Beginners Trouble

Started by monkeydash, January 06, 2011, 10:32:25 am

Previous topic - Next topic

monkeydash

Hi. I have only just started using Rpg Maker XP with Blizz ABS.
I'm having a few teething problems. Seems like everything I try to do goes wrong at some stage and is normally down to something simple.

I've been searching the site threads and reading and re-reading the manual, but its been difficult to find answers.

My problem at the moment is that for the game opening, I have had my player character speak to a doctor as an introduction.
After the intro, I would like the Doctor to no longer say the intro things, but something else like 'good to see you'. Ill change it later, but for now it will be a placeholder.
The intro works fine, but once that is done, the doctor does not do what I want him to.

To try and fix this I had a switch turn off at the end of the intro, which makes the doctor disappear and an identical one appear in its place which has different events. But he wont respond when I press enter.

WhiteRose

Turn on a Switch at the end of the intro. In the event that you would like to change after the intro, create a second Event Page, and create a condition that that Switch must be on.

It'll look something like this:
Spoiler: ShowHide

monkeydash

Thanks for the fast reply.

It hasnt seemed to work though.
I was wondering if it might be something to do with him having \e[ID] in his name. Do these types not talk to you?

WhiteRose

Quote from: monkeydash on January 06, 2011, 10:49:33 am
Thanks for the fast reply.

It hasnt seemed to work though.
I was wondering if it might be something to do with him having \e[ID] in his name. Do these types not talk to you?

Yes. Having that in the name of an event while using Blizz-ABS (which I assume you are if you're using that,) will make it an enemy event. Enemy's Event Code won't execute until after you've defeated them. If you want this to be just an NPC that you don't fight, I'd recommend leaving that out of his name.

monkeydash

I'll take that out of the name in that case.
Is there a way of making it so that he becomes an enemy if I attack him?

WhiteRose

Quote from: monkeydash on January 06, 2011, 10:56:53 am
I'll take that out of the name in that case.
Is there a way of making it so that he becomes an enemy if I attack him?

As far as I know, you can't have an NPC that you can both talk to and have respond to attacks due to a limitation in Blizz-ABS. Of course, I could be wrong.

monkeydash

Ok. Thanks for your help.
Let me know if you find out otherwise  :D

Blizzard

You have alignment groups for that kind of thing. You can assign the doctor to be in the NPC group which will automatically turn him into an enemy of the player if the player attacks him deliberately.
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

WhiteRose

Quote from: Blizzard on January 06, 2011, 11:22:41 am
You have alignment groups for that kind of thing. You can assign the doctor to be in the NPC group which will automatically turn him into an enemy of the player if the player attacks him deliberately.

Right. But, unless I'm mistaken, you can't speak with a character who has the \e[ID] tag regardless of what group they're in, as their event code only executes upon their death, right?

monkeydash

Taking out the \e has allowed him to act as I wanted him to.
It's a shame though that he can only be either a monster or an NPC and not both.

Another question. Is there a way of making a quest log? Just something to note down what current objectives are.

WhiteRose

Quote from: monkeydash on January 06, 2011, 11:33:15 am
Taking out the \e has allowed him to act as I wanted him to.
It's a shame though that he can only be either a monster or an NPC and not both.

Another question. Is there a way of making a quest log? Just something to note down what current objectives are.

You have a few different options of quest log scripts, depending on how you want to handle it. Here are a few I recommend:

Zeriab's Quest Book:
http://forum.chaos-project.com/index.php?topic=2325.0

G_G's Quest Log:
http://forum.chaos-project.com/index.php?topic=3689.0

winkio

you can take the \e out, and then in the normal event code, once it finishes displaying whatever text, you can rename the event to become an enemy:

$game_map.rename_event(EVENT_ID, 'NEW_NAME')

monkeydash

Thank you. I think I will use G_Gs

Blizzard

Quote from: WhiteRose on January 06, 2011, 11:24:43 am
Quote from: Blizzard on January 06, 2011, 11:22:41 am

Right. But, unless I'm mistaken, you can't speak with a character who has the \e[ID] tag regardless of what group they're in, as their event code only executes upon their death, right?

You can. Custom Event Triggers. :)
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

monkeydash

January 08, 2011, 01:56:22 pm #14 Last Edit: January 08, 2011, 03:12:55 pm by monkeydash
A few more questions.

What is the difference between a pet and a party member?
Is a pet more like a summon or will it stay with you all the time?

