Version Numbering Formats

Started by Fantasist, January 08, 2008, 02:06:27 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Fantasist

First things first: be original. Don't worry about getting laughed at.

Here are some formats, you can get the general idea:

This is suggested by Susys:
Quotei made up of a simple formula for this:

X.Y.E

X: The product version

Y: Product minor version

E: Minor enchants to the product

EX:

the 2 meand thers about 2 chapters in the game.
the 5 means ther are about 4 extra side quests and 1 extra feature.
the 9 meand thers 9 extra item or skills.

now when the 5 becomes a 10 you have to make 2 a 3
and if the 9 becomes a 20 change the 5 to a 6

and if u want 4 numbers

the first 3 numbers r the same

the 500 is like how close you it is to make the 2 a 3 (out of 1000 or you can make it out of a %)

Falcon's method:
QuoteHere's what I use.

A.BC

A = Complete Rewrites
B = Functional Additions
C = Bug Fixes

Blizzard's method:
QuoteI usually use only 2 numbers.

v.a

v - main version
a - minor version

I change v only when I come with a to 9 or I overwork the complete code and change half of it. I only managed to get with a to 9 with my party switcher. When I fix some really minor bugs or add some vers imple options, I add a third number

v.ab

Only in big stuff I use four numbers

v.a.b.c

v - main version
a - grand changes (my Blizz-ABS will be 1.1.0.0 when I've done all the stuff I wanted)
b - normal changes
c - any little change

That's what I use for my game and my Blizz-ABS only so far. And I usually don't add a "b" like "v1.4b" when I release a script the first time. I add it when I fix the first bugs that come up when somebody tries it out. It means "beta", lol! I don't use the "b" when I use 4 numbers though.

Fantasist's method (it's me, lol):
QuoteI think I'll use a.b.c.
a - Major changes/rewrite, the main version number.
b - Minor changes and enhancements.
c - Really minor changes, which are not worth mentioning.

Bug fixes are added to either a, b or c depending on the severity of the bug.

mastermoo420's suggestion (really amusing):
QuoteOr, you can plainly go for the gusto. Start out with v1 and just make it v1.0 with as many .0's as you want. Then when you go on, you can make it look professional with things such as v1.1.3 when all you've really done is add a line of code :V But the main thing, I suppose, is to go with the flow.

Do you like ambient/electronic music? Then you should promote a talented artist! Help out here. (I'm serious. Just listen to his work at least!)

The best of freeware reviews: Gizmo's Freeware Reviews

Blizzard

I admit the I catch myself sometimes thinking stuff like "Yeah... Blizz A.B.S. two dot zero... now, that sounds awesome... Chaos Project... Final Demo... one dot six dot two dot zero... yeah... I'm great..."

(^_^')
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

Sally

Nortos

Quote from: Blizzard on January 08, 2008, 03:33:06 pm
I admit the I catch myself sometimes thinking stuff like "Yeah... Blizz A.B.S. two dot zero... now, that sounds awesome... Chaos Project... Final Demo... one dot six dot two dot zero... yeah... I'm great..."

(^_^')

lol I might use a forumula with even more numbers and so I can have some self love for me :P

Galatea

I cant understant it.
I really suck at numbers.  :-[

Calintz

Fantasist

January 09, 2008, 11:47:45 pm #6 Last Edit: January 09, 2008, 11:50:31 pm by Fantasist
QuoteI admit the I catch myself sometimes thinking stuff like "Yeah... Blizz A.B.S. two dot zero... now, that sounds awesome... Chaos Project... Final Demo... one dot six dot two dot zero... yeah... I'm great..."

(^_^')
I know, it feels good :)

EDIT: Should this go into Tutes?
Do you like ambient/electronic music? Then you should promote a talented artist! Help out here. (I'm serious. Just listen to his work at least!)

Nortos

hmm yeah I think so as it's a tut on the way to describe how you make versions

Fantasist

It was in tutes in the old forum, but it's not really tute, all I say is 'be original', right? It's just a collection of formats for people to get an idea.

Blizzard

I think it's fine here. It's a discussion about RM, isn't it?

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

Nortos

yeah :P I suppose doesn't really matter either way

Fantasist

Sally

i like the one suggested by susys.. i dont know why.. it just makes it seem... proffesional... :)

Calintz

Kinda puts thing in better perspective...

Sally

Oculus Octopus

Heh, mastermoo's is the most amusing, but these are pretty useful. I don't think a lot of beginners actually follow any sort of guidelines when it comes to this, and just sorta toss some numbers and dots in every now and then to make it look professional.

I use the same format that Falcon stated, it works the best for me. If I use any less/more numbers I completely throw myself off and just end up switching back to this format.

Nortos

January 11, 2008, 06:30:59 am #16 Last Edit: January 11, 2008, 06:31:50 am by Nortos
Quote from: Oculus Octopus on January 11, 2008, 05:49:36 am
Heh, mastermoo's is the most amusing, but these are pretty useful. I don't think a lot of beginners actually follow any sort of guidelines when it comes to this, and just sorta toss some numbers and dots in every now and then to make it look professional.

Shhhhhh don't give away my system :P

Soul of chaos

can we use version numbering like v0.1 and stuff like that? ???

Fantasist

Yeah, They're alphas, still under development. I personally use "Alpha 1" instead of v0.1.

Blizzard

Some exception that I use is Proto Version. Proto Version 1 is the first working form of a part of the script. Like, my path finder for Blizz-ABS was Proto Version 4 before I implemented the final version into the Blizz-ABS with the dynamic updater that prevents lag.