need help translating c code

Started by Ryex, January 29, 2011, 04:31:24 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Ryex

so this c code here : http://pastebin.com/9DxJ3t7X
contains matrix manipulations the are supposed to do hue rotations on RGB color values. I've been trying to do hue rotations in python using pygame like so
Code: Python
class SurfaceHueChange(object):

@staticmethod
    def change_hue(surface, hue):
        t = time.time()
        surface.lock()
        for x in range(surface.get_width()):
            for y in range(surface.get_height()):
                color = pygame.Color(*surface.get_at((x, y)))
                hsva = list(color.hsva)
                hsva[0] = (hsva[0] + float(hue)) % 360.0
                color.hsva = hsva
                surface.set_at((x, y), (color.r, color.b, color.g, color.a))
        surface.unlock()
        print time.time() - t

and while it "works" for some reason the hue changes will not line up with RMXP's hue change with the same angle rotation or for that matter any image editer I could get my hands on with the ability. I even got my hands on a c# program that did hue rotations of images. and I looked at the code and can't see a difference between what I'm doing here and what it did (this c# can be found here http://www.codeproject.com/KB/GDI-plus/HSLColorSpace.aspx?msg=2871940)

so I'm hoping that if I can figure out how this c code works and translate it to python the rotation will line up properly.

of course if any one can spot a flaw in by implementation that would be causing my problems that would be good too.
I no longer keep up with posts in the forum very well. If you have a question or comment, about my work, or in general I welcome PM's. if you make a post in one of my threads and I don't reply with in a day or two feel free to PM me and point it out to me.<br /><br />DropBox, the best free file syncing service there is.<br />

Blizzard

Only three things come to my mind right now.

1. You should check the documentation and make sure hsva[0] is actually going from 0 to 360 and not 0 to 100 or 0.0 to 1.0. Some systems have the tendency to impose their own ranges on various implementations because the developer was a lazy ass to adjust his way of thinking toward the standard.

2. It's possible that RMXP's hue changes towards the negative actually. So it should be "(hsva[0] - float(hue)) % 360.0". Just make sure you handle the overflow properly since you're going into negative.

3. Careful when using % on floats. You might want to look up if there is a fmod function for that. e.g. in C and C++ using % with a float will not work right.
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

Ryex

January 29, 2011, 06:00:50 am #2 Last Edit: January 29, 2011, 06:14:06 am by Ryex
ya I checked in to the % on floats it works properly I didn't check on the range of hue though from the few values I printed out it seemed to be going from 0 to 360 though.

yep checked it dose in deed go to 360, also I checked the negative version and it is not right either
I no longer keep up with posts in the forum very well. If you have a question or comment, about my work, or in general I welcome PM's. if you make a post in one of my threads and I don't reply with in a day or two feel free to PM me and point it out to me.<br /><br />DropBox, the best free file syncing service there is.<br />

Blizzard

That's really weird. :/
What exactly happens? How is the result different from RMXP?

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

Ryex

original file
Spoiler: ShowHide

with
(hsva[0] - float(hue)) % 360.0 

the % 360 actually keeps it in 0-360 properly

with
(hsva[0] + float(hue)) % 360.0 

as you can tell the left side is the result in rmxp and indeed any other image editor and the right side is mymethod

Blizzard

Hm... This is inverted. Green is on the opposite side of violet on the hue wheel.
Try this code just for the sake of it:

(hsva[0] + float(hue) + 180) % 360.0

Ryex

Blizzard

Check if hvsa= actually does what it's supposed to. Maybe the RGB isn't convert if you just set HSV.

Ryex

nope it works properly that was one of the first things I checked

Blizzard

So setting HSV does change RGB?

Ok, time to do this brute force. Take a 1x1 pixel pure red image. Load it into RMXP at bitmap. Run all hues from 0 to 359 and save the RGB values to a file (or possibly a CSV file so you can open it in Excel to analyze the data later). Do the same in RMPY. Compare the results. Somewhere there should be a set of numbers that is similar or you should be able to figure out a pattern. You can also try first all values from 0 to 350, step 10 first so you get a quick overview before analyzing the whole thing. This should give you the data to figure out why your code does it differently.

Ryex

oh god I'm a fucking moron
surface.set_at((x, y), (color.r, color.b, color.g, color.a))

dose any one else see something wrong with that line? here let me fix it
surface.set_at((x, y), (color.r, color.g, color.b, color.a))

well what to you know I just waisted 6 or 7 hours of work last night trying to figure out what the hell i did wrong when the only problem was I switched the green and blue components of the color.

I feel really stupid right now.

proof that it works: ShowHide

Blizzard

LMAO!
I've done stupider things, don't worry about it. xD