Anyone here also into Dubstep?

Started by Futendra, December 31, 2010, 08:13:02 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Futendra

So, I'm kinda trying to make Dubstep but I don't know, Is there anyone here into Dubstep?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hCO2-h5v6VQ

Subsonic_Noise

Not good. The wobble patch needs to be fixed badly, it particulary needs more bass, gain, detune, unisono spread and more importantly a more cutting filter.. I'd suggest the MS20FX but that one is a bit expensive so play around with different ones. You might also try layering multiple bass sounds, that's what professionals do anyways - have one bass with nice highs and filter out the lows, and one low bass with the treble filtered out, have them play the same notes and then root them to a effects channel where you compress them together. Also, an important part in dubstep is 1. That the LFO that controls the filter is temposynced 2. That you automate the LFO rate, so that the wobble speed changes (changes from straight notes to triplets work great in my opinion)  and 3. That the bass stops at times (have pauses, goddamnit) and plays the characteristic 1 and 6 halftone intervals.
Also, have some drops. Like, right before the bass kicks in, mute all tracks except one (this is often done with the vocal track) and have a synth or sample sweep from high frequency to low or the other way around, that usually works. You of course need a builtup until then, but I trust you know what that is.
Last but not  least, get a better mix down. I'd suggest using compression on every track (don't overdo it though) and then root all of them to a master channel where you compress them together, add a little reverb, a delay (delay time of 100-300ms and a mix of 0.2-0.5 usually works for me, makes it sound more "alive") and then EQ up the bass and treble... be careful not to boost the resonant bass frequencies though, or it will end up reaally muddy. I'm too lazy to look those up though so good luck.

There you go, a step by step guide to Dubstep. The rest is up to your creativity.

Futendra

December 31, 2010, 10:53:24 am #2 Last Edit: December 31, 2010, 10:54:59 am by Futendra
Quote from: Subsonic_Noise on December 31, 2010, 10:00:33 am
Not good. The wobble patch needs to be fixed badly, it particulary needs more bass, gain, detune, unisono spread and more importantly a more cutting filter.. I'd suggest the MS20FX but that one is a bit expensive so play around with different ones. You might also try layering multiple bass sounds, that's what professionals do anyways - have one bass with nice highs and filter out the lows, and one low bass with the treble filtered out, have them play the same notes and then root them to a effects channel where you compress them together. Also, an important part in dubstep is 1. That the LFO that controls the filter is temposynced 2. That you automate the LFO rate, so that the wobble speed changes (changes from straight notes to triplets work great in my opinion)  and 3. That the bass stops at times (have pauses, goddamnit) and plays the characteristic 1 and 6 halftone intervals.
Also, have some drops. Like, right before the bass kicks in, mute all tracks except one (this is often done with the vocal track) and have a synth or sample sweep from high frequency to low or the other way around, that usually works. You of course need a builtup until then, but I trust you know what that is.
Last but not  least, get a better mix down. I'd suggest using compression on every track (don't overdo it though) and then root all of them to a master channel where you compress them together, add a little reverb, a delay (delay time of 100-300ms and a mix of 0.2-0.5 usually works for me, makes it sound more "alive") and then EQ up the bass and treble... be careful not to boost the resonant bass frequencies though, or it will end up reaally muddy. I'm too lazy to look those up though so good luck.

There you go, a step by step guide to Dubstep. The rest is up to your creativity.

I guess you forgot im only using FL so NONE of the things u say are possible, I cant filter at all in FL... And im dutch so its kidna hard to understand the stuff you are talking about

Subsonic_Noise

Quote from: Futendra on December 31, 2010, 10:53:24 am

I guess you forgot im only using FL so NONE of the things u say are possible, I cant filter at all in FL... And im dutch so its kidna hard to understand the stuff you are talking about

As much as I dislike FL, I've seen people make more than decent dubstep in it. Also, listen to Blizzards "Ticket to Heaven", it's made in FL.. and guess what it has right at the beginning? A filter sweep! Magic!
But if you are immune to critique and any kinds of helpful tips, go forth and continue making aweful music and thinking it's great. I'd be happy if anyone gave me guidelines like this, that would have spared me alot of time finding it out by myself. You don't know what some words mean? Then look them up. Science damn it.

Futendra

December 31, 2010, 11:07:54 am #4 Last Edit: December 31, 2010, 11:13:32 am by Futendra
Quote from: Subsonic_Noise on December 31, 2010, 11:04:23 am
Quote from: Futendra on December 31, 2010, 10:53:24 am

As much as I dislike FL, I've seen people make more than decent dubstep in it. Also, listen to Blizzards "Ticket to Heaven", it's made in FL.. and guess what it has right at the beginning? A filter sweep! Magic!
But if you are immune to critique and any kinds of helpful tips, go forth and continue making aweful music and thinking it's great. I'd be happy if anyone gave me guidelines like this, that would have spared me alot of time finding it out by myself. You don't know what some words mean? Then look them up. Science damn it.

