A "Let's Play?"

Started by WhiteRose, May 11, 2011, 11:54:49 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteRose

I've been thinking about making a series of "Let's Play" videos. I think it would be fun, and you'll all get to know me a little better by hearing what I sound like and act like when I'm not posting on a forum. However, there are a couple issues. Firstly, I'd be using up time that might better be spent doing something more productive, such as working on SoD. Secondly, I'd have to decide on a game, and there hasn't been anything recently that's really caught my eye.

What do you all think? Should I create a few videos, or would it just be a waste of time? If you think I should do it, feel free to suggest a game. I'd prefer if it's something I haven't played, but maybe something that I haven't played for a very long time would be even more interesting.

winkio

Play something you are good at.  It's painful to watch LPers struggle through the game they are recording.  If you give me a genre or two, I could suggest something good :)

Shin Migumi

I was thinking of doing something like this as well, but solely on RPG maker games. or maybe even make video review of games, i've never seen them for RPG maker. But if you're talking about games in general, that would be cool as well.

WhiteRose

Probably the genre that I'm best at as far as actual talent and skill level go is music games like Rock Band. However, A - Those wouldn't be much fun to watch, as it's difficult to talk and give commentary while playing, especially if I'm singing; B - I've about played all of the good rhythm games to death, and C - most of the best games are on consoles, so it would be much more difficult to record.

I like RPGs a lot - all genres of RPG are fine, though I prefer open world RPGs like Oblivion to heavily story driven ones like Dragon Age. I also don't find FPSes, though I'll admit I'm not the best at them. I can usually get through them on Normal difficulty without much trouble, but that's about the extent of my ability.

Puzzle games are also fun, but I'm not sure if watching a LP of someone playing a puzzle game would be interesting at all, especially if you've played the game yourself and know the solutions.

Perhaps the best choice would be something like Mother 3 - somewhat story driven, but allowing for a good amount of time free-roaming, and with great characters and a good amount of humor. Of course, I doubt there are any games as fantastic as Mother 3 out there that I haven't played, but it provides a good example of a the type of game I think would work best.

ForeverZer0

A couple idea...

• Legend of Mana (PS1)

• Secret of Mana (SNES)

• Secret of Evermore (SNES)

• Earthbound (SNES)

I am done scripting for RMXP. I will likely not offer support for even my own scripts anymore, but feel free to ask on the forum, there are plenty of other talented scripters that can help you.

Shin Migumi

You sound kind of like me. I've played about all I can of Guitar Hero/Rock Band. although in it's prime, it was awesome. And I agree, playing a console game is harder to record, so i'd stick to something you can play on the computer.

I think RPGs are awesome (of course I do, i'm on this forum). In that aspect, i'd most likely venture into snes rpgs. I finally took the opportunity to play chrono trigger a while back since everyone was hounding me to play it. Games like those you can't go wrong with I think. Plus, I believe snes is the mother of all great rpgs.

So yea, I'd definitely do mother 3, chrono trigger, bahamut lagoon, something like that. There's still a million good RPGs I haven't even touched yet ):

winkio

Mario and Luigi Superstar Saga. (GBA I think)
Quest 64 (N64)

Those are my votes.

Spaceman McConaughey

Risen for PC. Have not played it yet, but it looks good, and I think it was a bit underrated.

WhiteRose

Wow, there are quite a few great suggestions already. I haven't even heard of some of these games, such as Quest 64 or Bahamut Lagoon. Those are good options. Maybe if this one goes well I'll make another LP. I'll read up a little on some of these suggestions and see if they would be fun.

Actually, maybe I shouldn't read up on them. An LP might be more fun to watch if I genuinely know nothing about the game.

Spaceman McConaughey

Quote from: Tuggernuts on May 12, 2011, 12:24:55 am
Risen for PC. Have not played it yet, but it looks good, and I think it was a bit underrated.

>8U

Shin Migumi

The Legend of Dragoon is one of the most underrated RPGs of it's time. simply awesome, but no one really played it. It was overshadowed by Final Fantasy VIII (Damn Square). If you haven't yet, try that out also.

Spaceman McConaughey

Another game that was insultingly underrated:

Drakan: the Ancients' Gates for the PS2.

It would make a great Let's Play, and the hero is a female(if that interests you at all).

Blizzard

Ogre Battle 64 - Person of Lordly Caliber
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

G_G

Vell

For a more modern suggestion; Radiant Historia. It's got the feel of a classic Snes-era RPG, and it defies a lot of conventions while still following trends enough to satisfy you that this is a truly inspired game.

That is if you can get through chapters 1 and chapters 2.

winkio

oh look, there's a topic here.  I wonder if anything ever became of it.  *keeps walking*

The Niche

*Trips Winkio up and then hides in Blizzard's coat*
Level me down, I'm trying to become the anti-blizz!
Quote from: winkio on June 15, 2011, 07:30:23 pm
Ah, excellent.  You liked my amusing sideshow, yes?  I'm just a simple fool, my wit entertains the wise, and my wisdom fools the fools.

I'm like the bible, widely hated and beautifully quotable.

Dropbox is this way, not any other way!

Tazero

Legend of Dragoon was simply amazing.

rod typhoon?
ahh, tactics advanced was fun and haven`t actually played the ps1 it looks fun  8-D

If you were a fish...

SBR*

Quote from: Tazero on September 29, 2011, 03:59:44 pm
Legend of Dragoon was simply amazing.

rod typhoon?
ahh, tactics advanced was fun and haven`t actually played the ps1 it looks fun  8-D

That, sir, is one heck of a necropost XD. Don't you know WR is gone for two years? Roflmao.