The Storyline Service. Worldbuilding, Plots, Characters & Internal Consistency!

Started by Vell, January 07, 2008, 07:03:48 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Vell

send that thing my way and I'll look at it at my earliest convenience.

Vell

Sending out a general apology to all people, however, good news: MY MUSE IS BACK UNDER CONTROL \o/

This means I can finally be counted on to respond to your stuff for real. Just, those who still need / want my help, shoot me a pm asking about it, would you? >.< I feel kind of bad about all that, people.

Vell

There's a new addition to the service. He should be around to introduce himself.

Mystic Mage

April 22, 2011, 05:04:41 pm #243 Last Edit: April 22, 2011, 05:06:24 pm by Mystic Mage
Hello! It's the new guy, and I thought I'd join the Storyline Service since brainstorming story ideas and plot elements is one of my main strengths.

Here are some things I can help with:
Mythology is a great interest of mine and I am well versed Greek/Roman, Norse, Japanese, Egyptian, and European mythologies. I am also well-rounded in general folklore from many different regions and have some knowledge of Celtic lore.
I can come up with fantastical scenerios of many types, such as omens, prophecies, book stories within the game, or history, and I can create multi-faceted characters' background/biographies from scratch.
Need some lore for a specific weapon, armor, or item? I can come up with it. I'll be as detailed or concise as you like.
Need unique names for characters, weapons/armor, or creatures? I work well with Latin and Greek roots and can form a name which has a specific and story-related meaning.
My main genre focus is fantasy and urban fantasy, but I also work well with macabre / horror and sci-fi, especially alien cultures within the sci-fi genre.

Times: 1pm - 9pm Central Standard Time for Weekdays. As for weekends just check for me. I might be on.

Mapper2100

Heyy,

I was wondering if i could get some help updating, expanding, and making my story... I have the basic outline for the story... Its very new and theres not much too it but here it goes.

Cinnabar Knights:  A group of rebel knights that all wear red (some say blood stained) armor, and plan on taking over their respective kingdoms. Zackariah (Protagonist) and his band of thieves, and other loyal knights, want to stop this uprising, and are paid for their work around the globe, slowly destroying all the Cinnabar Knights, Soo they think. What they fail to realize is that the Cinnabar Knights, are have an evil sorcerer, who brings them back from the underworld as they die.

Thanks in advance people

Matt (Mapper2100)

Mystic Mage

April 24, 2011, 10:27:36 pm #245 Last Edit: April 25, 2011, 06:37:04 pm by Mystic Mage
@Mapper2100

I'll take the case! Haha.

Anything else you can give me though like what direction you want it to take, some aspects of the world they live in, or a little bit more about the different groups? The more you give me the more I have to work with.
You can send me the details in a PM, and after knocking around ideas I'll send you the possible options. Since it is your story I'll just try to give you many options, and you go with the one you like the most or what fits best ok?

Also, I'm not incredibly busy so if there is anyone that still has not been helped or needs more inspiration for their story then PM the details to me and I'll see what I can do.

WhiteRose

Quote from: Mystic Mage on April 25, 2011, 10:19:21 am
Sorry for the double post but it is for good reason.

The modify button is your friend. :)

Bradley_Theory

I have some points I'm sure of I'm going to put 'em in my story, but I need some more inspiration. So Mystic Mage, if you could help me that would be really nice. I can't PM atm, because I'm on a HORRIBLE Internet connection, so loading that page will cost like 30 minutes. If you can PM me about it, I'll answer it when I'm back home with good Internet.

Mystic Mage

GrieverSoft

All I want...(takes a swig from his Beck's)... is for someone to help me come up with a name.  Um, it's your typical medieval European fantasy setting, with a slight JRPG flavor (although, what I'm working on is very much a WRPG).  I need a name for a substance, a magical element, if you will.  Something ending in -ite, or -ium.  Meta speaking, it's simply a combination of Phazon (Metroid Prime), Lyrium (Dragon Age), Spice (Dune), and...I guess, the T-Virus (Resident Evil).

In the setting, before there were people or intelligent life, a meteor came crashing down on this typical medieval European fantasy setting.  It brought with it, the stuff I need help naming.

