Jump System

Started by Zeriab, April 06, 2008, 04:41:35 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Zeriab

Jump System

There are 2 jump systems in that project. The second (and enabled one) was done per request. The first one was what I started with.
I got inspired from a brainless Jump tutorial at .org ^^
I have tried to make the jump system to feel fluid and nice.

You can download the project from: http://zeriab.plesk3.freepgs.com/root/events/JumpSystem.rar

You jump by press Q (or whatever your L-button is assigned to).
If you just press Q you jump on the spot. If you press Q and some of the direction buttons you jump in that way.
You can hold down Q for some time and press the buttons you want, or let Q go for a quick jump. (The delay can be adjusted by changing a variable)
You can change the jump strength (length) by pressing A, S and D. (Or whatever you have assigned for the X,Y,Z-buttons)

The second jump system feels like an overkill for normal use and requires more work to be implemented while the first is more simple and easier to use.

Note that you will be able to jump through trees (You can try it in the demo)
You can fix this using terrain tags, but it will require a lot of work and will probably be significantly slower than the presented system.

I am very much interested in feedback. How does the system feels? How is the responsiveness? Anything that could be done better? What parts do you like?

*hugs*
- Zeriab

Fantasist

A jump system by Zeriab's bound to be interesting! *downloads*
Do you like ambient/electronic music? Then you should promote a talented artist! Help out here. (I'm serious. Just listen to his work at least!)

The best of freeware reviews: Gizmo's Freeware Reviews

Sally

i dont feel like downloading anything more right now, or read anything. sorry, i will tomarrow if i remember

Zeriab

Please do tell if you have any comments.

Fantasist

It's really flexible! I like the delay and jump strength features. It works quite well too.
I'm not into eventing and there won't be a jump system in my game, so I can't give a through opinion, but so far, it works extremely well :thumbsup:
Do you like ambient/electronic music? Then you should promote a talented artist! Help out here. (I'm serious. Just listen to his work at least!)

The best of freeware reviews: Gizmo's Freeware Reviews