[Finished] [ARCed] Laying out the Database Panels

Started by Ryex, May 15, 2011, 08:53:09 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Ryex

May 15, 2011, 08:53:09 pm Last Edit: October 18, 2011, 02:18:51 am by Blizzard
Laying out the Database Panels

Description

For now that database panels are going to mirror the ones in RMXP exactly. they will be changed as ARC is developed.

the tool WxFormBuilder at http://www.wxformbuilder.org will greatly aid in the creation of these panels

I've created a formbuilder project files with a panel for each of the database tabs. use RMXP as a reference and lay out the controls.

the interfacing with events ill be done later but setting up names for the methods bound to the UI_Update event and the event raised when information on that control is changes needs to be done. this will literally save me hours of time writing up the event binding information myself.

Priority

Normal

this task isn't crucial but it will take hours and hours of work.

Prerequisites

None

Assigned

ForeverZer0

Everything else

make sure to name each control or sizer added to the panel such that it ill be easily recognizable what it's purpose is and use consistent naming conventions.

each control has an event specific to it. for example text boxes or any control with a text edit area will have an EVT_TEXT event. look up these controls in the wxWidgets documentation to see what they are and if they will be needed for that control. in the events tab of the properties box be sure to give these events as ell as the EVT_UI_UPDATE event a method name to bind to.

When there is non default control (the the stat graphics for the actors or the animation windows) put a static bitmap in it's place and name it appropriately it ill be replaces with a costume written control later.

use the buttons in the top tool bar to get the right alignment and expansion for the buttons. these panels will be re sizable so the controls must be set up to keep their alinement's and expand as necessary to look good. resize the panel your self in the designer to see how it looks. there is a property of every control under sizeritem in the properties panel called proportion this is used to determine hat portion of the space allocated by the sizer the control is under relative to the other control in that same sizer. even sizers have them when under another sizer. use this to get the right layout. when proportion is 0 the control dose not expand

it may be a good Idea to install a version of wxformbuilder on another platform like linux or osx and open the project file to be sure that you have set all the sizer attributes properly to ensure a proper look on all platforms. feel free to use a VM.

this task dose not require large amounts of knowledge of the wx library so anyone on the teem should be able to do it.
I no longer keep up with posts in the forum very well. If you have a question or comment, about my work, or in general I welcome PM's. if you make a post in one of my threads and I don't reply with in a day or two feel free to PM me and point it out to me.<br /><br />DropBox, the best free file syncing service there is.<br />

ForeverZer0

July 28, 2011, 07:20:35 pm #1 Last Edit: July 29, 2011, 07:55:40 pm by ForeverZer0
I'm currently working on the layout for the Classes panel.

EDIT:

Okay, finally starting to make some progress.  The sizers took me a little to get used to. Those things are a pain in my ass.
I am done scripting for RMXP. I will likely not offer support for even my own scripts anymore, but feel free to ask on the forum, there are plenty of other talented scripters that can help you.

ForeverZer0

* Double-Posts *

Okay, here's what I got so far for the Class Editor.  I want some opinions before I go any further so I'm not wasting my time if you guys had something else in mind.

Normal/Minimum Size: ShowHide

Here's how the window will expand.  I personally think the proportions are about right.
Full Screen (1366x768): ShowHide

Here's how it appears in the editor if you were wondering about the blank box in the top-left.  Not sure why it won't display during test runs, but whatever...
Spoiler: ShowHide

All objects have been named appropriately, required events created, tooltips, etc., etc.
I am done scripting for RMXP. I will likely not offer support for even my own scripts anymore, but feel free to ask on the forum, there are plenty of other talented scripters that can help you.

Ryex

I no longer keep up with posts in the forum very well. If you have a question or comment, about my work, or in general I welcome PM's. if you make a post in one of my threads and I don't reply with in a day or two feel free to PM me and point it out to me.<br /><br />DropBox, the best free file syncing service there is.<br />

ForeverZer0

Something strange is going on.  I'm doing the Actors layout, and and it keeps crashing wxForms.  The problem arises with the check boxes for fixed equipment for some reason.  On some of them, it crashes only after I create an event, while others it crashes as soon as I select on of them.

Here's the stacktrace:

Spoiler: ShowHide

This is kinda pissing me off.

G_G

July 30, 2011, 02:46:19 pm #5 Last Edit: July 30, 2011, 02:49:02 pm by game_guy
Can't really help, I just wanna post that I'll do the layout for Skills and Items. And when those are done I'll grab a couple of more if no ones doing them.

@F0: What sizes are your forms?

Ryex

commit the changes to SVN and I'll take a look.

ForeverZer0

They are resizable. The editor is going to work a little different, it will allow for multiple database windows to be open at the same time, instead of being modal.

Ryex

Quote from: SVN commit log- Refactored some code for the database panels
- Begin setting min/max for database panels controls
- Added app for formatting wxFormBuilder code automatically

I love you F0 it takes ages to fix it all by hand :P

ForeverZer0

September 24, 2011, 09:14:44 pm #9 Last Edit: September 25, 2011, 12:40:59 pm by ForeverZer0
lol, I actually started to do it manually, and then I thought better of it and spent the 5 minutes to make a small C# app to do it for me. I figured it would be especially handy for when we have to keep re-generated the code after making changes.

EDIT:
I found a weird bug in wxFormBuilder's generated Python code. For some strange reason, it appends a single quote to the names of ListBox controls, which obviously causes a syntax error when trying to run the code. I may need to add a the functionality to remove this to the little formatter app. :P

EDIT 2:
Nevermind. I am an idiot. I had a typo in an event that I had copy-pasted throughout the entire file. :facepalm:

ForeverZer0

I'm calling this finished and moving it. There are still going to be some minor tweaks once we get a little further along, but all the basic layout and functionality is done. I left out defining tooltips, since these will be defined in a localized language file.