Article about how Java sucks

Started by Blizzard, May 10, 2011, 05:29:21 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Blizzard

I admit that I am not a fan of Java myself, but this guy seems to hate it from the deepest abyss of his soul. xD

http://www.jwz.org/doc/java.html

I haven't worked with Java too much and I don't know if this maybe biased, but it's at least a fun read if anything else. xD In any case, before you go learn Java, you should consider the things this guy lists.
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

Zeriab

Notice the © 1997-2000. A lot of happened since then.
I have worked quite a bit with Java and like 90% of the stupid standard library stuff I encountered was legacy stuff from Java 1.2 and before.
It is clear that he didn't have List<Object> available as that fixes a bunch of the problems he mentioned. Stupidly Java only uses the information at compile time and throws it away afterwards  :facepalm:

There definitely still is a bunch of stupidity present Java ^_^

*hugs*

Blizzard

I find it funny that my collegue found this article when he was googling for "facts about Java". xD

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

Zeriab

Kagutsuchi

May 23, 2011, 07:12:01 am #4 Last Edit: May 23, 2011, 07:14:24 am by Kagutsuchi
Just looked into how to develop apps for android, and I find Java! Yes!
Spoiler: ShowHide

Got a subject called object oriented programming at the university, and there I have to learn java. Though I must say, for learning object oriented programming, java is quite nice since the VM can trace errors back to where they are in your code. So it is very easy to debug.

Blizzard

So can C#. ._. IMO C# is better suited for learning OOP.

PhoenixFire

Quote from: Blizzard on May 23, 2011, 08:27:17 am
So can C#. ._. IMO C# is better suited for learning OOP.

:beer:  Well said!! And yeah, c#, cpp.net, cpp, etc are all better to learn OOP with then Java, although, Java isn't tooo horrible to use.. :roll:
Quote from: Subsonic_Noise on July 01, 2011, 02:42:19 amNext off, how to create a first person shooter using microsoft excel.

Quote from: Zeriab on September 09, 2011, 02:58:58 pm<Remember when computers had turbo buttons?

Blizzard

No, C++ is generally difficult to learn and somebody who doesn't know any OOP should either take a scripting language such as Ruby or Python or a programming language to implements OO concepts well such as Java or C#. Of course Java is bad in a general area so that makes C# the better choice to learn OOP.

PhoenixFire

hmm... Maybe the reason I found it easier to learn, was because I had learned other languages before tackling cpp? The absolute EASIEST language to learn VERY BASIC programming, in my opinion, is probably going to be qbasic though. It gives you an idea of the flow of a program, and what parts it might require... No, it's not going to really help in the long run, but, it gives a starting point. Ruby and Python aren't too bad either, though, I personally don't know Python, but from what I've seen as example code, it looks simple enough.. And Ruby, well, isn't that we're using anyways? :V:
Quote from: Subsonic_Noise on July 01, 2011, 02:42:19 amNext off, how to create a first person shooter using microsoft excel.

Quote from: Zeriab on September 09, 2011, 02:58:58 pm<Remember when computers had turbo buttons?

Spaceman McConaughey

All of these iOS quality apps on my Android phone say otherwise in regards to Java being "bad".

Blizzard

We are currently TRYING to develop games for Android. Guess what. We're having a shitload of problems because Android's VM actually does support C and C++, but those asses from Google don't allow it and we are forced to use partially Java. Talk about it when you have first-hand experience.

Spaceman McConaughey

May 23, 2011, 06:48:25 pm #11 Last Edit: May 23, 2011, 06:52:54 pm by Tuggernuts
I was not talking about developing it, Blizzard. I was talking about the end product, that proves Java does not "suck".

No need to be rude, as well. :P

EDIT: To be more descriptive, I do not care about the problems Java gave anyone during development, as long as it is capable of producing a stable and great product. That shows me Java does not suck, at least in my opinion.

ForeverZer0

I don't think anybody is saying that Java is not capable of making good applications.  The entire post and the link to the article are related to the suck factor of developing it, though.

:ninja:
I am done scripting for RMXP. I will likely not offer support for even my own scripts anymore, but feel free to ask on the forum, there are plenty of other talented scripters that can help you.

Spaceman McConaughey

I read the article the first time this topic was posted, so I guess I forgot about the biggest point of it. :P

G_G

._. Is java really that bad? In my software dev class next year my teacher was going to have me work with Java and HTML 5. If I think I'd rather talk into her letting me setup Python and C++ environments if java sucks this bad (coding wise) xD

winkio

Java is weird in that the code looks nice and appears like it would be easy to write, but it has so many quirks and absurdities that you can get frustrated very easily.  On top of that, it's not as powerful as other similar languages.  Java isn't terrible, it just doesn't have any particular draw, so most programmers don't use it because there are either more powerful languages or more fluid languages they can work with.

Blizzard

The only ones that use it is some sort of fanboy group. It's always those that claim that Java is superior to any other language that use it. I guess they are just frustrated that Java was the first thing they encountered and now after they subconsciously realized that it sucks, they hate themselves for wasting so much time learning it that they now lie to themselves that it's the best so they don't feel like a failure.