Newbie's Guide to Chaos Project

Started by Starrodkirby86, January 18, 2011, 11:06:42 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Starrodkirby86

January 18, 2011, 11:06:42 pm Last Edit: January 18, 2011, 11:31:35 pm by Starrodkirby86
Newbie's Guide to Chaos Project

First, welcome to Chaos Project! This guide is here to give you some direction in the forum and familiarize yourself with everything. The guide is essentially formatted into an FAQ-style layout for ease of viewing to everyone. Bare with me now! Anytime there's a sentence mentioning a link, just go click on the blue text saying "here" (or "this"), though you probably already know that, right? :V:

Q: All right...so what should I do first?
A: If you're new to message boards, you may unfamiliar with certain emoticons and acronyms. Blizzard's topic right here can help in getting yourself to decipher this "language". If you're unfamiliar with how the forums work, or how a SMF (Simple Machines Forum) works, then refer to the Help link part of the forum here. It's also conveniently at the navigation bar up top; just between Chat and Search.  :nod:

A must-read for every user though are the Forum Rules, listed here. Please do not overlook this! Communities each have different rules one must follow, so taking a good look at the rules can already get you in safe hands before any possible crisis happens. :xD: There's also Rules and Guidelines for Moderators, which, although not necessary to read, can give you a good idea of the forums atmosphere and further help you get the rules down. You can find that topic over here.

Q: Where can I find resources?
A: Resources are conveniently located on the Forum Index Page in Boards. Some of the best resources are able to get into the Chaos Project Database for easy access. There isn't much to say about here, but the best thing to inform you about is Chaos Project's fully automated Script Database. This particular Script Database can make things ridiculously easy to search for whatever script you desire. You can check it out over here.

For other resources, not only can you check the Resource Database and Board for any goodies, but there's also a Resource Link Thread complete with descriptions to suit your various needs. You can look at that here. Please note that due to financial, personal, or miscellaneous reasons, or especially the test of time, some websites on the list may not exist anymore. That is, unfortunately, something we all must accept (or not, just find or even make more :V: ).

Q: And what if I can't find what I'm looking for?
A: I suggest you read Rule 7 of the forums here.
Quote from: Blizzard on January 07, 2008, 06:01:58 pm
7. Use the Search function. There may already be a topic that exists that you're going to post about. If you have a problem with RPG Maker, chances are someone else has had this problem too. Search to see if the topic exists. If you can't find it, then feel free to post it; we won't get mad if you've actually TRIED to search.

Pretty please?

Q: How can I change my avatar (The image on the left side of the post below your username), or signature (Some text that appears at the end of each of your posts)?
A: On the navigation bar at the top of the forum, there's a section called Profile. Upon there, you're able to change many settings relating to the forum. For changing an avatar and signature, click on the section called "Forum Profile Information". Remember to read Rule 2 of the Forum Rules and make sure that your signature, if you so choose to have one, follows forum rules. As a side-note, you're also able to change the theme of Chaos-Project by clicking the section "Look and Layout Preferences". :)

Q: How do I add an image or spoiler?
A: Use the following code for images:

[img]http://imagesite.com/image.png[/img]

And use for the following code for spoilers:
[spoiler]Text or image to hide[/spoiler]

You can edit what the spoiler button says by following this:
[spoiler=TITLE TEXT]Text or image to hide[/spoiler]

Q: What are levels, and how should they affect me?
A: Some communities have a karma or reputation system based on a points-based system where users and up or lower each other's "karma" for whatever action they do. Levels work the same way. In order to be able to level up or down somebody, you must have at least ten posts. You can only level up/down the same person once per every two hours. To level someone up or down, go to any of their posts, see their level number, and click the link you deem appropriate.

Don't worry about levels too much. They are not part of some intricate online RPG, or they're not there to have some elitist community of Level 100+ members pick on lower levels. No, of course not. Just treat it as whatever you want it to be. If someone made an epic post or done a good deed, feel free to level them up! If someone's being a complete idiot and breaking rules, feel free to level them down. Your actions will remain completely anonymous.

Also, since levels don't really have any tangible meaning, don't feel depressed if your level is down on the ropes. If your level is low, then consider that as the community's reactions to your behavior. Perhaps reconsidering in how you behave in the forums can be the most beneficial way to up your level, instead of whining or even getting banned.

Q: What are these titles under my username?
A: These are called membergroups! The more you post, the higher your rank will be. :D Of course, don't use this as an excuse to start spamming. You still need to follow the Forum Rules, after all! The membergroups goes as this:

TitleRequired post count
n00b0
Basic Member10
Reborn Member100
Celestial Dreamer250
Ethereal Devastator500
Astral Trancist1000
Lexima Warrior2000
Guardian of Chaos3000
Chaos Ultimate5000
Has over 9000 posts9001

Q: Hey! Some people have some really cool rank titles that aren't part of the list. What's up with that?
A: Those are custom titles awarded to users for anything notable they've done. Don't ask for one; you might not be getting the title you're hoping for...  :roll:

Q: Is it okay to necropost?
A: If you read Rule 3 of the Forum Rules, you'll see that necroposting is fine as long as the necropost is constructive and relevant enough. A good rule of thumb is that when replying, if you see a red warning stating the topic is older than 90 days, if your post, in your eyes, provides enough new information or is relevant enough to revive the thread, then post. Otherwise, it's best to stay away from such inactive posts, especially if your post is only a small comment.

