Title

Started by winkio, March 04, 2011, 12:58:58 am

Previous topic - Next topic

winkio

March 04, 2011, 12:58:58 am Last Edit: March 08, 2011, 12:05:50 pm by winkio
The title has been chosen:

Song of Destruction

The story isn't anywhere near finished yet, but we have defined enough to start thinking about a title.

Serious:
Eternal Vigor / Eternal Grace - a reference to the strength/spirit of the overgod
Wheels of Fate / Wheels of Destiny - somewhat generic, idk
Wrath of the Titans - foreshadowing the grand finale showdown
Less Cliche:
Mighty/I am Mighty/We are Mighty
Songs of Lighting and Rain

Corny: Willpower (his name is William, and he has magic power.  Yeah...)

Starrodkirby86

I'd rather hunt for something that will be enticing. I think a lot of literature and movies can provide some interesting non-cliche titles that bring a hint of intrigue.

It also depends on what atmosphere you're planning to take the game in. Naming it something silly where the game is some serious melodrama would not be the best idea for it, at all, while naming your game something grave and tragic while having its content lampooning rather than sardonic would be unfitting as well. xD But I can only imagine two types of games --- a non-serious one and a serious one.

I'm assuming we're actually going to be serious with this project, and because of that we'll probably want a title that's enticing and original. Somehow the words I see in that list right now doesn't bring anything new to the table for me. I can see what you mean by the references and meanings of them all, your reference to this and your foreshadowing of that, which is by all means great, but the words are just so overused in amateur RPG's that people would just mull this over as "yet another project".

Maybe we can work an idea off a theme we have in the story? OwO Or something that those James Patterson novels incorporate with their titles, whatever they are :v trashy romance novels

What's osu!? It's a rhythm game. Thought I should have a signature with a working rank. ;P It's now clickable!
Still Aqua's biggest fan (Or am I?).

winkio

Something like... "Mighty"?  *images title screen with giant bold stone letters and lightning bolts in the background*

Starrodkirby86

Spoiler: ShowHide

I honestly think it's just a combination of those fantasy-type sensational adjectives with a fantasy-type sensational / abstract / etc. noun just makes the title sound cliche'd. @_@

I wish I have a suggestion of my own to put into this, but I'd have to invest more time researching this myself (In other words, not going to be quite instantaneous, which I guess is fine in this informal atmosphere... xD)

What's osu!? It's a rhythm game. Thought I should have a signature with a working rank. ;P It's now clickable!
Still Aqua's biggest fan (Or am I?).

AliveDrive

The Patriarch

Reference to the overgod/Will's father

Maybe :P
Quote from: Blizzard on September 09, 2011, 02:26:33 am
The permanent solution for your problem would be to stop hanging out with stupid people.

winkio

March 04, 2011, 12:46:11 pm #5 Last Edit: March 04, 2011, 12:48:29 pm by winkio
Why don't we have the game have the same title as the bard's tale (that we are using to frame the game)?

EDIT: "Songs of Lightning and Rain"

WhiteRose

Quote from: winkio on March 04, 2011, 12:46:11 pm
Why don't we have the game have the same title as the bard's tale (that we are using to frame the game)?

I agree with this; it would help tie the frame into the overall user experience nicely.

The Niche

A tale of sorrows?
The tale of the creators?

Cataclysm, The Cataclysm, The song of the cataclysm?
Massacre? Death Uncounted? Creation and Destruction? Purging the Depths (Referring to the removal of the creators)?
Level me down, I'm trying to become the anti-blizz!
Quote from: winkio on June 15, 2011, 07:30:23 pm
Ah, excellent.  You liked my amusing sideshow, yes?  I'm just a simple fool, my wit entertains the wise, and my wisdom fools the fools.

I'm like the bible, widely hated and beautifully quotable.

Dropbox is this way, not any other way!

AliveDrive

Ooh. Purge The Deep(Depths) rings true with me.

I feel like it basically sums up the main goal pretty well.
The permanent solution for your problem would be to stop hanging out with stupid people.

The Niche

Deep does seem better than depths, actually.
Level me down, I'm trying to become the anti-blizz!
Quote from: winkio on June 15, 2011, 07:30:23 pm
Ah, excellent.  You liked my amusing sideshow, yes?  I'm just a simple fool, my wit entertains the wise, and my wisdom fools the fools.

I'm like the bible, widely hated and beautifully quotable.

Dropbox is this way, not any other way!

WhiteRose

Quote from: AliveDrive on March 04, 2011, 06:20:52 pm
Ooh. Purge The Deep(Depths) rings true with me.

I feel like it basically sums up the main goal pretty well.

I think it's a pretty good idea; it doesn't get me super excited about how well it fits, but it fits well enough. It'll do if we can't come up with anything better.

Hatsamu

So far, using the bard's song as the game name is the idea I like the most. (ie: Songs of Lightning and Rain)

Also, using a "one-word-name" would be nice too as it works much more better for a game logo. (ie: Willpower)

I'll be thinking ideas for this 2 name styles...

- "Ancient whispers"

- "Origins of (insert world-name here)"

And... my mind is about to blow... too much noise around here; cannot think. I'll be back later  :^_^':

AliveDrive

winkio

Severance
Ominous
Corruption
(each are 1 word titles)

The Tale of the Haunted Planet
The Tale of the Banished Gods
Songs of Destruction

Shalaren

using the bard's song as the game name is the idea I liked the most but Songs of Destruction totally has major significance.

Lore

Shattered
The Shattering
Havoc Fable
Broken Saga
Facebook is like your fridge. You know nothing is in there, but you check every 5 minutes anyways.

Hatsamu

I like this four ones:

- Godseal

- Shattered

- The Tale of the Banished Gods

- Songs of Destruction

Also, something like this could work:

Godseal:
Songs of Destruction

or

Shattered:
The Tale of the Banished Gods

winkio

My favorites are Songs of Destruction and Purge the Deep.

WhiteRose

I like Song(s) of Destruction, with or without the s.

Hatsamu

"Song of Destruction" sounds sligthly better in my opinion but I'm fine with both "s" and "no-s".

People could call it SoD for short wich is a nice detail as in, in example, "Purge the Deep" the shortened version "PtD" or "PD" is "less functional"

Also, the combination of the words "Song" and "Destruction" invokes all kind of "mental images" that could end up in pretty cool logotypes and title screens *-*

winkio

It seems we have come to an agreement:

Song of Destruction

I'll start renaming the boards/threads and put up the thread for making title graphics.