Geex - Game engine and editor for Xbox

Started by nathmatt, April 02, 2011, 03:13:13 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

nathmatt

Join Dead Frontier
Sorry, I will no longer be scripting for RMXP. I may or may not give support for my scripts. I don't have the will to script in RGSS anymore.
My script

Blizzard

Ah, fuck. ._.
Doesn't matter, ARC's gonna be better.
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

Ryex

it's written in XNA so it can only work on xbox or windows...
I no longer keep up with posts in the forum very well. If you have a question or comment, about my work, or in general I welcome PM's. if you make a post in one of my threads and I don't reply with in a day or two feel free to PM me and point it out to me.<br /><br />DropBox, the best free file syncing service there is.<br />

ForeverZer0

It does look interesting, but I don't think it can really compared to ARC. Although they both are made for creating 2D RPGs, our approaches are entirely different. They use XNA (the easy way out), which basically dooms it to a two platforms (Windows and X-Box), while ARC games will be compatible with all the major systems.

On top of that, our target base of users already exists and thrives in the RMXP community, where there are already scripts, resources, and Ruby experience for the taking. Not to mention compatibility with current RMXP games...

This project is based in XNA and C#, which is nice, I will likely try it out myself, but targets a different audience.

My money is on ARC.  ;)
I am done scripting for RMXP. I will likely not offer support for even my own scripts anymore, but feel free to ask on the forum, there are plenty of other talented scripters that can help you.

G_G

Blizzard

Lol, are we the only ones doing this in C++? xD

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

winkio

Also, why does everyone name them events?  I always thought that was just a bad translation of something like Entities.

ForeverZer0

Yeah, there is no shortage of people doing this in C# and XNA. My original concept was to do this, actually, for the sole reason that it wouldn't be too difficult. If you think about, using XNA as a base, you are already about 90% done with the truly difficult stuff. All you really have to do is create an editor with C# (with the exception of map editing, easy), and embed a scripting language (also easy once you do some research).

I am really glad now that ARC is being built from the ground-up. All these other editors appear to be a dime-a-dozen, and are platform dependent on Microsoft systems.
I am done scripting for RMXP. I will likely not offer support for even my own scripts anymore, but feel free to ask on the forum, there are plenty of other talented scripters that can help you.

winkio

Agreed, for a distributed editor, anything other than c++ is just stupid.  C# should only really be used for personal projects and things that need to be completed under a time limit.

But, I just have to say that the grand majority of gamers are on Microsoft platforms anyways, so that's not really an issue when you think about it.

ForeverZer0

I do agree with most gamers having no problem with being Microsoft dependent, but it will still be nice for those that aren't, or even those who use Ubuntu or something and don't feel like having to boot from a Windows partition.

I'm not saying that RPG creators made with XNA are bad at all, they are very capable of creating a masterpiece, but you are also forced to certain framework that, although good, is not the most highly capable.

winkio

Blizzard

Quote from: winkio on April 03, 2011, 03:42:43 pm
But, I just have to say that the grand majority of gamers are on Microsoft platforms anyways, so that's not really an issue when you think about it.

Actually as far as I know the console game market is a lot bigger than the PC game market. Also, the mobile game market is gaining quite a bit. e.g. The iOS App Store for iOS devices is quite successful.

Spaceman McConaughey

Quote from: Blizzard on April 03, 2011, 05:25:35 pm
Quote from: winkio on April 03, 2011, 03:42:43 pm

Actually as far as I know the console game market is a lot bigger than the PC game market. Also, the mobile game market is gaining quite a bit. e.g. The iOS App Store for iOS devices is quite successful.

Not sure, but I think he was talking about people who were using a computer.

Blizzard

The problem is that everybody targets PCs and there are many developers. It's hard to get into the market because of that while it's a lot easier to get into the Linux and Mac gaming market because the concurrence is small. e.g. Cateia wouldn't have been closely as successful if we had targeted only PCs platforms. And obviously it's paying off since we keep porting our games to other platforms. Realistically seen 2 weeks of extra work to be able to have a Mac version and an iOS version of the game is a pretty good investment. You shouldn't disregard other markets so easily.