Lexima Lols IV

Started by Blizzard, January 27, 2011, 06:12:55 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Blizzard

January 27, 2011, 06:12:55 am Last Edit: February 19, 2011, 04:46:42 am by Blizzard
Lexima Lols IV Contest

While I was talking to Valath on MSN, I wrote down Nemesissy. Those of you who have played CP know that the main antagonist is called Nemesis. And at that point I had a glorious idea: A contest!

What is it about?

Lexima Lols IV is a parody of Lexima Legends IV. In this contest your task is to create a parody of Lexima Legends IV in any segment you like. Those of you who have played the game will have an advantage so before the contest begins and before any rules have been laid down, there will be a suspense giving other members the time to play through the game. The sign-ups will be open until Monday. If there are no members who haven't played the game, the rules will be laid down right away and you can start working on it.

Feel free to do some brainstorming in the meantime and think of something for the game.

General Rules

Anything goes. Take a segment of the original game and make a complete parody of it. Take the whole game and make a parody of it. But there are certain rules that should be followed:

• The development time for the game is 20 days.

• The name of your game must be Lexima Lols IV - YOUR_SUBTITLE_HERE.

• Your game has to have elements from the original game. Elements can be considered almost anything. You can take the story or only parts. You can take the characters or use parody versions of the characters. You can take skill systems (the ones that are available publicly). And so on.

• You are allowed to use ANY kind of external resources and scripts.

• Your game has to be made in RMXP.

• Your game should have at least 30 minutes gameplay. For shorter games, there will be score penalties.

• Your game should not be longer than 3 hours. For longer games, there will be score penalties

• Games with hardlocks will not be disqualified. You are allowed to fix them if a judge reports your bug. Even though bugs and glitches will not affect your score directly, it will almost definitely lower the game experience and the judges will probably lower your score for that.

• Your game must be submitted to the judges unencrypted. The public version will be encrypted.

• Your game must not be released to the public until the end of the contest or until you decide to give up. After the contest is over, your game will be released.

Your game will be judged on the following segments:

• Entertaining Value: 40% (how entertaining the game is in general, how well the game is balanced, how well the eventing is executed)

• Comedic Value: 40% (how well executed is the parody aspect of the game including story, plot and relation to the original game)

• Graphics: 20% (how well you made use of the given resources, how well your mapping is)

Nobody expects you to make CP. You don't have to copy every feature CP has such as the day-and-night system. It's better if you make the story fun than make the game look nice.

Hint: Blizz-ABS is a good choice to make a game fun and challenging at the same time. Besides, many people are longing for a CP-themed Blizz-ABS game. xD

To make things interesting

Since some people can't keep their own schedule and others can, I had an idea how to give everybody more equal chances by setting up a schedule myself which you have to fulfill or you will be losing points. There will be 4 milestones.

• after 3 days (2011-02-15, 20:00 GMT): General Game Plan (includes story, game structure, game features)

• after 10 days (2011-02-22, 20:00 GMT): Game Prototype (meaning you have a playable demo even if it's only 5 minutes of gameplay)

• after 17 days (2011-03-01, 20:00 GMT): Alpha Version (meaning you have the complete game but it is not tested yet)

• after 20 days (2011-03-04, 20:00 GMT): Gold Master (meaning that the game is done)

You have probably noticed that there is no Beta Version. Here is why:
By definition the Alpha Version is the internal development version which is already the full game. It may be missing really minor features (such as game balance, some GUI elements or an unfinished version of the GUI). Alpha Versions can contain critical bugs and hardlocks (meaning that you can't finish the game). A Beta Version IS the full game. It has all features implemented, it has all content already inside and it has no hardlocks, only softlocks may appear (which means you can circumvent them somehow and finish the game anyway).
Beta Versions usually go out for testing by a second party (often called Beta Testers) and then the final adjustments are made in the game including bugfixes.
After the Beta Version the usual thing is a Release Candidate which is basically Beta Version plus bugfixes and changes that appeared to make sense.
After that comes the Gold Master which is the full game ready for release.

You are expected to deliver a report/demo after each milestone. If you do not deliver it, you can still continue in the contest, but you will lose points i.e. you will immediately lose a certain number of points for being late. If your game gets a score of 95 and you have been late on one milestone, your game might just lose 20 points. See how your score of 95 points suddenly went down to 75? You don't want that to happen.

The only milestone that you must respect is the final one: the deadline for your game entry in this contest.

Prize

The winner of the contest will get $15 sponsored by RoseSkye and a free copy of NAMKCOR's Colorful.

Participants

• The Niche & Power Hungry Midget

• Subsonic_Noise & Branden

Judges

Including myself, there will be 3 more judges. I will not judge directly, I will only add my input for the game. But be aware that my judging can affect your final score to some small degree.

