Being unique sucks

Started by winkio, February 20, 2011, 12:42:42 am

Previous topic - Next topic

winkio

It's lonely being unique.  Depressingly lonely.  I live on a university campus with over 4000 people my age, but of the 2000 I've met, none are even somewhat similar to me.  I mean, 2000 people, and not one shares similar outlooks on life, personal values, intellectual ideas, or anything.  I make friends with people well, because friends can be completely different, but I'm still lonely.  Of the ~1000 guys I've met, there is not one that I feel the need to keep in close touch with after graduation.  Of the ~1000 girls I've met, there is no way I'd waste my time in a relationship with any of them.  I just realized this all today, and got really depressed.

Ryex

the truth has been spoken.

however, while is is true that being unique can cause isolation, you actually have to believe that your unique for the isolation to take effect. I find that it is actually rather to hard NOT to find common ground with people. for example, I'm basically a hermit but I can strike up a conversation with just about anyone if I feel like it.

... I haven't really talked to any one in months.

why am I such a hypocrite?
I no longer keep up with posts in the forum very well. If you have a question or comment, about my work, or in general I welcome PM's. if you make a post in one of my threads and I don't reply with in a day or two feel free to PM me and point it out to me.<br /><br />DropBox, the best free file syncing service there is.<br />

ForeverZer0

I get in a mode like that sometimes. I begin thinking that I really don't like any of my friends, and I'll never find a girl that really gets me and whom I would spend my life with happily. Then I'll put myself in depression and feel sorry for myself from anywhere between an hour to a week.

The thing I realize each time is that its all bullshit, and is basically just me being selfish and insecure. I find that there are people I genuinely do like, and shit isn't near as bad as I'm making it out to be. The best way I have found to get myself out of these little slumps is to go out with and do something with the people that I am feeling that I don't really care about.

i usually just need to "get out of myself" if you know what I mean, and consciously think about all the things in life I have to be grateful for. You will find that the amount of gratitude that you have is directly proportional to your overall happiness. I am a recovering addict, and I went through a looooong spell like that after I quit using. Then one day I got fed up feeling like that, and begin to force myself to think differently. Your thoughts are like anything else, they can be trained. It was a bit of an epiphany, I suppose, because from that point on I knew how to get myself out of those negative thoughts.

That's the best advice I can give really, and I what I found worked for me. Just give it a try, and before you know it, you will be enjoying a new outlook on life.
I am done scripting for RMXP. I will likely not offer support for even my own scripts anymore, but feel free to ask on the forum, there are plenty of other talented scripters that can help you.

winkio

See, it's ironic, because I realized all of this right after having fun and going out to dinner with my friends.  I am in no way a hermit.

The point isn't that I hate my friends.  They are all great, and I'm glad I'm friends with all of them. 

You are exactly right by labeling the thoughts as selfish.  That's the point.  It's not just to meet someone like me so we can gloat about how awesome we are.  It's about communication.

When I'm talking with people, I feel this asymmetry, where I am acting and reacting, and they are standing still.  When I talk someone, I read their whole emotional and mental state, and pickup on their thought and language patterns very quickly.  After talking with someone for 5 minutes, I can anticipate what they will say.  So I use this information to act in a responsive manner and bring up things that align with their interests, or ask them about things that are important to them.  I find some common ground on which we can begin building a relationship.

Nobody in the history of ever has done the same to me.  All my relationships are built on the other person's interests, and I'm lucky if they barely overlap with my own.  When I say I want to meet someone like myself, what I really mean is that I want to build a relationship with someone where our interests greatly overlap.  I'm not lonely in that I never hang out with friends, or never enjoy spending time with them.  I'm lonely in that none of my relationships are built upon my interests.

ForeverZer0

I get what your saying. I too do that (though not near as much anymore). It's basically people-pleasing, which is also rooting it selfishness ironically enough (I used to be, and still can be, a very selfish person). A lot of that stuff is because of insecurity that someone may not like you for who you are, so you tend to ask them what they want you to ask, and say things that you know they want to hear. I don't mean for it to sound like a little "yes-man", because its not like that, which I'm sure you understand what I mean. Its just easier. Being a chameleon makes it easy to make friends, since they will all except you because you fit right in, even if deep-down you don't fit in at all. There's no fear of rejection if you can simply make everybody like you by how you act.

I don't do that shit anymore (usually). I've learned that not everyone likes me, and I don't like everyone. I have found that my group of friends may be smaller, but I can connect better with the ones that I do have. Its ironic that it is actually more difficult to just be yourself than to play the part.  :wacko:
I am done scripting for RMXP. I will likely not offer support for even my own scripts anymore, but feel free to ask on the forum, there are plenty of other talented scripters that can help you.

