Reaction Time for Babs

Started by RoseSkye, January 30, 2011, 01:11:33 am

Previous topic - Next topic

RoseSkye

This just came to me and usually I hog all my ideas to myself, but... I think it'd be a bit more fun if I let people in on a few tricks of the trade.

-Map Event-
Step 1. Disable movement by using the \move feature and turn down the event's view range to 0 in pt. 1 of the script database
Step 2. Make a conditional event checking is in range of the player (ForeverZero's range condition is perfect for this as it mimics Blizz's view range without triggering enemy A.I.)
Step 3. Turn on a switch that is not in use (Example: Switch[001] ON)
Step 4. Add a wait command in the conditional event (Example: Wait[20])
Step 5. Turn off the switch (Example: Switch[001] OFF)
Step 6. Make a conditional event within the conditional event checking if another switch is on (Example: Conditional Branch: if Switch[002] ON) and check else
Step 7. If the switch is on play a sound effect (or whatever you want to do to make it seem like something amazing just happened) to show that you just activated the parry/reaction and afterward turn off Switch[002]
Step 8. In the else case make a force_action command that forces an attack/ skill

-Common event-
Step 1. In a free common event slot select 'Parallel Process' that checks to see if the first switch is on. (Switch[001]
Step 2. (Assuming you're using B-abs] Make a conditional event that checks to see if a key is pressed (Conditional branch: Input.press?(Input::Key['D'])
Step 3. In that conditional branch turn on Switch[002]

Blizzard

Why don't you simply use Charging of type Freeze?
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

RoseSkye

Quote from: Blizzard on January 30, 2011, 05:06:50 am
Why don't you simply use Charging of type Freeze?

By reaction time I mean give the player the opportunity to counterattack

Blizzard

But... That works already. If you attack somebody who is charging, his charge will be canceled. D:

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

RoseSkye

Quote from: Blizzard on January 30, 2011, 06:57:46 am
But... That works already. If you attack somebody who is charging, his charge will be canceled. D:

Does it let you predetermine what happens afterward? ...or does it give you any control over the boss character? Sure it lets you cancel actions but boss  fights are more fun with variation. Too many people just use the ABS as a plug and play thing and they forget what people want. People want variation, flash, and immersion. You don't get immersion copy and pasting the same bosses without any gimmicks.

Blizzard

Well, if it's that what you want, then you probably won't get it without a script or a plugin. I'm not sure if a plain event system could work out, but you can try. Winkio added last_hit_by and last_action and similar stuff in the recent versions so you might be able to figure something out with it.

RoseSkye

Quote from: Blizzard on January 30, 2011, 07:52:24 am
Well, if it's that what you want, then you probably won't get it without a script or a plugin. I'm not sure if a plain event system could work out, but you can try. Winkio added last_hit_by and last_action and similar stuff in the recent versions so you might be able to figure something out with it.

Pfft, I already evented 3 bosses with event systems.

Blizzard

I know. That's why I think you can do this, too, but by using already existing parts of Blizz-ABS without the need to make everything from scratch.

RoseSkye

I only do the bosses from scratch, duh. Normal enemies just get different A.I.