Being an individual

Started by winkio, March 22, 2011, 11:24:52 am

Previous topic - Next topic

winkio

People talk about the ability of every individual to make a difference and the ability of each person to make their own future.  I always though these sounded like nice ideas, but I never possessed any true understanding of them until recently. 

Normal life is a puzzle.  School, college, work, family, corporations, banks, governments, religions, entertainment - all these things comprise a machine that shapes an individual into a puzzle piece that fits perfectly into a stable society.  While you may find yourself safe, happy, and comfortable sitting in a spot carved specifically for you, your mobility will have been lost.  Choices are made for you according to the pattern of the puzzle.  You completely give up your individuality.  You will be unable to make any difference unless you break out of your spot.

That doesn't mean you have to break out as soon as possible though.  While you are a puzzle piece, you gain valuable training and experience which will be useful the rest of your life.  But at some point, you have to realize that you are ready to go out and make your future.

I've always wanted to be a mechanical engineer because I am good at working with mechanical objects, and more importantly think that I can use this ability to help people.  I used to think about helping people in the vague sense, like advancing technology would somehow cause a chain reaction of happiness.  I now realize that if I do invent something awesome, I have to personally see to it that it makes the world better in the way that I want it to.

Blizzard

Long post GO!

Very interesting thoughts. I agree on many things you said there. In fact, I am convinced that the situation is even much worse. Not only are we robbed of our individuality, we are also programmed to respond in certain ways. Society teaches us many things and some of them are counterproductive. While everybody probably knows how there are the real important things in life, only a few actually do care about those things. The rest is just lost somewhere in the vacuum of society, living their mediocre lives.

Everybody has the potential to become great, but only few grasp it and actually do become great. Obviously accepting their condition and just going with the flow (changing unconsciously with society) is a lot easier than finding oneself and becoming the person one is supposed to be (initiating change manually and consciously). Society teaches us to stay mediocre and we will be rewarded. That is a lie. Take most romantic comedies to date (let's say during the last 20-30 years). What happens?

1. A mediocre guy with all his flaws meets a beautiful woman and falls in love. Somewhere during the movie he messes up big time because of his flaws. He ends up seeing his errors and apologizes. The woman accepts the apology and they live happily ever after. End.

You know what this is? Bullshit! This doesn't happen in real life! A beautiful woman will get rid of you if you mess up like this. This kind of movie shows you that you just have to stay as you are and everything good will happen to you. Don't work on yourself, don't become a better person. While it's true that you should accept and admit the mistakes you make, this is only one fragment of the whole picture. Without the rest where you have to work your ass off to never ever even want to make this kind of mistake again, it's pointless. A simple life lesson used to manipulate people into not ever applying that life lesson. This is basically the kind of movie that guys like.

2. A woman falls in love with a great guy. She messes up big time as well and she apologizes as well. He forgives her and they live happily ever after.

If you take a closer look at that guy, he actually isn't that great. In fact, most of the male second roles I have seen are almost soulless. They have no self, they have no individuality. They are just the generic prince charming which isn't even that charming. This is the kind of movie that women like. Why? Because of the emotions. They never even relate to the guy. The woman feeling all those emotions for the man is the whole point. The great guy doesn't matter, he's just the trigger for all those emotions. That's why women think that they want a wuss while they actually want a real man with a personality. Women are robbed of their own preferences and individuality.

All in all, society programs us not to be individuals, not to become who we are supposed to be, not to get to know ourselves as a person and an individual. And it's not one bad guy on top of everything. It's not a conspiracy by one man. No, it's the whole world that is like this. Everybody is part of it whether they want to or not or whether they realize it or not. Matrix is a really cool movie about this kind of thing. The whole "seeing the matrix" thing makes a lot of sense. Once you do break free from the patterns, you do start recognizing them. You see how people behave and you know exactly why they behave like that.

Today I was walking with a friend around city and at one point a guy with two girls passed by us. That one girl said something and I heard her voice. I already saw her face and hearing her voice put a complete picture of her personality together in front of my eyes. She was fairly pretty, kinda cute, had a good voice tone and nothing extraordinary regarding body language, except a slightly cold appearance. He clothes were normal, pushing a bit toward rock style.
That girl has a somewhat low self-esteem. She compensates it by pushing people away in order to feel strong. That makes her appear confident, sometimes even bitchy, even though she's actually a scared little girl (hence the good voice tonality). She is used to people doing things for her because she's pretty (cold body language). If one would take away her beauty, there would be nothing to build her confidence on and she would crumble. She is a bit disinterested in people because they don't usually like her for herself but only for her beauty. Ironically the thing that is the source of the little confidence she has, is also the source of her being so cold and insecure.
I have seen many girls like this, I've had interactions with girls like this, there not a single doubt in my mind how an interaction with her would go (obviously not the whole interaction but half of it, I can't see the future).

If you want to be an individual, you first have to get to know yourself. Be honest to yourself about what you want. Be honest to yourself about your own flaws and fears. Accept them and then change them. Understand who you are and then become better. When you become better, you will discover more about yourself. The more you understand yourself, the more you will be able to understand others. Once you have broken free of the patterns that keep you chained to mediocrity, you will see the matrix. You will be liberated and you will be who you are supposed to be. And if you project that self into the world, you will be glorious!

I found out some of these things just recently.
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

The Niche

:???:

But society = good right? Aaaah. My head hurts. Etc.

Yeah, the above sentence is all lies. Except that my head hurts. Aaaanyway, I feel inclined to post.

I often find myself considering running away. So much so that I have a fairly good plan in place. But of course, the big thing to consider is whether or not I want that exciting life. The fact of the matter is that I do, but I'm afraid to take it and because of my fear, I may end up living the comfortable life. Which I know I'm not cut out for. But every time I try to make a final decision on the matter, I'm torn between the lure of immediate escape and the lure of college.

There, I recognised the box I'm trapped in. But if I'm still trapped in it, how can I recognise it? Logic doesn't make any sense.
Level me down, I'm trying to become the anti-blizz!
Quote from: winkio on June 15, 2011, 07:30:23 pm
Ah, excellent.  You liked my amusing sideshow, yes?  I'm just a simple fool, my wit entertains the wise, and my wisdom fools the fools.

I'm like the bible, widely hated and beautifully quotable.

Dropbox is this way, not any other way!

AliveDrive

Quote from: Blizzard on March 22, 2011, 02:37:00 pm
If you take a closer look at that guy, he actually isn't that great. In fact, most of the male second roles I have seen are almost soulless. They have no self, they have no individuality. They are just the generic prince charming which isn't even that charming. This is the kind of movie that women like. Why? Because of the emotions. They never even relate to the guy. The woman feeling all those emotions for the man is the whole point. The great guy doesn't matter, he's just the trigger for all those emotions. That's why women think that they want a wuss while they actually want a real man with a personality. Women are robbed of their own preferences and individuality.

Ain't it the truth?

I was going to quote just a sentence from this, but really you have to read it as a whole.

I know SO many girls like this.
Quote from: Blizzard on September 09, 2011, 02:26:33 am
The permanent solution for your problem would be to stop hanging out with stupid people.

Blizzard

@Niche: You don't have to run away from home to be adventurous. I'm a pretty crazy guy myself, yet I graduated from college and I have a job now. I go every day to work, I am there at time, I do my job well and I slack off very little. I am a disciplined man, but I am still adventurous. I go out on weekends, I mess around with friends and girls, etc. Don't mess up your life and not go to college just because you think that you are not going to get enough adventure. It's actually quite the opposite. In college you will have many opportunities to have adventures of all kinds.
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.