Gerald Discussion

Started by WhiteRose, March 03, 2011, 07:19:22 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteRose

March 03, 2011, 07:19:22 pm Last Edit: March 04, 2011, 08:02:27 pm by WhiteRose
"OLD WIZARD"
Name: Gerald
Appearance: To be determined
Class Role: Mage; very high damage output, very frail.
Personality: Generally quiet and professional, usually has decent advice. Stays out of the way.

BACKSTORY:
He is a member of the underground apostate faction of the church (at the moment; this could change as we further develop the story) and is their representative in the party. No other backstory has been developed for him yet.

RELATIONSHIPS WITH OTHER CHARACTERS:

(This section will be filled out a little later as we get the characters more worked out.)

Due to being the oldest, this character will probably have the most backstory out of the main characters. Let's start putting it together. :)

Hatsamu

Keep it as a human.

About the backstory, he could be a former member of the church while young, but he always had "that feeling" of something not working as it should. He wanted to research the past. The church "suggested" him that wouldn't be a good idea. He left the church before taking his votes (with this you are giving him a somewhat closer conection to the main character) and gathering information from many sources he found the "lost arts".

Maybe that "sources" could include the netherealm itself in an effort to come back to the world it once had a link with it.

Just random thougths....

WhiteRose

Quote from: Hatsamu on March 03, 2011, 07:39:08 pm
Keep it as a human.

About the backstory, he could be a former member of the church while young, but he always had "that feeling" of something not working as it should. He wanted to research the past. The church "suggested" him that wouldn't be a good idea. He left the church before taking his votes (with this you are giving him a somewhat closer conection to the main character) and gathering information from many sources he found the "lost arts".

Maybe that "sources" could include the netherealm itself in an effort to come back to the world it once had a link with it.

Just random thougths....

Definitely an interesting idea; this would make him an interesting parallel to the main character.

winkio

yeah, he could be a really good foil for our main character.

WhiteRose

Quote from: winkio on March 03, 2011, 07:43:05 pm
yeah, he could be a really good foil for our main character.

Agreed.

I've updated the main post to reflect the fact that his race and gender are now (pretty much) definite.

winkio

I would like to think that he has some magical knowledge before William arrives and can do weak magic, which is why he is not publicly known to use magic, but William provides some missing ingredient, and then his magical strength greatly increases.

WhiteRose

Quote from: winkio on March 03, 2011, 09:43:43 pm
I would like to think that he has some magical knowledge before William arrives and can do weak magic, which is why he is not publicly known to use magic, but William provides some missing ingredient, and then his magical strength greatly increases.

That's a pretty good idea; do you mean that William actually possesses some physical object that allows the wizard to cast magic, or is it his presence that is the key?

winkio

Either.  I was thinking that William has some sort of natural intuition for the technique which makes it far more effective.

AliveDrive

Similar to my other post, but I'd like to second the foil for Will as being #4.

Also, as in my last post, I think the ingredient could be:

Physical (family heirloom, likely the mother's)

Emotional (Family bond).
Quote from: Blizzard on September 09, 2011, 02:26:33 am
The permanent solution for your problem would be to stop hanging out with stupid people.

winkio

This sounds really dumb at first, but just read it all the way through:

The missing element is called Titanium.  It is a mythical metal supposed to contain the essence of the gods.  William manages to find some titanium (without knowing what it is) on his journey back home after the kidnapping, and decides to keep it, because he senses a strange aura.  Then, when the wizard begins teach the party magic, William's magic is ridiculously strong compared to everyone else.  He sees the stone glowing, explains where he found it, and then the wizard realizes it is titanium.  Then, as the party continues to travel, they pick up many different types of titanium (maybe different colors, or just different appearance) with different magical effects.  We could either put these in the accessory slot or make a weapon/armor upgrade system out of it.