Blizzard

February 20, 2011, 06:30:21 am #5 Last Edit: February 20, 2011, 06:49:09 am by Blizzard
Long post GO!

I used to think like that. I used to think "Will I ever find somebody who truly understands me?" I have met some people during my life that had that potential. But in the end it turned out they never truly understood me. All I wanted was to be understood. We had a great deal of overlapping interests and we were best friends for a while (at least from my point of view). But things changed. I don't know about the other person, but I do know that I evolved further and met new people.

I have many different friends to cover all of my areas of interest. I am aware that I cannot find a person with a very great deal of overlapping interests. But you know what? It's fine. I accepted that fact. You could say that I have one person for each area of interest. Actually I am not a person who is supposed to be understood. I am the one who understands others. During the past few years I have somehow developed an exceptionally strong skill of reading people right away. I can usually guess what a person is like just by looking at them. If I hear them talk, I simply know what they are like. Sure, I don't know anything about them. I don't know what their favorite food is, I don't know where they went to school, I don't know if they have siblings. But I do know their personality. I understand their personality. I have gone through a great deal of stuff in my so-far short life and I have been in many different states of mind. I have seen so much that I can understand the other person without problems, because I have been there, even if it lasted just minutes.

This skill offers me another privilege. It's the privilege to choose. I am the highly compatible person, I can choose who I want in my life. I don't have to put up with people who are annoying and have a low character. In fact I don't even have to spend much time with them to figure out what they are like. I can tell just by looking and talking to them. There simply is something unconscious in people's voices that makes them reveal themselves to the world without intention. Body language and voice tone take 93% of the communication, so it makes sense (70% pure body language, 23% voice tone and para-verbal communication - the way somebody says something) while only 7% are the actual words. Tell me your name and shake my hand I have learned 14 times more about you than just your name.

You are not just unique, you are extraordinary. As I said earlier, a long time ago all I wanted was to be understood. I wanted to be normal, because I knew I wasn't just the average Joe. I was different. I wanted to be normal because I had suffered for not being normal. A few years ago I accepted the fact that I am not normal, that I am not average and that I never will be. During the time where I accepted that, I started embracing it as well. I didn't want to be normal anymore. I have found joy and happiness in who I am. I am not just different than others, I am better. It was hard to accept that, because at the time it seemed like arrogance. But this isn't arrogance. It's confidence. Arrogance is when you have to cover shortcomings with insecurity. Usually it manifests itself by bragging and telling other people how great you are (even though you're not). Why should I tell people that I have realized that I am better than them (most of them, probably not all)? Why should I? They wouldn't understand it anyway. And I don't need them to understand. This is my knowledge and my experience. This is me. When I act with confidence, there will always be people who interpret it as arrogance. I cannot change that and I don't even want to change that. Let them suffer if they are unable to interpret my actions and then talk shit behind my back. They don't deserve to have me around, they don't deserve the privilege to understand me or a chance to understand me. I could have given them so much, but they choose to dislike me for being better than them instead of trying to become better themselves. I finally understand why they say that "the path of evil" is easier than "the path of good". It's simply easier to blame somebody else than correct the problem within yourself. I am not perfect. At least I always try to evaluate somebody else's point of view against mine. And sometimes I am simply wrong. Sometimes I simply did do something that was inappropriate. Sometimes I did do something that was mean. And if I didn't have those people around me that I call friends, I might never have found out. They aren't just benefiting from my company, I also benefit from their feedback. I help them become better people and they return the favor so I can become even a better person.

I'm not saying that I am a 100% balanced person or that I am balanced in everything, but while interacting with so many people I have realized that everybody simply has a different opinion about me. I am pretty much in between of all of them. I am in balance between all of them. Even though most of them know I am a decent man, everybody of them sees me with different eyes. I have a friend who thinks I'm a womanizer. Another ex-friend always thought of me as a bad-boy. Another friend is totally convinced that I am a geek (geek in denial in this case xD). Yet another friend thinks that I am a very good and helpful person, a saint, an angel, call it whatever you like. I realized that I don't fit into any of these categories. I am partly in all of them, but I am also in the opposite category. The spectrum of my personality is so broad and my range of interests is so diverse that I am a bit of everything. I understand all of them, because their opinion of me is a reflection of themselves. They see only the part of me that they understand, the part that is like themselves.

Selfishness is not a bad thing! Selfishness is only a bad thing if you disregard others' freedom or make them suffer through your selfishness. Being selfish means that you work on yourself, that you work to improve yourself, to evolve further. I don't have to step on others to succeed. I know that when I succeed, I can help others to succeed. If I selfishly gain a lot of knowledge, I can share it. If I am selfish and work hard on myself to improve and become a better person, everybody around me will benefit from it. They will enjoy my company, they will enjoy hanging around with my and interacting with me. They will see all of my personality traits and they will want to be like me. They will see the part that they can identify with and they will see all the amazing other parts. They will not understand me, but they will want to be like me. It's ironic, because there is not much to understand. I have simply embraced who I really am, what I really want and simply started improving myself. Just like the first step to solving a problem is admitting and accepting that one has a problem, you first have to accept yourself as you are before you can become a better person.