• Ryex

• NAMKCOR

• RoseSkye

Disclaimer

By entering this contest:

• You agree that your game cannot be used for commercial gain.

• You agree that your game can be distributed freely.

• You agree that all the authors rights still belong to you.

Basically you can't sell your game, anybody is allowed to share and copy the game and nobody is allowed to take credit for your game except you.

Everything else

You can ask me for resources from CP after you are done with your gameplan (1st milestone). Basically your gameplan is supposed to have a list of resources that go with your game and that you need from CP.
If you ask after that, I might not give them to you. And obviously you can't simply ask me for all resources. The resources should be listed in your gameplan. It's ok if you forgot something, I don't mind sending you an additional character-set or something like that.

You will be provided with further instructions and information once the contest begins.

Here are a few game name examples for the uncreative:
Lexima Lols IV - The Search for Lexima Lols I, II and III
Lexima Lols IV - Nemesissy's Revenge
Lexima Lols IV - Cardboard Productions

And feel free to name your main villain Nemesissy. ;)
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

Ryex

oh well isn't that a good idea. alas my comedic powers are all but non existent when it come to parading someone else's work. that and my game development time would be severely hindered by my other interests... I would really like to judge if that's an option I've played the game three time and gotten all but one of the endings so I'm qualified in that respect I should think.
I no longer keep up with posts in the forum very well. If you have a question or comment, about my work, or in general I welcome PM's. if you make a post in one of my threads and I don't reply with in a day or two feel free to PM me and point it out to me.<br /><br />DropBox, the best free file syncing service there is.<br />

Blizzard

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

tSwitch

I will judge, seeing as my RMXP days are over.
I SHALL ENCOURAGE AND FOSTER A NEW GENERATION OF AWESOME.
BRING UNTO ME YOUR GLORIOUS GAMES, AND I SHALL JUDGE THEM WITH RIGHTEOUS FIRE!

FCF3a A+ C- D H- M P+ R T W- Z- Sf RLCT a cmn+++ d++ e++ f h+++ iw+++ j+ p sf+
Follow my project: MBlok | Find me on: tSwitch.us | Twitter | Tumblr

Blizzard

Added.

I also changed the rules a bit. The milestones are not shorter and the game only has to have a playtime of 1-3 hours. I figured that people probably don't want to spend so much time on a game meant for a contest. With this the effective time you really spend on it is 2 weeks and 3 days of intense testing before the final deadline.

RoseSkye

If you give me two month I'll enter.

Makeshift

January 29, 2011, 02:35:12 pm #6 Last Edit: January 29, 2011, 02:44:13 pm by Makeshift
2 questions

1.whats the prize

Well this isn't really a question but the link to Lexmia is down and ive never heard lexmia so could you put one up plz  :ninja:

Blizzard

I don't know why the link wasn't there. Maybe I didn't paste it right. It's fixed now.

As for the prize, how about the feeling that you participated in something great? :V Seriously, though, I don't have any prize yet. I forgot to type it down, but if anybody has suggestions for a prize, go ahead.

Xero

How about you write the winner a custom script Blizzard?  :P
This just looks to sick!

tSwitch

I can offer the winner of the game a free copy of Colorful with all pre-order benefits.
Runner up would get early beta access, but no free copy and no OST download.

Does that sound good?
Or do I think too highly of my game to use it as a prize >_>

Makeshift

Great idea that seems like pretty good motivation
quick question what is the pre order benifits cause i wanna get my hands on a colourful T-Shirt(Pardon the pun) if its not included i will buy one from you cause i really like you colourful design (Pardon the Pun)

tSwitch

January 29, 2011, 08:53:17 pm #11 Last Edit: January 29, 2011, 08:58:38 pm by NAMKCOR
I don't have shirts, lol  :^_^':
you get early access to beta builds, and you get the OST as a complementary download.

basically, since it's a 20 day competition (depending on how long the voting lasts) you'd gain access to the game at the same time a pre-order player would.  If the judging takes too long and it eclipses the release date, I can still retroactively give the OST download so you aren't missing out on that :)

Though for the runner-up that doesn't quite help :/

Makeshift

:shifty: *Whispers to NAMKCOR*

You know if you ever wanted to market shirts or merchindise ( i spelt that wrong didn't I )

theres this site called zazzle  :shifty:  i would gladly get a keyring of some sort

BTW No I dont work for them i know what your thinking

tSwitch

I don't think I can do external merchandise as pre-order specials, I'd have to buy them from the pre-order and donation profits, and that might eat it all.

Blizzard

NAMK, that's a great idea. :)

RoseSkye

I will honestly feel bad if I enter... there isn't a doubt in my mind that I'd win by landslide. Not an iota... not a shred... not a single doubt.