I never said I dislike the tips and I want to know more, but since I have no tought of filters and I dont understand half of what you say, Its giving me a hard time. You had no reason of totally breaking me off... I WANT help, as this topic says... But well, If you dont want to anymore, nvm...

EDIT: I don't know all your terms, and I dont know what you mean by filter, In my meanings its splitting up 2 sounds, as I saw and done. But when you said the song of blizzard, I can't hear 2 sounds splitting? or whatever? I'm a padawan at this...

Blizzard

I did it even better in Purification.
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

Futendra

Quote from: Blizzard on December 31, 2010, 11:18:03 am
I did it even better in Purification.

What do you mean?

Guess I should bring my Age out, as people may be confused, ...

Blizzard

What I said. I did the sweeping sound / phaser / flanger a lot better on the strings in my song Purification.

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

Futendra

Quote from: Blizzard on December 31, 2010, 11:56:45 am
What I said. I did the sweeping sound / phaser / flanger a lot better on the strings in my song Purification.

You use FL? Then can you help?

Diokatsu

>Dubstep
>creativity
Pick one

As long as you can get out of making your Dubstep sound exactly like everyone elses, then I wish you luck. But please don't just stick with familiar patterns. Please, please, please. I can't stand 95% of the Dubstep I've heard. It might even be good, but it's just just not a progressive genre. Still, good luck.

Futendra

Quote from: Diokatsu on December 31, 2010, 12:15:35 pm

>Dubstep
>creativity
Pick one

As long as you can get out of making your Dubstep sound exactly like everyone elses, then I wish you luck. But please don't just stick with familiar patterns. Please, please, please. I can't stand 95% of the Dubstep I've heard. It might even be good, but it's just just not a progressive genre. Still, good luck.

I will remaster 95% of my songs ;) Then I will spend more time on my songs and try to make them more intresting and with more changement in the song.

Subsonic_Noise

>Dubstep
>creativity
Pick one

It can be as long as it's not the usual 08/15 WOBWOBWOBWOBWOB. Eskmo is technically dubstep.

Futendra

Quote from: Subsonic_Noise on December 31, 2010, 12:52:51 pm

>Dubstep
>creativity
Pick one

It can be as long as it's not the usual 08/15 WOBWOBWOBWOBWOB. Eskmo is technically dubstep.

Hey sub, help me get my variety down, What should I do for variety?

Subsonic_Noise

Quote from: Futendra on December 31, 2010, 12:58:06 pm

>Dubstep
>creativity
Pick one

Don't give a fuck about genres. If you feel like having a piano sonatine combined with a dubstep bass, go for it. If you want to do Dubstep without a Wobble, sure, that can be done, too. You get the hint.
The laws of music are made for orientation, not for strictly following them.

Futendra

Quote from: Subsonic_Noise on December 31, 2010, 01:35:01 pm
Quote from: Futendra on December 31, 2010, 12:58:06 pm

>Dubstep
>creativity
Pick one

Don't give a fuck about genres. If you feel like having a piano sonatine combined with a dubstep bass, go for it. If you want to do Dubstep without a Wobble, sure, that can be done, too. You get the hint.
The laws of music are made for orientation, not for strictly following them.

I'll remaster it like this: Intro is busy then I stop all the background layers, setting up the vocals, Then like 1 second no sound, then go over to my drop, built up for the wobble, use like 3 wobbles, 3 basses, 1 with the hi hats , one with the bass put in a diff order and one with an echo, I will try to makwe a non wobble part and use the intro sound for a background noise. Will this be okay?

tSwitch

The song you posted lacks body, it feels empty and it's also completely missing bass, which is odd to say the least when you're trying to make dubstep.  It needs to be HEAVY.

FCF3a A+ C- D H- M P+ R T W- Z- Sf RLCT a cmn+++ d++ e++ f h+++ iw+++ j+ p sf+
Follow my project: MBlok | Find me on: tSwitch.us | Twitter | Tumblr

Futendra

Quote from: NAMKCOR on January 09, 2011, 08:37:14 am
The song you posted lacks body, it feels empty and it's also completely missing bass, which is odd to say the least when you're trying to make dubstep.  It needs to be HEAVY.
Yes but read the comments of the video, it says the VIP version has better bass (which is true) oh wait I didnt upload the VIP yet

Subsonic_Noise

Quote from: Futendra on January 09, 2011, 09:26:32 am
Yes but read the comments of the video, it says the VIP version has better bass (which is true) oh wait I didnt upload the VIP yet

...VIP... version..?

Futendra

Quote from: Subsonic_Noise on January 09, 2011, 09:34:41 am

...VIP... version..?
Ye ima upload it soon

Subsonic_Noise

You do know that VIP means Very Important Person and the correct abbrevation for "Work in Progress" is actually WIP?

tSwitch

Then upload the better version.

