[RMVX] Fishing System!

Started by Runefreak, March 02, 2011, 01:59:57 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Runefreak

Hey there fellow RMers, been awhile since I last submitted a tutorial. So I thought I would go with something a bit basic.. fishing! Since I include a fishing system in my upcoming VX game I thought I'd let you guys know how to make one too if you don't know. :3

So first of all head on over to the database and select the Items tab, when your there create 4 more empty entries to make your items. The first item you make is going to be a "Fishing Pole", you can call it whatever you want, a fishing stick, fishing rod, fish retriever, it doesn't matter~
Just set the stats to this, if you sell it at the store then put a price for it.
Spoiler: ShowHide

You probably wouldn't want the same description as me :P~

After you have made your fishing rod, or pole, or whatever you called it, make 3 more items. One called a "small fish", "medium fish", and a "large fish". If you want to be specific you can call them like "Mackerel" or something. Here are the stats you should have for the three fish.

If you want to eat them to heal your health or MP then include the health bonus, if not then don't add anything to that. (But what else would the fish be for?).

Now that your items are ready to go, you are now going to event the fishing system! :lol:

First thing is of course do it in water, and make sure the player can reach it, so it is probably best to do it by the shore. Now, give it an animation, like this one. And then set it to "Stepping Animation", "Direction Fix", and "Walking Animation".

Then put a text box saying something like "There are fish in the water, would you like to go fishing?" and give the choices Yes or No. If they pick no, leave that section blank and for yes include a conditional branch. The conditional branch will only let you fish if you have a fishing rod (or whatever you called it..) in your inventory, if you don't then put a text box for no "You need a fishing rod to fish!". If they do have a fishing rod, then include the next command as a control variables.

Choose single, and make a variable called something like "Fishing" or something. Then set it on random 0 through 15. Now insert a command for turning self switch A on. Now make a new event page that only activates when self switch A is on, make the graphic and and the movement the same. Now make the event page only turn on if the variable Fishing is set as 0 and up. This event page will be for you not catching any fish that time, insert a text box saying something like "You didn't catch any fish." Then turn off self switch A at the end of the event.

The next event page you create will be with self switch A on and the variable Fishing set to 5 and up and a text box saying you caught a small fish, and then insert a command changing the item and giving the player a small fish (only 1, of course) and turning off self switch A. Make a 3rd event page with the same directions but instead the variable having set to only 9 and up, giving them a medium fish. And add text saying they got it, then turn off self switch A.

The final event page will be all the same thing but the variable set to 13 and up, so they can only get the large fish on a very small chance. Give them a large fish, tell them they got it, and turn off self switch A.

Finally, you got your fishing system finished with. However there can be a way so that when your finished with that spot it will disappear and you will have to find another area to fish, I will include that if anyone wants to know.

AliveDrive

Quote from: Runefreak on March 02, 2011, 01:59:57 am
If you want to eat them to heal your health or MP then include the health bonus, if not then don't add anything to that. (But what else would the fish be for?).

Good system.

An excellent follow up would be some method of cooking caught (and therefore raw) fish into something edible.

Personally I'm a sandbox game kinda guy and I just love games with a level of interactivity such as fishing and cooking (mining, blacksmithing, chopping down trees, etc. and crazy stuff such as ACTUALLY FOLLOWING THE STORY).
Oblivion  :haha:
Quote from: Blizzard on September 09, 2011, 02:26:33 am
The permanent solution for your problem would be to stop hanging out with stupid people.

Runefreak

Yeah cooking the fish is what I'm working on, a complete cooking system, not just for fish. But I'm not done with it.

Blizzard

Maybe this should go into event systems?
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

G_G

Apply the template and someone should be able to move it to the Event Database http://forum.chaos-project.com/index.php/topic,1429.0.html

Runefreak

Ok, I'll transfer this into a demo soon.

Ryex

transfer? why would you do that?
I no longer keep up with posts in the forum very well. If you have a question or comment, about my work, or in general I welcome PM's. if you make a post in one of my threads and I don't reply with in a day or two feel free to PM me and point it out to me.<br /><br />DropBox, the best free file syncing service there is.<br />

Blizzard

He probably wants to add a demo. xD
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.