Started by Spaceman McConaughey, May 14, 2011, 04:16:27 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Spaceman McConaughey

Blizzard

Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

winkio

So they tested it on 5 patients, it took 3 months to have any effect, and the benefits were slow and small, and there were adverse side effects.  That was from their most recent update, posted a year ago: http://www.dca.med.ualberta.ca/Home/Updates/2010-05-12_Update.cfm

Blizzard

May 14, 2011, 08:00:10 pm #3 Last Edit: May 14, 2011, 08:04:21 pm by Scorpion
While I understand your point, I still think that the pharmaceutic industry is just one giant asshole. Just because they couldn't milk a potential cancer cure to become even richer, they have declined any support. It even says it in the article that those guys with the potential cure only got so far because of donations from a few sources. If they had good support, they could be quite far in their research by now and the cure might have even been already available.

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

Spaceman McConaughey

Quote from: winkio on May 14, 2011, 06:48:37 pm
So they tested it on 5 patients, it took 3 months to have any effect, and the benefits were slow and small, and there were adverse side effects.  That was from their most recent update, posted a year ago: http://www.dca.med.ualberta.ca/Home/Updates/2010-05-12_Update.cfm

Good for the DCA and their test! And also everything Blizzard said.

The medical/pharmaceutic industry cares more about making money on their non effective drugs they've had out then a new cure that will make them lots.

If that really is the case, it seems like they just love thinking about how much people they kill. They sicken me.

winkio

There's literally thousands of potential cancer cures.  Some professors at my university are using gold nanoshell injections combined with mild radiation therapy (the gold nanoshells attach to cancer cells and amplify the radiation creating a localized high radiation field that only destroys cancer cells, not normal ones), and they have had much better results, and have been in clinical trials for something like seven years.  Also, they have gotten support from med schools and hospitals, not companies. 

You guys can rage all you want, but all I see is companies doing what they do.  Companies can only exist if they make profits, so I don't expect them to do unprofitable things.  Hospitals and med schools can get lots of research funding from the government as well as national and international organizations, and it is often times profitable for them to invest in research.  This is how the system works.  You can't expect a big company to throw their full support behind an untested idea.

Blizzard

May 15, 2011, 04:56:48 am #6 Last Edit: May 15, 2011, 04:59:39 am by Scorpion
What I am trying to say is that it's one thing to make money of people's misery, but another thing to make money of people's deaths. I know that companies are interested only in making money, but being a soulless bastard and making money of other people dying is something I won't step over.
And who said full support? It wouldn't have killed them to give those guys a million dollars to speed up things. It's not like they are barely covering their loses, they have a huge profit.