Ubuntu users?

Started by PhoenixFire, April 04, 2011, 10:44:35 am

Previous topic - Next topic

PhoenixFire

So, does anyone on this forum use a Ubuntu platform? I personally use it as an alternative to my WinXP-BE install, and it serves well. It's also a really good way to see how easily you could port your games over to Linux-based systems. For those who are skeptical, it has a compatibility layer called WINE, although I can't remember what it stands for.. It allows you to take your windows .exe files, and run them on your Ubuntu system.
Quote from: Subsonic_Noise on July 01, 2011, 02:42:19 amNext off, how to create a first person shooter using microsoft excel.

Quote from: Zeriab on September 09, 2011, 02:58:58 pm<Remember when computers had turbo buttons?

Blizzard

WINE Is Not an Emulator.
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

WhiteRose

I have an Ubuntu partition. I use it more frequently than my Windows partition, as a matter of fact. I'm a little skeptical of the UI change in 11.04, but I think I'll get used to it.

PhoenixFire

@Blizzard: Thanks! I had completely forgotten it was such a simple acronym.. I've had scripts running through my head the past month, so it's no wonder something so simple didn't register in my head.. haha..

@Rose: Ah, yeah, same here with the UI change. Not too fond of it, but, just so you know, it's okay. I know it's still beta, so I don't expect too much, but even still, I think they should have just done what they always do, and just did upgrades and changes to the 10.x series, not a full on re-haul.

Quote from: Subsonic_Noise on July 01, 2011, 02:42:19 amNext off, how to create a first person shooter using microsoft excel.

Quote from: Zeriab on September 09, 2011, 02:58:58 pm<Remember when computers had turbo buttons?

ForeverZer0

I have an Ubuntu partition, and an Ubuntu virtual machine for VMware. This makes it nice because VMware integrates into Virtual Studio, and you can simply launch debugging from it straight into a Linux or Mac environment without having to reboot in different partitions. 
I am done scripting for RMXP. I will likely not offer support for even my own scripts anymore, but feel free to ask on the forum, there are plenty of other talented scripters that can help you.

G_G

Wanna know whats cool? ARC Editor and games should be able to run on linux.

Ryex

I have kubuntu partition on my external and a vm of ubuntu...
I no longer keep up with posts in the forum very well. If you have a question or comment, about my work, or in general I welcome PM's. if you make a post in one of my threads and I don't reply with in a day or two feel free to PM me and point it out to me.<br /><br />DropBox, the best free file syncing service there is.<br />

PhoenixFire

@game_guy: cool beans!! I think I might be trying that out when I get the chance to.