Blizzard

Why feel bad for something you deserve? You're lucky that NAMKCOR isn't entering or else this would have been a really interesting contest with you and him. xD

tSwitch

Can we have a timeline on judging set up?
If pre-order benefits are to be the prize for the winner, judging would have to be complete by early march, as the game is set to be released mid to late March.

Blizzard

I was thinking of one week so it would be complete by the end of February if the contest starts tomorrow (which is obviously not likely).

tSwitch

Quote from: Blizzard on January 30, 2011, 07:15:53 am
I was thinking of one week so it would be complete by the end of February if the contest starts tomorrow (which is obviously not likely).

ok.

Blizzard

I edited the first post, minimum time requirement for games is now 30 minutes instead of one hour.

tSwitch

let's see some entries!
you've got nothing to lose!

Blizzard

Just for reference: Teaming up with somebody is fine. ;)

RoseSkye

Quote from: Blizzard on January 30, 2011, 05:20:22 am
Why feel bad for something you deserve? You're lucky that NAMKCOR isn't entering or else this would have been a really interesting contest with you and him. xD

[arrogance]... a year ago maybe.[/arrogance]

tSwitch

RoseSkye

Blizz announce this... I'm willing to pay 15 bucks to the winner of said contest. I'll sit back as a judge (THIS TIME).

Blizzard

*announces*

So the winner gets $15 from RoseSkye, lol!

Subsonic_Noise

Quote from: Blizzard on February 07, 2011, 10:49:06 am
*announces*

So the winner gets $15 from RoseSkye, lol!

The price is not the 15$, but getting it from RoseSkye.

Blizzard

tSwitch

It's probably all in $1's

The Niche

I'll have a crack at this sometime, if I can get a laptop and xp anytime soon.
Level me down, I'm trying to become the anti-blizz!
Quote from: winkio on June 15, 2011, 07:30:23 pm
Ah, excellent.  You liked my amusing sideshow, yes?  I'm just a simple fool, my wit entertains the wise, and my wisdom fools the fools.

I'm like the bible, widely hated and beautifully quotable.

Dropbox is this way, not any other way!

Blizzard

Yeah. And he's gonna buy Strepsils with it.

The Niche

You guys know me far too well.
Ah, excellent.  You liked my amusing sideshow, yes?  I'm just a simple fool, my wit entertains the wise, and my wisdom fools the fools.

Spaceman McConaughey

* Tuggernuts pokes his head out of a garbage can.

I will participate.

Blizzard

Alright, Niche and Branden are on the list. A few more and we can start the contest. :)
C'mon, people! There have to be more people that want to get paid by Rose. xD

The Niche

Quote from: Blizzard on February 09, 2011, 02:03:01 am
Alright, Niche and Branden are on the list. A few more and we can start the contest. :)
C'mon, people! There have to be more people that want to get paid by Rose. xD

I said I MIGHT do it. Of course, if someone's willing to help me by translating my orders into xp, I'll definitely do it.

Blizzard

I can't hear over the sound of you participating in the competition.

The Niche

I see. So that's how it is. Good thing I have the various people I introduced to XP then. *Summons PHM*

Subsonic_Noise

I'll team up with branden. He doesn't know yet, but I do.

The Niche

Quote from: Subsonic_Noise on February 09, 2011, 09:43:25 am

And so, the competition has been rigged. :V:

Blizzard

You'll have to share the prize money if you win.

Subsonic_Noise

Quote from: Blizzard on February 09, 2011, 11:06:17 am

You'll have to share the prize money if you win.

Sure. I'd just do it for distraction anyways.

Spaceman McConaughey

This should be rather interesting. I look forward to the wonders we will create in our contest entry.

We will use Drop Box, yes? >8U

Subsonic_Noise

Quote from: Tuggernuts on February 09, 2011, 02:02:49 pm

This should be rather interesting. I look forward to the wonders we will create in our contest entry.

We will use Drop Box, yes? >8U

Dropbox and LSD.

Spaceman McConaughey

Perfect. After school I shall come on MSN.

The Niche

Quote from: Tuggernuts on February 09, 2011, 02:09:24 pm
Perfect. After school I shall come on MSN.

Horrific mental image.

Anyway, I'm not sure how these deadlines work. Are they for all competing, or do they apply locally? Because me and PHm have only just started planning.

Blizzard

February 12, 2011, 04:11:39 pm #47 Last Edit: February 19, 2011, 04:47:22 am by Blizzard
Well, I guess it doesn't look like anybody else is gonna enter so the contest is on.

You have until Tuesday, 20:00 by Greenwich time, to complete the first milestone.

