[Scripting School] Call for script requests.

Started by Ryex, April 06, 2011, 01:32:42 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Ryex

April 06, 2011, 01:32:42 am Last Edit: April 10, 2011, 03:20:37 am by Ryex
Scripting School

As you may know I'm going to run a school to help teach beginning scripters how to script competently. The school will use actual requests from the community as learning material.

The Idea

Here's how it works.

The School and it's enrolled students take on a single request form the community at a time and the teachers (me or another scripter who steps up) guide the signed up students through the process of completing the request

this way people learn scripting and the community gets a request fulfilled. however it is highly likely that the request will take much longer to get filled. on the other hand the request WILL get fulfilled instead of left to rot in the request section.

The Process

are you a member of the community who wants a request fulfilled by the school? well here's how that can happed

first off, some general requirements/rules for requests.

• The request must be suitable for the level of the students, this will be determined on a case by case basis. for example it would be a bad Idea to start the students off by assigning them a large complex system like a battle system striate off.

• Edits of existing scripts for the most part will not be considered. the point of this program is to teach scripting and while you can learn from making an edit it is more effective to learn by designing the system from the ground up. there may be some special cases so if you feel that there is significant learning opportunity in you edit request feel free to ask but don't be surprised if it gets turned down. of course you can always request your dream system ;).

• All requests must be presented to the school in a professional manner, listing the requirements and abilities of the system you want scripted and providing visual aid where necessary and appropriated. any request that is deemed to be significantly unclear or unprofessional WILL be ignored until it is presented properly. We won't necessarily provide a form to fill out but This thread would be good to look at

• By requesting a script from the school you agree that the script will be used as learning material and will be published to the community NOT as your property but as the Schools

Request Currently Being Fulfilled

• Skill Level System

Queued Requests

• None
  • None

I no longer keep up with posts in the forum very well. If you have a question or comment, about my work, or in general I welcome PM's. if you make a post in one of my threads and I don't reply with in a day or two feel free to PM me and point it out to me.<br /><br />DropBox, the best free file syncing service there is.<br />

The Niche

Ironically enough, I'm a student. Anyway.

If you've used my evented cms, you'll know that it's a lot of work to do.
Basically, I want a script for a quest system so I can then make all the other rooms.

What this should do:
Check if the player is on the main menu or not.
If not, then store their co-ordinates in variables.
Transfer them to the quest room.
Draw an assistant from a user defined graphic.
Draw graphics for the first four unsolved quests on tiles marked by events with a certain tag.
Draw two bumpers on tiles marked by event tags which can scroll through the list of quests, left for higher up the list, right for further down.
Check if the player is interacting with any of these.
If they're interacting with the assistant, display a help message written by the user.
If they're interacting with the quest, display a user written message, describing what the quest entails. Then it should display a user defined question (which should be the same for all quests) asking the player is they want to travel to the quest's starting point. Then it should transfer them to a user defined location.
If they're interacting with the bumpers, it should scroll through the list, with the option of displaying an animation over the quest characters.
Finally, it should check if they're pressing the escape button, in which case it should transfer them to the map they were on when they entered the menu. If they're walking out the door, it should transfer them back to the main menu.
Level me down, I'm trying to become the anti-blizz!
Quote from: winkio on June 15, 2011, 07:30:23 pm
Ah, excellent.  You liked my amusing sideshow, yes?  I'm just a simple fool, my wit entertains the wise, and my wisdom fools the fools.

I'm like the bible, widely hated and beautifully quotable.

Dropbox is this way, not any other way!

Aqua

Can people requests scripts they wouldn't use but think would be helpful for the students to learn?

Ryex

yes, I don't care if it has been done before a thousand different ways. as long as it has at least a little bit of originality (ie you can't request a exact replica of an existing script but a system that dose the same thing but with a few changes here and there is fine) it should make good learning material.

in other words. is there a script that you've always like but wish it did this and that differently? then request a new system here instead of a script edit.
I no longer keep up with posts in the forum very well. If you have a question or comment, about my work, or in general I welcome PM's. if you make a post in one of my threads and I don't reply with in a day or two feel free to PM me and point it out to me.<br /><br />DropBox, the best free file syncing service there is.<br />

Ryex

*double posts*
@Niche. it's fine that your a student and your making a request. but you'll have to explain better. I need a complete description of the system top to bottom.

G_G

A Level Reset system. Now I could easily make this and I don't plan on using this but I think it would be great practice.

Basically the system allows actors to reset their level when they've reached their final level. However, the stats stay the same and they are given the chance to increase their stats even more. Now theres a catch. Everytime they reset, the exp gain rate lowers. Probably forget skills on reset as well. The actor should have a script call that resets them however it should only reset the actor's level if it has reached its final level.

The only class you should have to work with is the Game_Actor class. And possibly a module for configuration.

LiTTleDRAgo

I request a script that can rotate the character

example :

$game_map.events[2].rotate = 20

then event with ID 2 will rotate by 20o

ForeverZer0

That can be done with an single attr_accessor in Game_Character for the character's sprite. From there you can just change the angle.
I am done scripting for RMXP. I will likely not offer support for even my own scripts anymore, but feel free to ask on the forum, there are plenty of other talented scripters that can help you.

Ryex

so no one can think of a full system? your dream CMS or that perfect weapon system you've always wanted?

