The nature of Arrogance

Started by Vell, January 20, 2011, 08:27:07 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Vell

I believe that arrogance is an attitude, and one that, when exhibited, is unnoticed by the exhibitor.

Subsonic_Noise

The nature of arrogance is winkio.

:V Also I agree with you.

Blizzard

I beg to differ. In my humble opinion the exhibitor does not necessarily have to be unaware of his exhibition. Or I am wrong and awareness of exhibiting arrogance is confidence.
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

winkio

The nature of cuddly is Subsonic <3

Also, wtf are we debating?

Vell

Quote from: Blizzard on January 20, 2011, 09:11:40 pm
I beg to differ. In my humble opinion the exhibitor does not necessarily have to be unaware of his exhibition. Or I am wrong and awareness of exhibiting arrogance is confidence.

While there are of course exceptions, I tend to notice that when people are being arrogant people who deserve to have a twat made of their rectum, they believe they are acting in an entirely rational and perhaps honest and polite manner.

Being aware of being arrogant imo and not caring would just mean being a cocky asshole.

EDIT: Impolite language used in this post is because the poster didn't care to take time out of the day to come up with suitable substitutes.

Ryex

I have to disagree too.

I am arrogant. that vast majority of the time. when I enter a room I take it for granted that I am if not the smartest them I'm one of the smartest people in said room. I've been proven wrong sometimes and I have to work to take it in stride but internally I'm shocked that there is some one smarter.

In conversations when I come up with a idea I'm often under the dilution that my Idea is likely the way to go.

and yet I'm aware of the fact. doesn't change the fact that I display it openly though, after all I'm arrogant
I no longer keep up with posts in the forum very well. If you have a question or comment, about my work, or in general I welcome PM's. if you make a post in one of my threads and I don't reply with in a day or two feel free to PM me and point it out to me.<br /><br />DropBox, the best free file syncing service there is.<br />

RoseSkye

What Ryex said but replace smartest with sexiest.

The Niche

What both of them said, as well as the best writer and probably the best game maker too.

I'm arrogant, very, very arrogant and if it wasn't deliberate, I'd probably be classified as narcissistic.
Level me down, I'm trying to become the anti-blizz!
Quote from: winkio on June 15, 2011, 07:30:23 pm
Ah, excellent.  You liked my amusing sideshow, yes?  I'm just a simple fool, my wit entertains the wise, and my wisdom fools the fools.

I'm like the bible, widely hated and beautifully quotable.

Dropbox is this way, not any other way!

Blizzard

Arrogance and narcissism don't have much in common. Narcissism is just loving oneself. I realized that none of these things are actually bad if you don't take them seriously yourself. Sure, I do love myself, but as much as I make jokes about me being awesome or whatever, I make jokes about me sucking big time as well. It's a win-win situation for me. I get to feel good about myself and I get to have fun with myself. If anybody is around, they get a piece of the fun as well.

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

Ryex

I agree, as long as a person has a healthy self esteem, nither arogance nor Narcissism is bad so long as they arn't taken to excess. you have to be aware of yourself
I no longer keep up with posts in the forum very well. If you have a question or comment, about my work, or in general I welcome PM's. if you make a post in one of my threads and I don't reply with in a day or two feel free to PM me and point it out to me.<br /><br />DropBox, the best free file syncing service there is.<br />

Blizzard

Also:

Quote from: UltaFlame on January 20, 2011, 10:12:27 pm
I tend to notice that when people are being arrogant people who deserve to have a twat made of their rectum

I totally agree.

The Niche

Quote from: Ryex on January 21, 2011, 05:30:15 am
I agree, as long as a person has a healthy self esteem, nither arogance nor Narcissism is bad so long as they arn't taken to excess. you have to be aware of yourself

Self esteem in the conditional tense? Arrogance/narcissism is probably going to mean you have very healthy self esteem. @Blizzard: Yup, if you're able to have a crack at yourself, it's all good. I learned that from here.
Ah, excellent.  You liked my amusing sideshow, yes?  I'm just a simple fool, my wit entertains the wise, and my wisdom fools the fools.

Blizzard

Narcissism yes, but arrogance no. IMO arrogance is usually the product of either insecurity or from confidence. But when it's created from confidence, it doesn't seem like repelling arrogance. It's actually compelling because it's a display of confidence.

The Niche

Oh, yeah, there's also that kind of arrogance. Which is being constantly streamed at me from three hundred and sixty directions. Maybe more.

Power Hungry Midget

I think it's important that people differentiate between general arrogance and a need to prove oneself. For example when I started Senior School, everyone was, arrogant you could say but it was more an urge to be recognised as superior.

The plot thickens......

I have a mind to join a club and then beat you over the head with it.
     -Groucho Marx
I often quote myself. I find it adds spice to the conversation.
     -George Bernard Shaw

http://xkcd.com/303

Bigamy is having one wife too many. Monogamy is the same.
    -Oscar Wilde

winkio

Since the conversation has turned from the definition of arrogance to explanations of the people who exhibit it, here's my view:

I don't judge people.  I guess you could call it empathy, or logic, or plain stupidity, but I just don't do it.  So when I see someone being arrogant, I don't blame the person.  I don't label them with shortcomings.  I just try my best to understand it.  It's how I learned to make friends with everyone, even people who seem like complete assholes.  It by no means makes me a nice person, it's not like I'm always trying to please everyone I meet.  I just don't make people out to be my enemies.

The Niche

Kind of off-topic, but meh. I don't make enemies of people. I know a lot of people, a lot of whom I don't consider friends, nor do I believe that they'll ever manage to change that. Probably because of my arrogance but whatever. So I'm a different person around them. I'm not arrogant, or hurtful in any way. Simply remote. However, people often react negatively to this since they've come to take people making an effort they won't return for granted.