Some thoughts and ideas?

Started by PhoenixFire, April 07, 2011, 01:27:06 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

PhoenixFire

As most people on here know, I have my own forum, kinda like a sister site to CP, but there's a few things I need some advice about, and, I figured this may be a place to ask... I also use SMF software for the forums, but, I haven't been able to figure out certain things about it, like how CP has a main home page, and, a separate forums page? I have the main page option, but it brings you straight to the forums... Would it be wise to switch servers, and just use SMF as a separate installed extension, or, is there a way to manipulate the software? I'm using freesmf.net as my server atm.. Anyone have any thoughts, ideas, etc?
Quote from: Subsonic_Noise on July 01, 2011, 02:42:19 amNext off, how to create a first person shooter using microsoft excel.

Quote from: Zeriab on September 09, 2011, 02:58:58 pm<Remember when computers had turbo buttons?

Blizzard

The main page and the forum are actually separate. The main page merely has a link to the forum and vice versa. CP doesn't use the default SMF package but a modified one. I did those modifications and I incorporated the chat as well as the shoutbox and some other small stuff which is unique to CP.

The main page uses the Joomla CMS and that's basically it. I coded the Script Database Index using Joomla's framework and accessing the forum's database (instead of using Joomla's database). Basically those two are independent, but I merged them together. I tell you it was not easy.
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

PhoenixFire

Quote from: Subsonic_Noise on July 01, 2011, 02:42:19 amNext off, how to create a first person shooter using microsoft excel.

Quote from: Zeriab on September 09, 2011, 02:58:58 pm<Remember when computers had turbo buttons?

Blizzard

But that's just CP. You shouldn't have much problems installing Joomla on another subdomain and simply linking to your forum. Only the HOME link back to the homepage *points to the top menu* will require a little bit of PHP coding.

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

PhoenixFire

Ah, okay then.. Now I just have to find a joomla site, install the smf software into it, and, make sure it's all compatible and not blocked by work...

nathmatt

Join Dead Frontier
Sorry, I will no longer be scripting for RMXP. I may or may not give support for my scripts. I don't have the will to script in RGSS anymore.
My script

Blizzard

And you should install them separately. Joomla and SMF don't really work well together.