ForeverZer0

I recommend that you create something like a side-view CBS. It would cover pretty much all of the bases and hit most of the classes in RMXP. There is a nice mix of advanced and easy scripting that goes into it. You would have windows, sprites, characters, events, etc., but could easily start off with the most basic elements of each, and build from there. You could even use the default CBS, and slowly convert it into a side-view, solving one problem at a time.

You will of course have to start out with the most basic elements, like "What is a string?", "How do I use an array?", and "What's an alias?", but I would personally take that route.
I am done scripting for RMXP. I will likely not offer support for even my own scripts anymore, but feel free to ask on the forum, there are plenty of other talented scripters that can help you.

G_G

Quote from: game_guy on April 06, 2011, 08:58:30 pm
A Level Reset system. Now I could easily make this and I don't plan on using this but I think it would be great practice.

Basically the system allows actors to reset their level when they've reached their final level. However, the stats stay the same and they are given the chance to increase their stats even more. Now theres a catch. Everytime they reset, the exp gain rate lowers. Probably forget skills on reset as well. The actor should have a script call that resets them however it should only reset the actor's level if it has reached its final level.

The only class you should have to work with is the Game_Actor class. And possibly a module for configuration.

So this wouldn't be a perfect task for beginners to start and figure out the language and classes? Sure its not a full blown system but its a nice system to get anyone started.

Ryex

April 07, 2011, 01:54:09 am #11 Last Edit: April 07, 2011, 01:56:53 am by Ryex
we'll it would work. but it's just a little odd for a first assignment. I'd rather start with something a little more standard.

as for a side view CBS, yes I could start them off and we would slowly build the system over a matter of months but I rather start with something that would get more immediate results a side view cbs would be perfect for a second lesson imho.

when I made this topic I though some one would request some fancy menu system or a type of quest system. a standard system that did something special and unique that they wanted. can't have it all I guess :P

element

well, I guess we all always wanted a on-map menu system for rmxos...

Blizzard

Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

Ryex

thats a great Idea! I can have part of the teaching be coming up with the specifies of the system.

The Niche

Quote from: Ryex on April 07, 2011, 01:54:09 am
when I made this topic I though some one would request some fancy menu system or a type of quest system. a standard system that did something special and unique that they wanted. can't have it all I guess :P

Er-hem? Seriously Ryex, I've gone into far more detail about the system than usual. What's missing?
Ah, excellent.  You liked my amusing sideshow, yes?  I'm just a simple fool, my wit entertains the wise, and my wisdom fools the fools.

Ryex

the most basic part. a clear description of what the system is. you talk about your envented CMS and then launch into a list of features of a script

The Niche

Alright, the idea behind my cms is that it's a collection of rooms which perform all the tasks of the menu. The main menu room has doors and entering these doors will bring you to the various other rooms like equipment, inventory, quests, etc.

LiTTleDRAgo

Quote from: ForeverZer0 on April 06, 2011, 11:31:35 pm
That can be done with an single attr_accessor in Game_Character for the character's sprite. From there you can just change the angle.

then, what is that single attr_accessor?

new request :
script that change the sprite into font (spritefont)

example : http://i61.servimg.com/u/f61/15/61/87/13/sprite10.png

the image will became the font in the game

nathmatt

i had thought of making something like this my idea was to put each graphic in a hash so the letter A would be hash['A'] = bitmap with the letter A
Join Dead Frontier
Sorry, I will no longer be scripting for RMXP. I may or may not give support for my scripts. I don't have the will to script in RGSS anymore.
My script

ForeverZer0

Off-Topic: ShowHide

Sorry, two accessors...

class Scene_Map
  attr_accessor :spriteset
end

class Spriteset_Map
  attr_accessor :character_sprites
end

Then...
$scene.spriteset.character_sprites[INDEX].angle = ANGLE

LiTTleDRAgo

April 10, 2011, 12:40:29 am #21 Last Edit: April 10, 2011, 12:53:27 am by LiTTleDRAgo
I request virtual pet system

the character can buy an egg or adult pet,
feeding the pet, breeding it, sell it, kill it, cook it or something like that

if possible without dependancy of any time system script
and the pet can die with a call script

element

Quote from: LiTTleDRAgo on April 10, 2011, 12:40:29 am
I request virtual pet system

the character can buy an egg or adult pet,
feeding the pet, breeding it, sell it, kill it, cook it or something like that

if possible without dependancy of any time system script
and the pet can die with a call script

Well that would definatly be something that I want to learn to script/have ^^

The Niche

April 10, 2011, 04:41:33 am #23 Last Edit: May 15, 2011, 07:55:34 am by The Niche
Seconded.

EDIT: Something we should do at some later date is to make Guillame777's equipment script compatible with blizz-abs. I've been trying to do that for far too long ¬¬

Magus

Just to clarify, to join Scripting School, I simply must post a script request (other than any of my own) and then
someone experienced will show me how the Big Boys get it done.

(I bet if I master scripting, about 70% of this community's script requests will vanish and I won't have to bug you guys anyone. This is an opportunity! Someone teach me. [while I find a tutorial to speed up the learning process] Then I could go mad --creating hundreds of useful scripts for the community over the months)

Truthfully, the Niche's post in the beginning of this thread (the way he explained it) made it just a bit simpler to think about. Still some things I'll have to study, but I need to catch up with people out of my league (like G_G or Zero or pff, Shadow)
[won't bother mentioning Blizzard's name --I'll need more years.]

Anyway, just need to be sure how this works.
LEVEL ME DOWN. THE ANTI-BLIZZ GROUP IS AMONG YOU... Do it for the chick below...She watches..<br />