Power Hungry Midget

I had a listen, it's not too bad but I wouldn't really consider it dubstep. Even if I'm not too familiar with dubstep, I'm fairly sure it needs some BASS! Then it'll actually be more like dubstep. Personally I don't think you should set out to produce something within a particular guideline or boundary, there are no lines in music.

The plot thickens......

I have a mind to join a club and then beat you over the head with it.
     -Groucho Marx
I often quote myself. I find it adds spice to the conversation.
     -George Bernard Shaw

http://xkcd.com/303

Bigamy is having one wife too many. Monogamy is the same.
    -Oscar Wilde

Futendra

Quote from: Power Hungry Midget on January 10, 2011, 09:47:39 am
I had a listen, it's not too bad but I wouldn't really consider it dubstep. Even if I'm not too familiar with dubstep, I'm fairly sure it needs some BASS! Then it'll actually be more like dubstep. Personally I don't think you should set out to produce something within a particular guideline or boundary, there are no lines in music.

I know but I first used some toturial showing how to make a wobble in FL, and turned otu pretty good, searched for further stuff around it, but currently im too busy with school and with my rmxp projects, so it will be a while before I upload the other version, make new songs

Subsonic_Noise

Quote from: Futendra on January 10, 2011, 12:00:43 pm

I know but I first used some toturial showing how to make a wobble in FL, and turned otu pretty good,

No, that wobble is aweful. Try around more until you find a good sound.. I actually gave you pretty good tips.
Here's a reference on what a good wobble can sound like:
http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/371157

Futendra

Quote from: Subsonic_Noise on January 10, 2011, 12:28:14 pm

I know but I first used some toturial showing how to make a wobble in FL, and turned otu pretty good,

No, that wobble is aweful. Try around more until you find a good sound.. I actually gave you pretty good tips.

How do you make it sound like that? on FL?

Subsonic_Noise

Quote from: Futendra on January 10, 2011, 12:35:49 pm

How do you make it sound like that? on FL?

Learn some fucking theory on audio synthesis.

Blizzard

Now that's one good wobble. <3 I kept listening to it for 3 minutes until I realized it was on a loop.

Subsonic_Noise

Quote from: Blizzard on January 10, 2011, 02:58:23 pm

Now that's one good wobble. <3 I kept listening to it for 3 minutes until I realized it was on a loop.

I love wobble basses that seem to speak, like how this one says "Yoooiii" XD or the one in "Basshead" by Bassnectar which makes a sound that sounds like "Aia".. no clue how he does that, I can only guess it's a vocal formant filter synced to an LFO of some sort, with added bitcrusher for the dirty sound.

tSwitch

I think it said somewhere on the page that he used vocals for it, and then filtered it.

Subsonic_Noise

Quote from: NAMKCOR on January 10, 2011, 07:44:07 pm
I think it said somewhere on the page that he used vocals for it, and then filtered it.

That... would be unusal. But epic.

tSwitch

they reminded me of the vocals from some daft punk songs (namely how it sounded like a highly filtered "yeah" except pitched down and filtered more to sound more like noise than robot speech)

I wouldn't be surprised if that's how it was made.

Power Hungry Midget

Futendra! I listened to high voices of doom on youtube cos' I'm subscribed to you. Thanks for returning the favour by the way :V
The drums are off the rhythm of the rest of the song, if you fix them it would sound a bit better. Also, I hate Bieber as much as I hate the rest of the mass produced shite but I hate that people give out about his voice.  What's wrong with a high voice? I mean his music is shockingly bad, but can't we just pretend he's not there? Also it's lacking something to wrap it all together. Although it's a general improvement on your first pieces.

The plot thickens......

I have a mind to join a club and then beat you over the head with it.
     -Groucho Marx
I often quote myself. I find it adds spice to the conversation.
     -George Bernard Shaw

http://xkcd.com/303

Bigamy is having one wife too many. Monogamy is the same.
    -Oscar Wilde

Futendra

Quote from: Power Hungry Midget on February 09, 2011, 03:48:49 pm
Futendra! I listened to high voices of doom on youtube cos' I'm subscribed to you. Thanks for returning the favour by the way :V
The drums are off the rhythm of the rest of the song, if you fix them it would sound a bit better. Also, I hate Bieber as much as I hate the rest of the mass produced shite but I hate that people give out about his voice.  What's wrong with a high voice? I mean his music is shockingly bad, but can't we just pretend he's not there? Also it's lacking something to wrap it all together. Although it's a general improvement on your first pieces.
thanx, and I know the bass rythm isnt really too good but since my pc crashed I lost some files of the song so I cant update it anymore, and I also know about JB but it was a request by a friend, she also tought of a name, so ye... I am now alot inspired by rusko. But I will try to ask some help to Eptic, whos on my school. Thx for the comment!

Futendra