"Remix Veela" by Image-Line

Started by Blizzard, April 28, 2011, 02:21:42 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Blizzard

Image-Line, the makers of FL Studio, have organized a contest. The contestants have to remix the song Night Vision by Veela using FL and their plugins Newtone and/or Pitcher. You can buy Newtone and Pitcher together paying any amount of money you want (there's a minimum of $12, though). There are some nice prizes including cash prizes. You can get more info here:

http://www.image-line.com/documents/news.php?entry_id=1303101802

The contest closes in about a month (May 27th) and you can enter up to 3 songs.
I'm definitely entering. xD
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

G_G

Better enter betch >:U

As for me. I too shall "enter".

Blizzard

I'd enter Veela any time. Too bad that pic is hardcore photoshopped. No way she looks like that in real life.

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

G_G

Blizz, I want you to know you have my full support for this and I hope you place in one of the top three. <3

Blizzard

May 06, 2011, 02:18:17 am #4 Last Edit: May 09, 2011, 02:11:50 am by Blizzard
Here's what's going to be my first entry. Veela - Night Vision (Blizzard's Trance Remix)

What do you think?

G_G

HAWT! It sounds awesome Blizzard, keep it up. <3

Ryex

May 06, 2011, 04:05:21 am #6 Last Edit: May 06, 2011, 06:03:02 am by Ryex
Hmm I don't know Blizz, It doesn't seem to live up to some of your other tracks. with your other songs like Synthetic dreams and Field of Mirrors the music feels like a large room, there is good high low frequency range and the broadness of the sounds just makes it feel large. this track feels more like a really tall hallway. it needs something more on the sides to push the walls back. I really don't know how to explain it better that that.
I no longer keep up with posts in the forum very well. If you have a question or comment, about my work, or in general I welcome PM's. if you make a post in one of my threads and I don't reply with in a day or two feel free to PM me and point it out to me.<br /><br />DropBox, the best free file syncing service there is.<br />

Blizzard

May 06, 2011, 04:29:49 am #7 Last Edit: May 06, 2011, 04:31:08 am by Blizzard
I know exactly what you mean. That's exactly one of the problems I am facing. I am already having a few ideas how I could improve the song. It needs polishing.
It will try some more frequency separation to make the vocals sound better.

winkio

You also really need some sort of harmony.  The whole first part (up to 0:48) just sounds empty.

Blizzard

Ok, I have revised the song. Tell me what you think.

ForeverZer0

That sounds good, I like it better than the original.

I wish I had musical talent.  :(
I am done scripting for RMXP. I will likely not offer support for even my own scripts anymore, but feel free to ask on the forum, there are plenty of other talented scripters that can help you.

Blizzard

I added more dynamic to the song using different samples in different places. And I changed the second part where the verse and bridge vocals are not together with the main beat/melody.

ForeverZer0

I'm not really musically inclined and don't know how to put it, but it has more "energy".
Is that the final revision?
I am done scripting for RMXP. I will likely not offer support for even my own scripts anymore, but feel free to ask on the forum, there are plenty of other talented scripters that can help you.

Blizzard

Yes, this will probably be my first entry. I simply have no idea how else I could improve the song so I am going to go with it as it is.

Ryex

I no longer keep up with posts in the forum very well. If you have a question or comment, about my work, or in general I welcome PM's. if you make a post in one of my threads and I don't reply with in a day or two feel free to PM me and point it out to me.<br /><br />DropBox, the best free file syncing service there is.<br />

Blizzard

Actually I do have a slight idea what I can still improve. I have to remaster it one more time so the vocals can be heard better. And this time I have a good idea which frequencies are interfering.

winkio

Yeah, liking it better, but the vocals are hard to hear at parts :)

Blizzard

May 10, 2011, 02:42:48 am #17 Last Edit: May 10, 2011, 02:45:46 am by Blizzard
Final version is up, link is the same. <3
This is my definite first entry for the contest.

Subsonic_Noise

Not bad, though you definitely did better before - this sounds a bit uninspired. If you'll win the contest.. well, I have no clue how good the other contestants are. If this would be FiXT remix I could tell you that you won't win (no offense, but there are some killer people there), but since it's FL, I don't know. It shows clearly though that you should concider getting different softsynths. FL's preset synths just sound.. unexciting.

Blizzard

May 10, 2011, 03:48:47 am #19 Last Edit: May 10, 2011, 03:55:50 am by Blizzard
Let's say 10-15 out of the other 116 people (so far) are quite good.

I know that this song isn't as good as the rest of my stuff. The main reason is that my inspiration usually comes from a long timeline. Here I had to make a song fast which makes me rely more on pure skill and knowledge than inspiration.
The problem isn't FL, the problem are the vocals. I had to kill certain frequencies so the vocals can be heard properly and that reflected very badly (filtering and mastering wise) on the rest of the song. :( Veela's voice takes up quite a bit of bandwidth. In the end I had no choice but to pump up the general human voice frequency (around 4 kHz) so she can be heard at an obvious loss of voice quality. :( I've spent hours trying to make it work and I'm honestly not fully satisfied with the result, but this is the best I was able to put together after several tries.

Ryex

I have a suggestion for your next entry. the vocals IMHO suit themselves really well to a sound of music that has much more "gloom". try going for dark tones and create a song that feels like navigating a dark gloomy space. sharp sudden sudden changes in sound with a soft creep in the back ground. that sort of thing.

of course this is just a suggestion, your that artist after all :P it's your music.

Blizzard

I was thinking of Electro Trance, something in the manner of Benny Benassi. >:3
Basically dark and dynamic rather than melodic sounds.

Ryex

I never said it had to be melodic  ;)  sound like we were thinking close to the same thing. perhaps we're closer than either of us thought  :naughty:

Subsonic_Noise

You should in general use more cuts than boosts, then boost up the master volume. The key to a good mix though, are also filters (more than EQs if you're good with them), panning and, especially in your genre, compressors and limiters. Seriously, compress the fuck out of it, put a limiter on the master, and there you go. You can filter the lower frequency range of the voice, too - it's better than boosting the other freqencies in terms of quality loss.
(And yes, I'm aware that FL isn't the problem with this - but seriously, a bit of Massive or Absynth would enhance your sound alot)

Blizzard

May 17, 2011, 01:57:26 pm #24 Last Edit: May 17, 2011, 02:51:14 pm by Scorpion
HOLY SHIT

This here is the concept for my second entry. <3 <3 <3

Veela - Night Vision (Blizzard's Electric Synergetic Remix)

EDIT: Lol, I basically just put the whole song together using more or less just this piece of music. It's not even done yet and it sounds awesome.

Ryex

nice can't wait to see the result