Editor Icons Request Thread

Started by Ryex, May 03, 2011, 03:44:40 am

Previous topic - Next topic

ShadowPierce

->Again, bored... Tried my hand on shading, and I am actually quite pleased with the results, though your opinions are what matters more... :haha: Also, I'm aware that 16x16 will be used, separating them when it's finally finished will be a piece of cake anyway... :3

I enlarged :naughty: the plus sign, recolored the arrow on the open icon to be more visible & darkened the borders of the scrolls... Thoughts?  :huh:

Spoiler: ShowHide
Quote from: Blizzard on February 16, 2011, 03:44:48 pmThere you go. It's the proof that SDK is crap. It's incompatible with itself.
3DS Friend Code: ShowHide
1161-0627-9890

Fantasist

What I'd suggest is reduce contrast on the scroll and increase it on the + symbols and such. Something like this:

Less contrast on background, more visibility of the actual symbol which indicates the action the button does.
Do you like ambient/electronic music? Then you should promote a talented artist! Help out here. (I'm serious. Just listen to his work at least!)

The best of freeware reviews: Gizmo's Freeware Reviews

ForeverZer0

I agree with Fant, it does look a bit clearer with the difference in contrast.
I am done scripting for RMXP. I will likely not offer support for even my own scripts anymore, but feel free to ask on the forum, there are plenty of other talented scripters that can help you.

ShadowPierce

->Yeah, now that you mention it... :P

Anyway, I'm just glad I got to help... :haha:

Quote from: Blizzard on February 16, 2011, 03:44:48 pmThere you go. It's the proof that SDK is crap. It's incompatible with itself.
1161-0627-9890

ForeverZer0

Quote from: ShadowPierce on September 22, 2011, 11:17:03 am
Anyway, I'm just glad I got to help... :haha:

There is still more to be done, don't stop now! ;)
I am done scripting for RMXP. I will likely not offer support for even my own scripts anymore, but feel free to ask on the forum, there are plenty of other talented scripters that can help you.

Ryex

wow, those look good!  I'm still of the opinion that the arrow on the open icon needs to point the other direction, out of the scroll to make it clear that it is an opening action.
I no longer keep up with posts in the forum very well. If you have a question or comment, about my work, or in general I welcome PM's. if you make a post in one of my threads and I don't reply with in a day or two feel free to PM me and point it out to me.<br /><br />DropBox, the best free file syncing service there is.<br />

Fantasist

September 22, 2011, 06:02:57 pm #26 Last Edit: September 22, 2011, 06:04:00 pm by Fantasist
Yeah. Instead of up and down, just up, or up and right would look good. And might I suggest a star instead of a plus sign for new project?
Do you like ambient/electronic music? Then you should promote a talented artist! Help out here. (I'm serious. Just listen to his work at least!)

The best of freeware reviews: Gizmo's Freeware Reviews

ShadowPierce

Quote from: Fantasist on September 22, 2011, 06:02:57 pm
Yeah. Instead of up and down, just up, or up and right would look good. And might I suggest a star instead of a plus sign for new project?

->I lowered the contrast of the scrolls, tried to copy the spark thingy on New icons, and created 2 kinds of Open icons... Whadd'y think? :3

1161-0627-9890

Dweller

ShadowPierce I think the trick here is what Fantasist did in his edit, make a dark border to the symbols, like:

Dwellercoc

ShadowPierce

1161-0627-9890

Ryex

I like like the second new open icon you made.
just two things,
I like the color the scrolls had before not this bright redish brown color
also the icon for the new project icon should in in the foreground not behind the scroll

I no longer keep up with posts in the forum very well. If you have a question or comment, about my work, or in general I welcome PM's. if you make a post in one of my threads and I don't reply with in a day or two feel free to PM me and point it out to me.<br /><br />DropBox, the best free file syncing service there is.<br />

legacyblade

September 25, 2011, 07:18:33 pm #31 Last Edit: September 25, 2011, 07:57:56 pm by legacyblade
I'm liking how the scroll icons are turning out. However, I suggest (just to make it easier for people with worse vision) to make the "open project" scroll a closed scroll with an arrow coming up out of it. It'd be really irritating to have to lean close to the screen to tell the "new project" from the "open project" button.

Anyways, I made a "event mode" icon. If you don't like it, just say so. I was wanting to put an eyeball icon in the corner, but that's pretty hard to squeeze into 2-5 pixels x.x

-- edit

I also did up a "dim layers" icon. I figured a candle would fit well along side the scrolls.

Lore

I like the candles, good job on that.
The Event Mode icon to me is a bit lacking, I personally find it pretty bland and dull. Perhaps make it a book to fit with the current theme?
I like the first open icon over the second one.
Also, the star seems a bit strange, it looks more like a tiny explosion, but maybe that's because it's in the background. Good job guys :)
Facebook is like your fridge. You know nothing is in there, but you check every 5 minutes anyways.

ShadowPierce

->I've been too busy ripping Trickster monsters for my project these past 2 days, so I'll take a break and work on these... :D

I think we better agree on these things, and I'll see what I can do... :haha:

Scroll's colors?
Writing on scroll? (Text or Map)
Outlines? (Yes or no)
New Project? (Star or Plus sign)
Open Project? (Direction & color of arrow)
Other stuff :3

@LB: I agree with Lore... The candles seem appropriate, but the Event button really doesn't feel right... :P Great job anyway! :haha:

1161-0627-9890

legacyblade

Alright. I figured the event icon was lacking, I just can't think of a better one that actually gets the idea across (sure, making a pretty icon is easy. It's just hard to put meaning into a 16x16 grid. Don't think those count as 1,000 words. lol). Glad you all liked the candle though. Twas originally gonna be a lamp, but I got lazy.

@shadowpeirce, I think new project needs a green plus sign. I like blue arrow for open scroll, and i think the arrow should be coming UP from the scroll (though that might make it look too similar to the new project, in which case you should keep it how it is.

Ryex

Scroll colors: the original colors but a bit less saturated, that light parchment color was good but it was just a tiny bit too bright
On the scroll: if you can do a map that would be VERY cool but this is 16x16 so don;t push you self there writing is fine
outlines: yes
new project: green plus sign is clearest best IMHO
open project: closed scroll, arrow coming out

it's only because of you awesome work so far that I was able to nail down what we wanted for these icons, so thanks for that.

ShadowPierce

->Thanks, will start on these right after work... :3 (We really need a smiley for this)

And, no, you're awesome... :xD:

1161-0627-9890

Lore

Quote from: Ryex on September 26, 2011, 01:44:43 pm
Scroll colors: the original colors but a bit less saturated, that light parchment color was good but it was just a tiny bit too bright
On the scroll: if you can do a map that would be VERY cool but this is 16x16 so don;t push you self there writing is fine

it's only because of you awesome work so far that I was able to nail down what we wanted for these icons, so thanks for that.

+1 to these.
Facebook is like your fridge. You know nothing is in there, but you check every 5 minutes anyways.

ShadowPierce

September 27, 2011, 04:24:48 pm #38 Last Edit: September 27, 2011, 04:28:48 pm by ShadowPierce
Quote from: Ryex on September 26, 2011, 01:44:43 pm

->Here's my latest edit:

Anything missing/too much/etc? :haha:

EDIT:
->I forgot to ask if it should be shaded... I was wondering if I should have shaded them, since it seem to have heavily changed the color of the scrolls... So...

Shaded? (Yes or No)

1161-0627-9890

ForeverZer0

Looking pretty good.
Would you be able to provide a shaded example so we have some for comparison?