UltaFlame's Reviewing Service!

Started by Vell, February 18, 2011, 05:27:44 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Vell

A one-person show!

This is Ulta's newest attraction, the 'LURYS' or, to extrapolate: LET US REVIEW YOUR STORIES. Here's a basic rundown of what's what here in LURYS.

You, that is, the reader, the entertained, the person who is here to SEE ME BRUTALLY TEAR APART STORIES(SMBTAS doesn't roll of the tongue sadly) tell me to review your game idea's story. What're the qualifications?
1) It must be a New Project when reviewed.
2) It must have a story section, hurr hurr.
3) I care enough to review it.

That means, even if it technically qualifies, I reserve the right to say 'Fuck you, person!' and ignore the request ENTIRELY, HAHAHAHAHA (EH is boring, eh, yeah?).

But, uhh, why? Well because, see, children, when I review your story I will point out its flaws. I will tell you what is too cliche and where to look out for being too egregious or nice to your characters.

How will the reviews work? Also, will you be mean?
1) I will be given a suggestion
2) I will read the story
3) I will show you what I think.
Q) Maybe. But hey you asked for the review.

Also I reserve the right to request permission to review peoples' things without them coming to me. Why? Because I just bloody can.

Vell

Forenote: post contains spoilers for Kingdom Hearts: Birth By Sleep

FIRST REVIEW: Kingdom Hearts III: The Keyblade War.

Creator: Zexion.

Initial thoughts: Oh hey, it's a KH fangame. I'm interested, I guess.

Secondary thoughts: Hmm. Well put together first post. Let's look at everything else.

The Story section: ShowHide
(this takes places after kh 2, buuuut doesn't include any events of kh coded because I don't know the story to it.)
After the fight with xemnas and opening the door to light, Sora, Kairi, and Riku had nothing to do. They went back to their normal lives being teenagers on destiny island. One day, kairi finds a letter under a star shaped shell. The letter warns about areas called re-dimensions, and informs them about a villain trying to start a keyblade war. The group wants to stop it, but have no means of transportation. Then on a very mysterious night, a dream changes everything...

The Review:

Well, it's a basis, I guess. There's not much to the story yet that we know of. Basically it all boils down to what could be expected for the actual KH III based on what the fandom has available to them now. From Mickey's mysterious and as-yet unexplained message in a bottle at the end of KH II, to the keyblade war rather blatantly stated in BBS. Because of this although the story seems rather basic it serves its purpose. Which brings into mind the rest of it.

What I'm mostly worried about with this is the plot after the beginning. I'd be worried about falling into predictability, or it coming off too much like a fanfic. In addition, since its a fan-game, the author has to worry about keeping the characters in, well, in character. However, the Kingdom Hearts series isn't really known for having tough to figure out characters, so Zexion should be able to handle it. He seems fairly dedicated to the game, and I'm glad of the approach he's taking.

See, he's going to make each world individually. This means that the fandom will be able to see how the game is coming along, and Zexion can be made aware of any weak plot points or poor characterizations. As we'll be getting the alpha / beta versions of each world as they're released, any potential flaws can be ironed out.

Final Thoughts: I really think this fangame has a high chance of becoming successful. I think Zexion is dedicated and I believe that if the forum responds and gives it critique and Zexion takes it well, this game will be completed.

Last piece: Question me, debate, etc etc.