Its properties:

*Radiates magic energy.
*Can be lethal to living things in large quantities
*When processed into a salt-like spice and ingested, it can allow certain people to use magic, or simply makes them smarter/psychic
*Its crystalline form embeds itself in creatures, and over time, corrupts them into entities called "Anathaema" (undead/demons)
*It tends to internalize simple microbes.  over time, the microbes become brain cells, and the material (in large veins) becomes sentient
**Some cultures in the setting worship sentient veins as gods
*Dragons produce the stuff naturally, but most don't know this
*as a spice, it can be addictive
*It is responsible for the evolution of intelligent life in the setting (although, not responsible for the existence of humans...) by uplifting a bunch of harpy-like creatures into godlike beings.

If anyone can help me come up with a name for the stuff, please let me know?
I like pie.  The pie is also evil.

Vell

Anathite. (pronouncing the 'th' like a t, though)

GrieverSoft

While I thank you, I've been doing some research.  Most things ending in -ite, are a mineral.  Since the stuff is an element, not a compound, and is crystalline when pure, it cannot be a metal or a mineral, so it's name can't end in -um (such as aluminum, titanium, uranium, et, al).  The best thing it can end with is -on (such as carbon, boron, or...phazon, haha).  I like that you have actually been able to come up with something when I couldn't, but I must protest.  Calling it anethite (I'm assuming it's Anathaema, plus the suffix -ite, denoting a mineral that causes anathema of sorts).  That kinda reduces it to its undead-making qualities, does it not?  This element creates life, changes the world around it.  Because of the element, intelligent life in this setting exists, they can cast magic, create cities in the sky or even create life.  It's much more important that the fact that if it doesn't kill someone, it'll turn them into a zombie.  Can I get some more suggestions?  This name thing is killing me...

Oh, and I forgot to mention that when compounded with iron, it creates mithril in this setting.

Vell

Hey look at that, research.

Always happy to comply with research.

Claron?

Taking Clar from Clarity, it kind of uses it ironically - while it allows for creation and such, it also clearly has its drawbacks.

Veion? Since it causes those vein-things...

Mystic, got any suggestions?

Mystic Mage

April 29, 2011, 06:29:20 pm #253 Last Edit: April 29, 2011, 06:34:46 pm by Mystic Mage
I might have some suggestions.
Some things to note on how many elements get their names in real life is that they are usually root words which emphasize the properties of the element such as whether it is toxic, shines, burns, stinks, its texture, color, etc. Otherwise they are usually named the last name of the person who discovered it or even partly by where it was discovered. Also different cultures and people will have other names.

It might also be good to have more than one name for this substance. One for when it is a pure element, one for its mythril compound, and one for its spice form. This gives more diversity and makes its forms more specific. You could also have names for the dragon byproduct, the sentient vein structures, and even the built-up "poison" it becomes to make Anathema (anathema is a good name by the way.)

Considering the element came from space some good names could be:
Vivastron (vI-vast-ron) - something I came up with. In a sense would mean "star of life" combined roots of vivere "life" (Latin) and aster "star" (Greek).
Bioastron (bI-O-ast-ron) - same meaning as Vivastron but both roots are Greek. Bios - "life"

Also:
Arguron (ar-goor-on) - Simply the Greek word for silver. Means "to shine white". It might be a good name for the mythril alloy.
Kokaxion (kO-kacks-E-on) - something I came up with. In a sense it means "grain of worth" in Greek. This could be used for the spice form of the element.
Seirion (sE-ir-E-on) - literally means "scorching" in Greek. This could apply for when dragons make the element should it have anything to do with their fire-breathing processes.

If it is a certain color in any of these forms that could also affect the name. Same if it changes appearance (shape/texture/hardness).
I'll come up with some more if needed.

Vell

Knew there was a reason I hired this guy.

Mystic Mage

GrieverSoft

Mystic Mage

GrieverSoft

I was kidding.  Still haven't come up with anything, myself.  Do you want more details?

Mystic Mage

Quote from: GrieverSoft on May 04, 2011, 05:43:00 am
I was kidding.  Still haven't come up with anything, myself.  Do you want more details?

Heh, I thought so but I was not sure. :P
Sure, more details are nice. The more I have to work with the better results you'll get from me.
Also, did none of those names I put out suffice? It's fine if they don't fit what you were looking for, but I want to know if I was on the right track at all.