[C++] libliteser

Started by Blizzard, February 25, 2011, 06:27:44 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Blizzard

February 25, 2011, 06:27:44 pm Last Edit: February 25, 2011, 06:40:38 pm by Blizzard
libliteser (Lite Serializer) is a small project that I have been thinking about for months. Serialization in C++ is bothersome mostly because there is no reflection and hence no simple way to serialize classes automatically. There are a few problems that need to be solved and a couple of days ago I had an idea how to solve some of the biggest problems I had. Now that I have an actual concept in my head, I have set up a project for the library so I can start developing.

Now, I am already using what we at Cateia call "April & Friends". April & Friends is our set of libraries that we use for game development. I will post a big topic about it later, once we have at least some more of the documentation done (so far I have documented only libhltypes which is one out of 6). Anyway, liteser depends on hltypes (because we have implemented a platform-independent way to serializing simple types such as int, float, etc. in hltypes) and I was wondering who else would be interested in such a library. I'm asking because if there is interest in it, I can put it on sourceforge and share it with you rather than keeping it just for myself and maybe in Cateia internally.

EDIT: In case you are already interested in April & Friends:

C++ High Level Types
C++ Geometry Types
A.P.R.I.L.
A.T.R.E.S.
A.P.R.I.L. User Interface
X Audio Library

Keep in mind that we are going to heavily refactor X Audio Library. Instead of being a wrapper for OpenAL only, we are going to refactor it in such a way that it works similar to April which provides a rendering interface that can have any actual rendering system as backend. Currently we have implementations for DirectX, OpenGL and OpenGL ES. The window systems supported are Win32, SDL, GLUT and iOS's window system. We will add support for an Android window system when we start porting our games onto Android. XAL should be able then to use DirectSound on Windows, SDL on Mac/Unix, etc. That way we offer great performance and cross platform capabilities are minimum expense.

EDIT: And yes, A.P.R.I.L. really means Awesome Portable Rendering Interface Library.
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

ForeverZer0

Although I have been mainly using C# lately, which an added library for this is unneccessary, I do have plans on leaning C++ a little better in the future, and I'm sure this will come in handy. I have been leaning programming in my own perceived level of difficulty. I gave Ruby almost a year, now I'm into C#, and from that I plan on jumping into C++.
I am done scripting for RMXP. I will likely not offer support for even my own scripts anymore, but feel free to ask on the forum, there are plenty of other talented scripters that can help you.