Antivirus and spyware software

Started by Ryex, February 17, 2011, 12:46:01 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Ryex

so.... when my dad bought me this laptop he also got me a subscription to McAfee I'm not a fan but I wasn't about to waist it as it is quality protection if a bit annoying at times.

now the subscription is about to run out. and I'm trying to decide what free antivirus I should go with  AVG Free or avast!

I know people on here have used both but I want a clearer opinion on what I should go with.
I no longer keep up with posts in the forum very well. If you have a question or comment, about my work, or in general I welcome PM's. if you make a post in one of my threads and I don't reply with in a day or two feel free to PM me and point it out to me.<br /><br />DropBox, the best free file syncing service there is.<br />

Spaceman McConaughey

Blizzard

NOD32 is worth the money.
Spybot - Search and Destroy is a good spyware software.
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

Valath

Yeah, I had Eset for a while on another pc, plus Malwarebytes and Spybot SD as backup. ;p

On this one, AVG is doing the job.
1998, I'll never forget it.

Reygekan

AVG
Malwarebytes
Sandboxie if you're still worried about contracting viruses

ForeverZer0

I personally like Malwarebytes. I tested it along with numerous other anti-virus software, and it consistently had the highest detection rate, and is much more lightweight than McAfee (which is the worst in my opinion, I used it for a year), Norton, AVG, etc.

Sandboxie is also a good piece of software to compliment any anti-virus program, though it is not really an anti-virus program itself, it makes tracking shit down much easier,
I am done scripting for RMXP. I will likely not offer support for even my own scripts anymore, but feel free to ask on the forum, there are plenty of other talented scripters that can help you.

Fantasist

I use Avast free edition with the Windows 7 firewall. So far, I have no problems. I've been using it for 8 months. It detected viruses and took care of them. The ones that it didn't detect (if any) are not causing any problems. Basically, my PC is working just fine. So I'm assuming the detection rate is good and none got past avast.

I never used a dedicated anti-malware software of a firewall, I never felt the need with my usage.
Do you like ambient/electronic music? Then you should promote a talented artist! Help out here. (I'm serious. Just listen to his work at least!)

The best of freeware reviews: Gizmo's Freeware Reviews

Blizzard

I can only say that NOD didn't disappoint me even in brutal situations where I was supposed to get infected no matter what. I couldn't get infected even when I actually tried (obviously without turning off NOD first).
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.