Autotiles?

Started by MarkHest, April 11, 2011, 05:18:53 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

MarkHest

April 11, 2011, 05:18:53 pm Last Edit: April 11, 2011, 05:23:24 pm by MarkHest
Hi there! :haha:

I tried creating an AutoTile for my Icy-environmental map that have ice with white reflections in it but i found out an obvious problem with this  :facepalm:
All the white reflections got screwed up realy bad when i placed it in the editor.

This was going to happen either way since i don't have any experience of making autotiles but i ask now...

How does making autotiles work? Where exactly do you know that the picture will repeat so that it fits with the top 3 frames in the autotile?

It might be hard to explain in only words but please try and explain to me, how does making autotiles work and makes all the repeating patterns fit with each other.

//Cheers  ;)

Ryex

auto tiles are divided into 48 16*16 tiles the ice edges on those 16*16 tiles need to connect properly with any other ice edge
I no longer keep up with posts in the forum very well. If you have a question or comment, about my work, or in general I welcome PM's. if you make a post in one of my threads and I don't reply with in a day or two feel free to PM me and point it out to me.<br /><br />DropBox, the best free file syncing service there is.<br />

Taiine

This should help.

You can see the 16*16 edges better with this that should help show how they align and connect.

In the top left-hand corner, we have the main tile. This consists of the four outermost corners of the large tile below. The middle tile at the top is the main tile which the autotile will tile with - in other words, another autotile that will tile with this autotile.

For example, if you take a look at the waterfall autotile above, you will see that it has the main tile of the lake autotile here. This means that it will tile seamlessly with the lake.

http://vorpal86.snesorama.us/rmxp_autotiletemplates.html

There is a nice site with a lot of templates you can use when making auto tiles.

MarkHest

April 17, 2011, 12:42:12 pm #3 Last Edit: April 24, 2011, 09:33:03 pm by MarkHest
Quote from: Taiine on April 11, 2011, 06:32:16 pm
This should help.

You can see the 16*16 edges better with this that should help show how they align and connect.

In the top left-hand corner, we have the main tile. This consists of the four outermost corners of the large tile below. The middle tile at the top is the main tile which the autotile will tile with - in other words, another autotile that will tile with this autotile.

For example, if you take a look at the waterfall autotile above, you will see that it has the main tile of the lake autotile here. This means that it will tile seamlessly with the lake.

http://vorpal86.snesorama.us/rmxp_autotiletemplates.html

There is a nice site with a lot of templates you can use when making auto tiles.

Thank you so much, this is realy gona help me!
Hopefully i will be able to make that smoth ice ground soon ^^

UPDATE: Okay, it was a bit more difficult than i though...

brewmeister

I wonder if this might help a bit...

drop this in your autotiles folder, and just draw on your map with it. Draw a row of single-wide tiles with some turns (like a path or road)
draw some double-wide rows, then draw a larger area.  Make sure you also hit the edge of the map.

blue - solid tile
green - edge
red - convex corner
yellow - concave corner

notice how a concave corner tile is made up of 3/4 of the blue solid tile, and 1/4 of the yellow convex corner tile.

Be Well