WhiteRose

Quote from: winkio on March 04, 2011, 12:08:08 pm
This sounds really dumb at first, but just read it all the way through:

The missing element is called Titanium.  It is a mythical metal supposed to contain the essence of the gods.  William manages to find some titanium (without knowing what it is) on his journey back home after the kidnapping, and decides to keep it, because he senses a strange aura.  Then, when the wizard begins teach the party magic, William's magic is ridiculously strong compared to everyone else.  He sees the stone glowing, explains where he found it, and then the wizard realizes it is titanium.  Then, as the party continues to travel, they pick up many different types of titanium (maybe different colors, or just different appearance) with different magical effects.  We could either put these in the accessory slot or make a weapon/armor upgrade system out of it.

I think this is a good idea; not only does it fill in the necessary plot point nicely, but it also would be able to be implemented well into the gameplay itself. Titanium could have been the key to magic casting in the past; like Edison's search for the proper material for the inside of the lightbulb, the wizards could have been searching for some sort of material that would be able to allow proper channeling, but until William's discovery of it during his travels, they hadn't had any luck.

AliveDrive

So similar to materia?

We can have people learn certain skills when its equipped, until it is removed. (Unless it has been mastered maybe?)

The only problem is http://forum.chaos-project.com/index.php/topic,8775.0.html

TL;DR is that you cannot change a weapon's element.

Or at least I couldn't.

But we could still have them learn magic when it is equipped.
The permanent solution for your problem would be to stop hanging out with stupid people.

WhiteRose

I don't think the magic should actually be contained in the Titanium; rather, the Titanium is the key to allow proper channeling to the Netherealm. Thus more Titanium = a wider channel = more power. There is of course a limit to this, which is the reason that the wizards of the Forgotten Age summoned parts of the Netherealm itself to the surface world.

Hatsamu

Though I like the Titanium idea, I stil don't see how it will link William with his father. I mean, he just found the Titanium. Anyone could found it, so anyone could be Will's Father son...?

Some kind of extra link should be added.
Maybe something along the lines that just someone of his bloodline could be able to touch that material without harm...

Perhaps the using of Titanium corrupts "normal" people but Will's Father was immune to that corruption and, seing how pure William is despite carrying Titanium with him, he gets suspicious.

WhiteRose

Quote from: Hatsamu on March 04, 2011, 02:24:29 pm
Though I like the Titanium idea, I stil don't see how it will link William with his father. I mean, he just found the Titanium. Anyone could found it, so anyone could be Will's Father son...?

Some kind of extra link should be added.
Maybe something along the lines that just someone of his bloodline could be able to touch that material without harm...

Perhaps the using of Titanium corrupts "normal" people but Will's Father was immune to that corruption and, seing how pure William is despite carrying Titanium with him, he gets suspicious.

The fact that Will has the Titanium and thus allows his father to cast magic has nothing to do with the fact that they are related; it's just a coincidence. That's how I understand it, at any rate.

Hatsamu

QuoteMeanwhile, his father has traveled the world in search of magic.  He seems to have figured out all of Magic except one missing piece - a piece that William provides when they meet again.  His father does not recognize him, but when he hears his name, he begins to suspect who he is.

I mixed up this in my mind before going to sleep and when I woke up today I thought that the "missing link" was also the thing that makes the Old Wizard began suspecting about William's identity... xP

winkio

yeah Rose is right, the father-son is just a coincidence that turns out to be a dramatic plot device.

WhiteRose

This is now the only one of the four main characters who still needs a name. Let's start throwing some ideas out there. I think his name should be something sophisticated and possibly somewhat dated, but not too "old man" sounding.

AliveDrive

winkio

March 04, 2011, 02:54:17 pm #19 Last Edit: March 04, 2011, 02:59:02 pm by winkio
Duncan

EDIT: Gerald, Roy

WhiteRose

I like Gerald. I think it fits him.

AliveDrive

WhiteRose

Sounds like we're in agreement, then; I'll go ahead and update the first post.