2-world theme discussion

Started by winkio, March 05, 2011, 12:37:24 am

Previous topic - Next topic

winkio

March 05, 2011, 12:37:24 am Last Edit: March 05, 2011, 10:22:20 am by winkio
The whole (netherealm + corruption zone) vs. (normal world) sets up a perfect 2-world dynamic.  How do we want to make these two different in game?

Maybe in the corruption zone, because of the presence of titanium and thus the emphasis on magic, we could switch HP and MP?  It would be an interesting dynamic, but I don't know how well it would work.

We could also make it some sort of stealth area where you have to avoid huge monsters and traps.

Perhaps decreased vision?

EDIT: do the corruption zones change (back to normal? less monsters?) after you get the titanium/some other objective?

Hatsamu

Perhaps physics can be altered in there. Like being able to -sometimes- go trough some objects that you are not supposed to. Also being teleported a few squares ahead (or more). Trees/rocks/whatever appearing or vanishing.

Maybe a "healing over time feature" could be enabled only outside this areas, too.

Also, I'd go after the "changing zones back to normal" option, but perhaps they could turn into dead zones, neither being normal or corrupted.

AliveDrive

I like the fading objects idea.

However, I fear that with walking through walls the player might not figure that out. Unless we told them.

Or maybe even a damage over time?

I have no strong feelings for or against the dead zones.
Quote from: Blizzard on September 09, 2011, 02:26:33 am
The permanent solution for your problem would be to stop hanging out with stupid people.

winkio

March 06, 2011, 01:10:32 pm #3 Last Edit: March 06, 2011, 01:12:00 pm by winkio
wait, are we talking about optical illusions, as in places where it looks like a dead end, but it's actually not?  Or are we talking complete chaos?  Because the optical illusions thing could make for some great puzzles.

Also, explain the dead zones more.

AliveDrive

I was supporting the optical illusions idea, as well as having some scenery fade in and out with opacity.
The permanent solution for your problem would be to stop hanging out with stupid people.

Hatsamu

Yep, I love creating puzzles and that would be the main purpose of what we could call "controlled chaos". In some places the "illusions" would be just a decoration, but in some other places they would be the key to keep going on.

About Dead Zones, I was thinking that "changing back to normal" is too "magical". Perhaps the damage done to the corrupted zones cannot be "healed" so easily and when you beat that area it turns into an arid and desolated place (there can be some monsters still wandering around). If we want to make dead zone more functional, magic could be powered down there and the new land output could get the player to new areas not reachable before.

winkio

I was thinking that since the Overgod couldn't do anything to stop the corruption, it would just stay there the entire game.

Also, magic should be powered up there, if anything, since the corruption zones were only created to power up magic in the first place.

AliveDrive

1: I agree it doesn't make much sense that way, I just wanted our hero to actually seem to be accomplishing something by going there.

2: Agreed.

WhiteRose

Quote from: winkio on March 06, 2011, 02:31:17 pm
I was thinking that since the Overgod couldn't do anything to stop the corruption, it would just stay there the entire game.

Also, magic should be powered up there, if anything, since the corruption zones were only created to power up magic in the first place.

I just skimmed this thread; I've been away for a while so I'm trying to catch up. I think winkio has the right idea; magic should definitely be powered up there somehow - it would fit well with their original purpose. Also, the corruption zones can't ever be destroyed or nulled. Remember, the whole reason the Creators wanted to destroy the planet was because it was permanently damaged; if the corruption could be healed, they would have just done that instead.

AliveDrive

Don't worry, most of our correspondence will likely be touch and go, what with all the difference in schedules and what not.

Meh, I have no choice but to agree with you as that is the story. Though I can't help but wish for some loophole that allows for the corruption to be dealt with or otherwise sealed off.

winkio

Maybe each zone powers up a specific type of magic?

Shalaren

or perhaps the opposite, weakens a specific type of magic.

WhiteRose

Or some combination of the two.

winkio

wait, hold up, we said that people corrupted the planet in order to strengthen their magic beyond its natural limit.  So why would it make magic of any sort weaker?  I was just thinking that different zones would emphasize different types of magic, but in general, they should increase magic power, not decrease it.

Hatsamu

Yep, too bad that story won't let us to heal/seal corrupted areas...

Regarding magic, it could work as a "turbo mp" zone (more power, more mp consuption). Like if the zone is both giving and taking something.

AliveDrive

A fair trade-off.

So have we decided that Corruption Zones ONLY empower magic, never reduce it? This is what I agree with.

WhiteRose

Quote from: AliveDrive on March 07, 2011, 12:50:51 am
A fair trade-off.

So have we decided that Corruption Zones ONLY empower magic, never reduce it? This is what I agree with.

That seems logical to me as well.

[Luke]

Zones can make the magic more effective, but also alter the MP cost as well. For example: "ice" zone makes fire spells do more damage, but also they reuire more mana. Ice spells don't do that much damage, but they require half the mana. And so on for all zones.

AliveDrive

Neat idea.

We would obviously want to play around with the database to see if a balanced MP cost is necessary, or possibly find another way to counter it such as a large amount of (powerful) enemies.