Strange events involving hidden modules and dll files.

Started by shdwlink1993, May 12, 2008, 07:38:20 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

shdwlink1993

I made a similar post to this one on RMRev, but I wanted some input, so I'm posting it here ;).

I have hit on a very interesting little quirk in RPG Makers XP and VX. Overwriting any "hidden module" (Input, Graphics, RPG, probably more, but I'm not sure) also alters something in the .dll file you are using, meaning that there's a good chance that your change will affect all the games.

How do I know this? Simple: RPG Maker VX is getting it's Input module from Tons of Addons, in an RMXP project, which I used about three months ago, and then changed my mind on it's Input Script (which really makes no difference, because I can still use the numberpad... And I don't remember why I stopped trying to use the Input script, but it still works anyway. Persistent script, Blizz! It works after you told it not to on other projects! ;D.)

This makes some very interesting things happen if you are stupid enough to attempt them. The biggest hint I had that this dll overwriting was occurring was when, as a test, I "undefined" (meaning I defined it as nothing) Graphics.Update. And the results of that are still in effect, even though I am no longer using that script (In case you wanted to know, the game runs about 1/3 faster than it used to, with no downsides that I know of!)

I'm not 100% certain that it is the dll file that is causing this, but unless someone has another idea as to what is causing this, I'm thinking it's the dll. Also, I'm curious to see if anyone has an explicable reason as to why VX is getting settings from XP, because this isn't making very much sense to me.
Stuff I've made:

"Never think you're perfect or else you'll stop improving yourself."

"Some people say the glass is half full... some half empty... I just wanna know who's been drinking my beer."

Blizzard

First off, you practically can't change the DLL with a script that redefines stuff. If you wanted to change the DLL, you'd have to actually open it in the editor and mess around with the compiled code.

Second off, if you have removed your script and still have problems, you should check through your scripts as it's most probably caused by a leftover. Have you set the Graphics.frame_rate somewhere and forgotten about it? Or have you accidently forgotten to remove a script that causes the lag now?

Remember what I told you about Luvia Library? The PM where I said that you will encounter lag? It was because of the Mode7 test script. Even though my ABSEAL worked fine, the code of Mode7 caused lag inbetween and undid ABSEAL's funcionality to remove sprites from empty events.
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

shdwlink1993

The main problem is not that the game still registers the numberpad. I like the numberpad in my game :D. When I boot up Shadows of the Forgotten and I can use the numberpad because of another project's settings, thats worrying :-[. And when VX lets me use the numberpad because of an XP project's settings, I get worried :(. The only reason Chaos Project doesn't is because it uses a cooler system ;D.
Stuff I've made:

"Never think you're perfect or else you'll stop improving yourself."

"Some people say the glass is half full... some half empty... I just wanna know who's been drinking my beer."

Blizzard

It's possible that you copied the settings as well or that VX and XP interpolate somehow in that area. I think it's related to project settings, no to the actual engine.
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.