Falling boulders RMXP

Started by Mixxth, February 21, 2011, 10:00:12 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Mixxth

February 21, 2011, 10:00:12 pm Last Edit: February 21, 2011, 10:04:50 pm by Mixxth
I need help with an event to make boulders fall from the sky and damage the player if hit...

I made a map with events at the top, triggered by a parallel process that randomizes a variable; in turn picking what boulder to fall... 3 things went wrong,
1: I haveta set the boulders to thorough and above to pass over non-passable terrain: this makes them pass the player doing no damage though, since the damage is set to the first pages of the boulders on player touch or event touch both dont work... ive tried everything :/

2: it looks cheesy and i have no idea how to make it look like the boulders are bouncing off a bridge per-say... >.>

3: my variable randoms for boulders over a width scale of 60, and sometimes the boulders glitch up i think this has something to do with events being updated on the screen and not off it, so yeah... basically i failed horribly
Donald Knuth: "I can't go to a restaurant and order food because I keep looking at the fonts on the menu. Five minutes later I realize that it's also talking about food."

Ryex

something like this can rally only be done through scripting as events will never be fast enough.

but to do it with events have the boulders jump.  I'm not sure how jumping works with passibility. so you can store the players position in two variables using a process event. and test the boulders event position with the stored player position to see if it hit.

you can use script calls to help with this.
I no longer keep up with posts in the forum very well. If you have a question or comment, about my work, or in general I welcome PM's. if you make a post in one of my threads and I don't reply with in a day or two feel free to PM me and point it out to me.<br /><br />DropBox, the best free file syncing service there is.<br />

Mixxth

Quote from: Ryex on February 21, 2011, 10:28:54 pm
something like this can rally only be done through scripting as events will never be fast enough.

but to do it with events have the boulders jump.  I'm not sure how jumping works with passibility. so you can store the players position in two variables using a process event. and test the boulders event position with the stored player position to see if it hit.

you can use script calls to help with this.

oic is there an existing script out there with this?
Donald Knuth: "I can't go to a restaurant and order food because I keep looking at the fonts on the menu. Five minutes later I realize that it's also talking about food."

Ryex

no, if there was I would of pointed you to it.
I no longer keep up with posts in the forum very well. If you have a question or comment, about my work, or in general I welcome PM's. if you make a post in one of my threads and I don't reply with in a day or two feel free to PM me and point it out to me.<br /><br />DropBox, the best free file syncing service there is.<br />

Taiine

I think the best you could do would be to use an advanced weather system that you can find here. It has an animation of falling rocks. You can then have events along the path that on player touch would deal damage and maybe show an animation of being hit as you try and make it by.

It's not exactly what you want, but it is an easy alternative and the falling rock animation in the weather script does look very nice, plus you'll be able to use all the other weather effects in your game too.

elmangakac

I have the same problem too T_T