EDIT: Here is a list with all milestones and dates/times:

• 2011-02-15, 20:00 GMT: General Game Plan (includes story, game structure, game features)

• 2011-02-22, 20:00 GMT: Game Prototype (meaning you have a playable demo even if it's only 5 minutes of gameplay)

• 2011-03-01, 20:00 GMT: Alpha Version (meaning you have the complete game but it is not tested yet)

• 2011-03-04, 20:00 GMT: Gold Master (meaning that the game is done)

Power Hungry Midget

I've "withdrawn" from the competition, needless to say are break-up was less then amicable. The Niche will not be able to complete the second milestone. Feel free to blame me.

The plot thickens......

I have a mind to join a club and then beat you over the head with it.
     -Groucho Marx
I often quote myself. I find it adds spice to the conversation.
     -George Bernard Shaw

http://xkcd.com/303

Bigamy is having one wife too many. Monogamy is the same.
    -Oscar Wilde

Blizzard

Not being able to make it till the 2nd milestone doesn't disqualify you, though.

element

Aw too bad
I read about this, thought you could make any kind of parody.
I thought about making a video :p
Then I read it had 2 be a game >_>

Don't really want to put all my time in something like this.
The contest's a great idea though.

Spaceman McConaughey

Some stuff has come up that made me pretty much unable to participate in this competition. I am going to have to disqualify.

Blizzard

Spaceman McConaughey

Blizzard

Sub wasn't serious from the beginning, PHM has withdrawn and now you have withdrawn. That leaves Niche the winner through technical K.O..

RoseSkye

This loooks like a job foooor .... noone *leaves thread*.

Also, I'll promote the winner's projects on my youtube.

Subsonic_Noise

I actually was serious, but with the deadline for the second CV album coming up.. you know, priorities and so on.

Blizzard

Still leaves Niche as the winner through technical K.O..

The Niche

I intend to complete the game anyway. Though it's unlikely since I don't have PHM's laptop and I need to get my own soon.

Blizzard

G_G

Off-Topic: ShowHide
Maybe its just my point of view but every contest we've tried to host has turned out bad in some way of form with only one or two people submitting something ifp/b] even that.

Can't wait to play the game Niche.

Blizzard

Actually the same happened to me. I remember when I made the ABS Showdown contest. Only 2 or 3 people submitted from almost 10 participants.

element

The problem is that if it is a difficult competition, you need to have a lot of participants becouse people will think that it's too difficult for them and stop with it.
Most of the time I only compete in competitions that are easy or something that i'm good in :)

The Niche

Aaaand I'm not gonna make it. Fuck. I would advise leaving the competition open/restarting, since I did have a nice plan and I do want to finish this.

Blizzard

Just finish the game. Nobody's gonna enter in a restart anyway.

AliveDrive

how is CP doing statistically? i feel like a lot of people join for a little while, then eventually stop coming around. I wonder how that could be changed...  :???:

The reason being, I like contests, but I'm not all that skilled. But contests usually put pressure on people to do well. I'd like to see more halfway decent games come out.
Quote from: Blizzard on September 09, 2011, 02:26:33 am
The permanent solution for your problem would be to stop hanging out with stupid people.

The Niche

Honestly, I think the people who want to do it, don't have the means (me), the comittment (the other team) or the skills (PHM). I saw someone suggesting a chaos-project awards kinda thing. Honestly, that seems like the best way to get motivation up to me. I'll try and make the game because it won't take me that long and I really do need to release a finished game at some stage :roll:. We could try another community project, like not an mmo, I think those are good for motivation. It's an interesting conundrum.

winkio

If enough people had motivation, I could organize a less ambitious community project.  I just don't think people are motivated.  I guess I could make a poll, and if I get enough people by the beginning of the summer, then we could do it.

The Niche

AliveDrive

I would be happy to help, but I'm not the most talented  :^_^':
Quote from: Blizzard on September 09, 2011, 02:26:33 am
The permanent solution for your problem would be to stop hanging out with stupid people.

Spaceman McConaughey

Quote from: The Niche on March 03, 2011, 02:14:14 pm
Honestly, I think the people who want to do it, don't have the means (me), the comittment (the other team) or the skills (PHM). I saw someone suggesting a chaos-project awards kinda thing. Honestly, that seems like the best way to get motivation up to me. I'll try and make the game because it won't take me that long and I really do need to release a finished game at some stage :roll:. We could try another community project, like not an mmo, I think those are good for motivation. It's an interesting conundrum.

No commitment? I hope you're being sarcastic, because I wanted to do this, but a lot of things came up that made it impossible. :P

Subsonic_Noise

To be honest, RMXP is a hobby for me, and really not a serious. If I don't want to do it, I don't do it, and if there is a deadline for a commercial album of my band coming up, I really would rather spend my time with that. So yes, you could say I'm missing commitment.

RoseSkye

I'll make a LoLIV B-ABS demo if Blizz gives me the thumbs up.

Blizzard