It's ironic, but ever since I became so brutally honest to myself, I feel that nobody can hurt me anymore. When somebody calls me a name or whatever, when somebody insults me, I don't care. I have accepted the facts about myself that are true, even the nasty ones. I have bombarded myself already with brutal facts and I have survived it. What doesn't kill you makes you stronger. And now I am supposed not to be able to take an insult like this which probably isn't even true? From somebody else who doesn't even know me as well as I know myself? That insult just goes through me, it cannot hurt me.

You know what is also ironic? There are loads of people like me. I'd say that I am one in a thousand. During my 5 years in college I have met only a few people that are like me. I'm not talking about people that understand me, I am talking about people that have probably had the same realizations as me, people that are great as me or even greater. About 700 new students get into my college every year. That means that I have probably had the chance to meet any of about 7000 people. I can say that 7 of them are great and that I have met only 2 or 3 and that I might be one of them.
Now, finding a woman that is one in a thousand? Believe me, it's easy. In average I meet a great girl every 6 months (maybe a year) without trying. If I tried hard, I could probably meet a new one every month, maybe even every week. I'm talking about a really great woman here, one in a thousand. A woman that is confident, that knows what she wants, that is yet feminine and that isn't a weirdo or emotionally unstable. One that isn't needy or has any shortcomings that she has to take out on you to compensate for them. It is one in a thousand. You just have to truly realize what you want. I used to have too high standards myself. Now I have just high standards, but it doesn't mean anymore that they cannot be met.

People aren't actually bad. Everybody is just trying to find their way. Sadly, some have lost their way and now they live to make others suffer because of it.

I was sad once, a long time ago. But after I have accepted who I am, what I want and human nature in general, I can see the matrix.
From what I realized, the purpose of life is survival and reproduction. And that's fine with me. I can still choose whether I want to follow that purpose. I have a choice. Just because that's the purpose of life, it doesn't mean that I can't enjoy other things as well. It's just that nature has programmed me (and every living being in the whole universe probably for that matter) to feel something called happiness if I progress towards survival and reproduction. So why not be happy? Having others understand me obviously doesn't bring me happiness, at least not remotely as much as other things do such as knowing who I am and what I want. I want to live life, enjoy life and have sex. There is nothing wrong with that, it's the most natural thing to do.

God, I'm so full of shit. ._.

EDIT: Look at your man. Now back to me.

EDIT: Something else. Once you have removed the need to be understood and the need to actually have shared interests (or simply accept that they will never overlap that much), you have been freed from society's programming that two people have to have common interests in order to be together. It's not about interests, it's about creating a connection. I can create a connection with a girl by telling her my emotional state when eating straciatella yoghurt. She will relate to the emotion, not the actual event and the connection is created. Example:

Quote*somewhat excited* I totally got addicted to straciatella yoghurt. You probably know it, it's brand X from the company Y. I just love when I put the spoon in my mouth. The taste feels like a cool sweet breeze on my tongue. It just melts away in my mouth. Aaaah, it feels so good. And when it slides down my throat I can't wait for the next spoon full of this creamy magic. *normal again* You can imagine how sad I feel when the cup is empty. *passionately* I just want another one! I want to devour it!

I realized this feat because I was observing myself. Every time somebody was talking about something personal, I was trying to relate to the emotion they felt, never to the actual event. I realized that people recreate the event in their head and then relate to the emotion that the event would cause. That's why telling somebody, who hates their parents, that you lost your own parents will not really cause as much connection as telling them that you suffered a lot and felt like crap because you lost your parents (notice how it somewhat becomes secondary). They will relate to the emotion you felt and they will "understand" you. In order to be understood, you simply have to let them relate to your emotions because we all feel the same emotions.

Sometimes talking like this does other things to her as well, but this isn't the right place to talk about this. ._.
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

winkio

Good post Blizz, there is so much in there that is exactly like me, and so much that is exactly the opposite XD.  Sleep is my greatest cure for depression, and today, I'm realizing that even if I don't know anyone like me, I'm perfectly fine.  Anyways, I would just like to congratulate all the participants in this topic for making it the first legitimate chat topic in a while that hasn't turned into flamewars or spam.