Q: What am I allowed to ask on the Shoutbox at the bottom of the page?
A: The Shoutbox is used for any amusing chatter, fun discussion, and the like. Happy stuff! You're also able to ask simple, quick questions in the Shoutbox. However...The Shoutbox is NOT for:

• Answering complex questions, such as script or event system help. Create a topic instead! Not only more people will be able to look at your topic, your message will have a higher chance of NOT getting ignored.

• Advertising your website or request threads. You can say that something is done and link to the topic, but don't just make a request topic and then post a link to that request in the Shoutbox the next second. Also, shouting about your website isn't right at all too. Post on the Advertising Board (After 30 useful posts, of course).

• Spamming, rule-breaking, or anything of the like. This one is pretty obvious.

• Orgies.

Q: How can I change my display name?
A: Politely ask an active Global Moderator or Blizzard to change your username. Of course, it's up to us to decide if it's tasteful enough to fly. Details and a list of changed display names are here. Please note that if your display name is changed, you still have to login using your old username (e.g. Even if I changed my name to something else, I still need to use Starrodkirby86 to login).

Q: How do I join Chaos Project Chat?
A: Try clicking on the Chat Link up top on the Navigation Bar. Alternatively, if you want to use a third party IRC client such as mIRC, XChat, or Trillian, then follow these two posts here and here.

Q: I need help with scripts.  What information should I post to get help quickly and easily?
A: In your post asking for help, include the names of the scripts if they are on this site, or links to the scripts if they are offsite.  If you are getting any error messages, post those as well.  Depending on the circumstances, you might want to post the names of any other custom scripts in your project that could cause a conflict.

If you want to refer to specific lines or a section of code, use the [code]                [/code] tags.

If you need help with a script from this site, you might be able to save yourself some time by looking through the script topic in the database to see if you question has already been asked or answered.  Also, you should refer to this post to be sure your scripts are in the right order.

Q: I have a question about the forums that isn't listed here.
A: If your question is about something in RPG Making, post in the appropriate board. If it's something about the forum in general, then by all means, make a post in this topic here!

Anyway, I hope you enjoy your time in Chaos Project! Become a great member and enjoy the community. :)

What's osu!? It's a rhythm game. Thought I should have a signature with a working rank. ;P It's now clickable!
Still Aqua's biggest fan (Or am I?).

ForeverZer0

I pray that this topic gets stickied, and becomes mandatory that all new members read and take a test on before joining CP.
I am done scripting for RMXP. I will likely not offer support for even my own scripts anymore, but feel free to ask on the forum, there are plenty of other talented scripters that can help you.

Starrodkirby86

Already stickied, my good man.

Yeah. My intention was to inform and possibly prevent anymore confusion, trouble, and other things that can be simply fixed with a useful information hub. xD

What's osu!? It's a rhythm game. Thought I should have a signature with a working rank. ;P It's now clickable!

ForeverZer0

Very fine job. Easy to understand and to the point. This topic should have been posted long ago.
* Levels up *
I am done scripting for RMXP. I will likely not offer support for even my own scripts anymore, but feel free to ask on the forum, there are plenty of other talented scripters that can help you.

winkio

January 18, 2011, 11:22:39 pm #4 Last Edit: January 18, 2011, 11:24:25 pm by winkio
Well done Star.  You should add a section for needing help with scripts:

Q: I need help with scripts.  What information should I post to get help quickly and easily?
A: In your post asking for help, include the names of the scripts if they are on this site, or links to the scripts if they are offsite.  If you are getting any error messages, post those as well.  Depending on the circumstances, you might want to post the names of any other custom scripts in your project that could cause a conflict.

If you want to refer to specific lines or a section of code, use the [code]                [/code] tags.

If you need help with a script from this site, you might be able to save yourself some time by looking through the script topic in the database to see if your question has already been asked or answered.  Also, you should refer to this post to be sure your scripts are in the right order.

Starrodkirby86

Added, thanks winkio!

Sooner or later I'm going to categorize these or at least have some table of contents. Might want to wait until I have some more questions that can naturally conform to each other or something if I wanted to separate them by category though...

We'll see. xD

WhiteRose

Good work, SRK! We really needed something like this. Excellent job. <3 This is why we needed you back. :)

Ryex

interesting that the forum went so long with out such a topic. Good work SRK. *Level UP*
I no longer keep up with posts in the forum very well. If you have a question or comment, about my work, or in general I welcome PM's. if you make a post in one of my threads and I don't reply with in a day or two feel free to PM me and point it out to me.<br /><br />DropBox, the best free file syncing service there is.<br />

Blizzard

You sexy beast, you.

Great post. I hope that this will clear up all the potential questions that a new member should have when joining our forum. Most members aren't usually aware what they are supposed to do so this should prove very useful.
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

Narzew

One part should be more- What i can update my script to script database.
Please fix my english!
More scripts & Art - informatykaplus.cba.pl
I'm a scripter.

Twb6543

This will happen when a moderator of that section decides it belongs in the databases. Please make sure your formatting is correct and wait PATIENTLY until it is moved (or left to die by a Mod/GMod).
If you put a million monkeys at a million keyboards, one of them will eventually write a Java program.
The rest of them will write Perl programs.