abs & TBS together

Started by Apidcloud, April 29, 2011, 06:52:36 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Apidcloud

April 29, 2011, 06:52:36 pm Last Edit: May 07, 2011, 11:01:41 am by Apidcloud
ATBĀ²S(working on it..)

Last update: 06-05-2011

I'm thinking about using Alt and/or Left mouse click to attack action... What do you guys think about this? Give your opinions please

Read more at 05-05-2011 update...

Introduction(working on it..)

How it all began...

Two of my colleagues and I decided to try and be creative.
As some already know, we were using XAS(29-04-2011); unfortunately, it's not only prone to cause severe lag, but also too many bugs, along with being incompatible with many scripts.

Starting by discussing the pros and cons, we had the idea of mixing up ABS and TBS(turn-based). And how would this work?
Basically, players would still be able to cut bushes, destroy cave entries using certain objects (kind of like the bombs in Zelda) and such...

Players would also be able to use spells such as the Fire Ball to hit an enemy from the distance, causing a surprise strike. Basically, it would be an attack that would strike first as soon as the battle started, be it a spell or a sword strike (this is where the ABS part comes in): just before the battle (in a Turn-based system) begins, the enemy would get hit by the aforementioned move causing damage or change of status if that's the case.
Of course, this is just the gist of it. To be honest, I've no experience in working with ABS stuff, so I'm here to ask for your ideas on how to do this, mainly the part of the ABS. The TBS one will be the easiest I suppose.

So, what do you think? Please comment, give your ideas on how to do this... because I really have no ideas of how to start it. The major problem is the ABS part, because I've no experience in coding something related to it. XD

Any help is appreciated, even if you can't say 'try this code', give suggestions to get the system better, etc. ^^

We really believe that this is a nice idea to start working in xD

Progress

How it all began...

@updated 06-05-2011
Mixing up GAOliver idea(limited drops/respawn as bushes do...) and ours, I did a new update to breakable stuff/bushes.
For example, when you're using a weapon that can't cut a crate, when you try to destroy it, it jumps at same place(no move...) and really gives the impression of getting hit. With bushes something similar occurs, obviously they won't jump(..I believe? Give your opinions about this xD).
Also, I've completed a system I've had in mind since Thursday dawn(idea only, that consists in accumulated hits on the crates, so they'll be destroyed. I mean, a crate needs to be hit twice(by weapons able to do it obviously)... so you need to hit it twice xD Cool I guess? The number of hits to each crate is specifically wrote in the event, taking in account that the minimum is 1.
This is it for today I guess xD Going to start working with turn based system now >.<
Wish me luck :D

@updated 05-05-2011 again!!
Woohoo Screenshots are finally out XD
You can check at the bottom of the topic

@updated 05-05-2011
Well, actually I did all this yesterday but here it goes...
By using some friends ideas and from GAOliver as well, I've made respawn of breakable stuff this way...
Depending on the quantity of a drop in the inventory, you drop another one or not.
Basically like this:
At the event we choose the item that we want to drop, then, depending on the quantity of that item on the inventory(branch that is configured at the event), you drop it or not.
I shall put some random on this as well, we'll see how votes goes on :P
One more change, the attack option, now, it's made by triggering Alt, this because Enter or C caused too many headaches to branch all the conditions... For instances, when pressing enter on new game, basically entering the game, it would attack o.o Kinda creepy isn't it? XD
I though about using Ctrl...but it causes bugs as well <.<
I'm actually thinking about using Alt and/or Left mouse click.. What you guys think about this? Give your opinions please  :lol:

@updated 03-05-2011
Well, I've finally completed the delay mode/change of character and its animation when doing the hit..
Also, the enemies can finally get 'preemptive strike' by the character xD, the 'problem' is how to do it XD. The 'radar' works 2 well and its kinda difficult to do a surprise attack but that's why it's a game o.o
Tomorrow, along with my project partner, we're going 2 finally put all this on the project, so I can say it's a version 1.0 Beta loool xD

@updated 02-05-2011
Detected and corrected a bug on the 'breakable' stuff that didn't respawn after going in the previous map again.
Corrected guards sensor (had a problem with the self switch turning off >.<)

@updated 01-05-2011
Unlike XAS, in which bushes or boxes only would be broke with only 1 weapon, I've made a method that would pick the weapons that would be able to do that, not only 1, but all that we want.

This weapons are configured at the script, by writing the weapon_id, range and the animation played when this one attacks by triggering Enter or C.

@updated 30-04-2011
I accompished to develop a system to check the events position in relation to the player >.<
I can cut bushes with 1 sword now <.< but the code of this is kinda creepy and i couldnt change the graphic till now while the cut is on xD

Screenshots

Some of the work till now XD

Attack action..

Spoiler: ShowHide

Cutting bush

Trying to destroy crate with weapon id 1 (it won't work on crates, weapons able to do it are configured on script)

receiving weapon id 3...

Using this last to destroy the crate

Normally entering on enemies sensor, note that enemy char does different poses(after this screen, the battle obviously begins, without any changes on it, no preemptive strike e.g)

Attacking with preemptive strike, winning first turn. After defeating the enemy...he lies down XD

Videos

Soon xD

I'll try to post a video really soon ^^

At the moment, I need ideas of how to do skills in abs >,<
Instead of wanting to be somebody else, rather become somebody else

"I will treasure the knowledge like a squirrel treasures acorns."

Gibbo Glast 2D Engine - The sky is no longer a limit

winkio

That sounds more like a TBS with map add-ons, not really a full abs.  As I remember, the recent handheld mario RPGs have done a similar sort of thing very effectively.  Not a bad idea at all :)

Apidcloud

Well, actually the abs would just be used for simple stuff XD
Do you have any idea of how to do that part? :P

thanks

winkio

Do I have any idea how?  Scripting and eventing!

I mean, you just make a system that checks for collisions and initiates battles, then add the special triggers on top of that. 

Apidcloud

@updated 02-05-2011

Corrected some major bugs XD

May check on main post

Looking for help to make the attacks delayed and change the graphic when using the wep.

Apidcloud

@updates on the system and topic...

screenshots available xd

G_G

Blizz-ABS is the way to go. It doesn't conflict with the default battle system plus is has Custom Event Triggers. (OMGAR NO WAY OH SHI-). Basically, you can see if an event is attacked by a specific weapon ID, or any weapon, attacked by a skill ID or any skill.

Apidcloud

Well, with this I can do it as I wish XD
Using XAS or Blizz ABS would make impossible the system that we've in mind...because they're abs's xD

BB