Is there a way of adding more stats to the characters. At the moment they have a few (STR, AGI) etc. But I'd like to have a couple more including things like Charisma.

Is there a way of having a maximum amount of items characters can carry or a weight system?

My character seems to be shooting projectiles from his feet, how can I change that? I searched the site and I found something saying about Y axis displacement but I cant find where that option is.

I was looking at the Tons of Add ons pack. A few of the things in it are already in Blizz abs so would having them installed twice cause any problems?

Im using an event system to automatically hotkey ammo for a gun, but you still have to push the hotkey for the gun to fire (I assume to equip it). Is there a way to automatically equip it?

I think thats all for now. :)

Holyrapid

2 and 3 would require a special script each.
For the tons thing, i think that BABS automatically shuts the ones in tons if they're active.
For the other problems, i currently don't have a solution.

Starrodkirby86

Blizz-ABS should have a section on pets in the manual that should answer your questions. OwO

Check 3.3.12.

It looks like a pet is pretty much a summon that's only temporary.

What's osu!? It's a rhythm game. Thought I should have a signature with a working rank. ;P It's now clickable!
Still Aqua's biggest fan (Or am I?).

WhiteRose

Quote from: monkeydash on January 08, 2011, 01:56:22 pm
A few more questions.

What is the difference between a pet and a party member?
Is a pet more like a summon or will it stay with you all the time?

Is there a way of adding more stats to the characters. At the moment they have a few (STR, AGI) etc. But I'd like to have a couple more including things like Charisma.

Is there a way of having a maximum amount of items characters can carry or a weight system?

My character seems to be shooting projectiles from his feet, how can I change that? I searched the site and I found something saying about Y axis displacement but I cant find where that option is.

I was looking at the Tons of Add ons pack. A few of the things in it are already in Blizz abs so would having them installed twice cause any problems?

Im using an event system to automatically hotkey ammo for a gun, but you still have to push the hotkey for the gun to fire (I assume to equip it). Is there a way to automatically equip it?

I think thats all for now. :)

For the item limit, try this script:
http://forum.chaos-project.com/index.php?topic=4066.0

Blizz-ABS and Tons were built to be compatible with each other, so no, having them both in your game isn't going to cause any issues.

There isn't a way to automatically equip ammo yet; better ammo handling is planned for a future version of Blizz-ABS, however.

A pet, as far as I know, is a party member who cannot be directly controlled. I may be mistaken. Check the manual to be sure.

Adding more stats would require custom scripts, such as this one, which adds a "Luck" stat:
http://forum.chaos-project.com/index.php?topic=1810.0

The best way to have your projectiles appear at the proper place is to move the sprite on its spritesheet; just take that whole row and move it up a few pixels.

monkeydash

Thanks for the replies.

I might use that items max thing. I'd rather have a weight system, but that will do fine.

Found that 'luck' stat. I'll be using that. Does anyone know a way of making it so it is not hidden though?

Found the pets thing in the manual.

Quote4.3.4. Summons
There are two types of summons: Pets and Monsters. They are technically the same. The only difference is that Pets get EXP just like normal party members and they can level up and become stronger. Both Pets and Monsters are in reality actors. When a Pet or Monster is summoned, it is always restored to a fully healed state. Summons integrate themselves into the Caterpillar in the order they were summoned. Summons are not saved which means that summoned pets and monsters will disappear after saving and loading the game. Summoning is not possible if Caterpillar is turned off!

So I'll most likely make the pet in the game an actual actor as I would rather it be around all the time. Though I did like the idea of not being able to control it.

Any idea when the new Blizz ABS will be out? Thats exciting news.
Despite all the problems Im having at the moment I can totally recognise that its a genius piece of kit.

Starrodkirby86

For Luck's case, if you wanted it to be visible at, say, the Status screen on the Menu, then you need to edit Window_Status, probably adding a new line after draw_actor_parameter. I'm not quite sure what goes there though, since I don't really any scripting knowhow. :c If you have a custom menu, then locate the section that handles the status window in that script.

You can find out some Blizz-ABS stuff by checking the main thread, and you can see some of winkio's progress in the Bugs and Suggestion thread as well.

http://forum.chaos-project.com/index.php/topic,6164.0.html

What's osu!? It's a rhythm game. Thought I should have a signature with a working rank. ;P It's now clickable!
Still Aqua's biggest fan (Or am I?).