Blizzard

February 20, 2011, 12:41:48 pm #7 Last Edit: February 20, 2011, 12:42:50 pm by Blizzard
You're welcome, winkio. :) I knew you would see a lot of things in it that you can identify with. xD

But don't think that I never get sad over something. I was crushed about something 2 days ago. But I knew that after a good night's sleep, things would look different. And they did. :) Now I'm back, stronger than ever. And I am going to continue my path. :)

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

Valath

Probably, whatever useful input I might have added, has already been said, beforehand.
But if you're in the mood for a talk, I can always offer you my time.
I think know it will help us both. Plus it will be nice to exchange some ideas with you.
Trust me on this one, you won't be disappointed, my friend.  :)
1998, I'll never forget it.

Fantasist

February 24, 2011, 05:58:48 am #9 Last Edit: February 24, 2011, 06:44:12 am by Fantasist
QuoteProbably, whatever useful input I might have added, has already been said, beforehand.

I agree.

QuoteSleep is my greatest cure for depression

I believe that too, and I sleep for 10-14 hours a day :/ That should say I'm depressed a lot, and it's partly because I'm trying to fit it. So I understand what you say. And sleeping doesn't make me feel better afterward. I sleep to avoid depression and when I wake up, it's back. I guess it's different for different people...

@Blizz:

QuoteWhat doesn't kill you makes you stronger.

You are a Saiyan! More so than others, from what you say.

QuotePeople aren't actually bad. Everybody is just trying to find their way. Sadly, some have lost their way and now they live to make others suffer because of it.

Make it "most of them have lost their way". In my opinion and short experience, the majority of people choose the easy way out, and are not even aware of their... stupidity. It's only "some" of them that have the potential of finding their way again, with a little help.
Do you like ambient/electronic music? Then you should promote a talented artist! Help out here. (I'm serious. Just listen to his work at least!)

The best of freeware reviews: Gizmo's Freeware Reviews

Blizzard

February 24, 2011, 07:19:43 am #10 Last Edit: February 24, 2011, 07:23:17 am by Blizzard
With "lost their way" I mean criminals who make the lives of others difficult.

Sleep is not a cure for depression, it's just a substitute drug. If you are depressed, stop feeling sorry for yourself and get up. I know a guy IRL who uses depression also as an excuse not to come to work at 8 in the morning but at noon. He says how he is "tired" when he wakes up and how he can't get up so he continues sleeping. That's a lame excuse and complete bullshit. Sleep deprivation doesn't cause paralyzation (not that he does get the recommended 8 hours of sleep).

Power Hungry Midget

It does but I'd much rather be me then just do everything everyone else does. Most of my school friends think I'm a contrarian. They think I disagree with everything that is in the minority. It's not my fault if they listen to and I quote "Oh you know, whatever is in the charts." The same goes for everything, every form of media, every form of entertainment. Whatever is advertised to them, they snatch up and enjoy. They think I'm a saddo because I'm bothered to find out things for myself and go out hunting for an indie movie or a new band or because I read books. I even had a free class once and I had my laptop and I tried working on my mapping as I'm not great at RMXP but I work at it. Obviously everyone thought that was weird. The more of this I write, I realise how much people dislike my opinions. I always have to have an opinion. Recently I've started staying in the background, trying to avoid the unwanted attention. But then someone says something and I can't help butting in. I posted a video of me reading an excerpt from Absolute Power. I was mocked. The only thing people have accepted is the music because I made a mediocre song which had lyrics in it and suddenly people are like, oh that's great and then they're friendly. I don't understand people. They're so fickle. Maybe I'm just an attention whore....
There's so much more but I'm starting to hate myself so I'm going to stop.

The plot thickens......

I have a mind to join a club and then beat you over the head with it.
     -Groucho Marx
I often quote myself. I find it adds spice to the conversation.
     -George Bernard Shaw

http://xkcd.com/303

Bigamy is having one wife too many. Monogamy is the same.
    -Oscar Wilde

Subsonic_Noise

I'm probably what you'd call "unique", but I can live pretty well with it. I have some friends I adapt to, and I have some friends who adapt to me.. and some I really share alot with. I know the problem you are descibing, though, since I had it some time ago - my solution was looking for friends outside of school, and in different age groups. Most of my friends (about 80 percent) are about 5 years older than me, they all live in different cities (close to mine though) and are all brilliant musicians or artists... and this worked. I fit in there pretty well, and I get to spend time with people who are interesting, and good friends for once.

Blizzard

Finding friends in different age groups than your own is definitely a good thing. :)

Power Hungry Midget

It's  funny you would say that because most of the people who share my interests are the oldest in the school. It's a pity they're all going to college next year :(

The plot thickens......

-Groucho Marx
     -George Bernard Shaw

-Oscar Wilde

Blizzard

You're lucky. Most people I knew in school didn't have that many interests similar to mine.

Power Hungry Midget

Yeah, I suppose I am lucky. They have similar music interests. We even have a band for the school concerts. And they like classics. :)

The plot thickens......

-Groucho Marx
     -George Bernard Shaw

-Oscar Wilde