2 types of SP?

Started by winkio, March 20, 2011, 12:14:55 am

Previous topic - Next topic

winkio

So I was doing some thinking about our idea to add in a second type of MP only used for performing Overgod related skills.  This would make sense if the player was still using these skills later in the game, but from my current understanding, once Gerald joins the party, they all use magic instead of Overgod skills (not necessarily all 'firebal' magic, but fire slash, energize, etc.)  If they make the clean switch, then there is no reason to keep the old stat around.  So here's my idea:

The SP stat will be called FP for Focus Points.  At the beginning, FP is used to perform overgod-related skills.  Once the party learns magic, FP is used to perform magic skills, and they can no longer use overgod skills.  Max FP would go up with every level up, as normal, but Titanium would significantly increase this stat.

I just thought that since they are basically the same thing for two very similar sets of skills that we shouldn't need to have useless extra stats.  Correct me if I'm wrong.

WhiteRose

I was under the impression that magic and Overgod skills fulfill different roles. Magic is mainly for offensive purposes, though it has some support abilities, and Overgod power is more for healing and support abilities, though it has a few offensive abilities.

From a story perspective, the party is trying to stop the Cult from breaking the Overgod's seal on the Creators. Even though they're using magic, they're still doing something beneficial to him, so he would probably still continue to lend them his powers. William, in particular, has been a faithful member of the Church all of his life. The Overgod isn't just suddenly going to stop allowing him to use his powers because he has started using magic.

I think that equipping Titanium should significantly increase Magic Points, but decrease Overgod points (Focus Points, as you called them.) We would still use both types of MP. This would add some strategy to equipping characters with Titanium, as the player would want to balance between the two types of skills. Maybe they'd try and keep all of their characters balanced somewhere in the middle, or maybe they'd give some characters a lot of Titanium and magic, while giving others none so that they retain their powerful Overgod abilities. It would add a unique strategic aspect to the game, so I think we should keep it.

This is just my opinion. It's probably not presented very well, as it's almost one in the morning here so I'm not entirely awake, but I think you get the jist of my perspective on it.

winkio

March 20, 2011, 10:06:58 am #2 Last Edit: March 20, 2011, 12:24:55 pm by winkio
Ah, okay.  So if we had the Magic points be a percentage of your overgod points, and the percentage increases with the amount of titanium, then that would work?

EDIT: so if your percentage was 20% and you had 100 MaxSP on your character, you would have 80 Overgod points and 20 magic points.  Like that?

EDIT2: never mind, I think just completely separating them will be better, because we have to make a database extension regardless.

Hatsamu

I agree with the separate skills and the "titanium reducing Overgod skills" thing, it fits nice with the story.