Robin Discussion

Started by WhiteRose, March 03, 2011, 07:05:07 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Hatsamu

I like flutes, but its kinda hard to speak while playing...

A sitar would be nice, they have a cool shape and I used to play one (setting the piano to sitar-mode, of course :V)

Shalaren

Quote from: Hatsamu on March 09, 2011, 12:48:06 pm
I like flutes, but its kinda hard to speak while playing...

A sitar would be nice, they have a cool shape and I used to play one (setting the piano to sitar-mode, of course :V)

ummm. abviously when hes talking he wont use the flute ._.,
and when using the flute he wont be talking...
in an rpg game why would you make the situation when he uses the instrument and talks at the same time? unless he also sings x-x.

WhiteRose

I think the point that he was trying to make was that if she plays the flute, she won't be able to play/sing/tell the story of the game in the frame.

As for a sitar, it's a cool idea, but it might be more difficult to find songs we can use with a sitar in them. Still, it only needs to be in a few of the songs, so it could be pulled off. It would also be pretty cool looking.

So, my vote is for either a sitar or the guitar/harp combo thing.

Hatsamu

What about a zither?

Spoiler: ShowHide

It makes beautiful medieval-like music and it has an original shape for working even as a logo.

winkio

Those aren't very portable.  Since she is a wandering bard, I think it should be something of reasonable size.  I'd like to see a lyre, because they are both portable and are made in many unique styles.

Hatsamu

Zithers are just about the same size than a lyre actually (a bit bigger than a notebook, maybe, so I guess both are portable)

Anyway, I'm fine with both, though lyres are way too symmetrical for a logotype, but I guess we can find/design an asymmetrical one.

Also, both make good medieval/fantasay music, so my vote goes on any of those.

WhiteRose

Having her play the lyre would give us a lot of room to maneuver stylistically, as they seem to have a vast array of different appearances. I think that's a pretty good idea.

AliveDrive

I agree.

On a related note, I would like to commend WhiteRose for her use of the word stylistically, which is incredibly fun to say out loud.
Quote from: Blizzard on September 09, 2011, 02:26:33 am
The permanent solution for your problem would be to stop hanging out with stupid people.

Hatsamu

So, are we using the lyre? I'm working on her concept art tomorrow and it would be nice adding her instrument :3

Shalaren

and as for me ILLL FINALLY be able to complete the logo, so I vote to anything as long as we got an instrument! D:

winkio

5 votes for the lyre DO IT NOW!

WhiteRose

Lyre sounds good. Feel free to experiment with the design to make it fit into your concept art.

Shalaren

Lyre, I would start doing something, but I guess we still need to *stylistise* the Lyre first,
instead of using a different in different concepts. S:

WhiteRose

Quote from: Shalaren on March 09, 2011, 11:02:59 pm
Lyre, I would start doing something, but I guess we still need to *stylistise* the Lyre first,
instead of using a different in different concepts. S:

In that case, could someone go ahead and draw a picture of her lyre as they imagine it, and then we'll critique it and perfect the design? Once that's finished, we can go ahead and start working on the design of symbol for the title screen, and you can start on Robin's concept art.

Hatsamu

Ok, here's a REALLY quick one I've just made.

I can make a more normal one or just change this one when I get back home in a few hours.

winkio

The arms should have a more solid connection to the base in order to be structurally sound, and thus vibrate well and create a good tone.  Other than that, it should probably be somewhat ornate, so when you color it you should have little designs carved all over it.

Also, it may just be me, but I don't like how the right arm is longer than the left.  I do love the shape of the base and the upper arms though.

Hatsamu

Ok, here's a new Lyre:

And a possible version for the game logo:

winkio

AliveDrive

Quote from: Blizzard on September 09, 2011, 02:26:33 am
The permanent solution for your problem would be to stop hanging out with stupid people.