[XP] Event Proximity Icons

Started by ForeverZer0, May 16, 2011, 02:29:57 am

Previous topic - Next topic

ForeverZer0

July 15, 2011, 08:50:43 pm #20 Last Edit: July 24, 2011, 10:18:31 pm by ForeverZer0
* Updates script to version 1.2 *

Fixed the bug with save data. I was storing Bitmaps in a class that gets marshaled, and Bitmaps are not able to be marshaled.
I ended up just moving the icons to a hash in Game_Temp that gets changed whenever the map is loaded.

Thanks to Taiine for her reminders. ;)
I am done scripting for RMXP. I will likely not offer support for even my own scripts anymore, but feel free to ask on the forum, there are plenty of other talented scripters that can help you.

Taiine

Your script don't like BABS. :P

I was discovering an oddity with in my game. It seemed the icons didn't want to show up when you drew near the event, but rather a space up and to the left of it.

My games test map. Girl at the very bottom has a red orb behind her head that appears not when you get close to her, but rather when I step into where I am (the guy with the white hair)

This also happens in your demo when the BABS is added to it. The icons no longer show when you move near the event, but rather when you move close to the distance I show here.

ForeverZer0

Its the pixel movement, it messes with the coordinates.
I'll see if I can add some compatibility, I always forget about pixel-movement in BABS...
I am done scripting for RMXP. I will likely not offer support for even my own scripts anymore, but feel free to ask on the forum, there are plenty of other talented scripters that can help you.

Raziel 0128

Ah good I've been waiting for this. Thanks for the fix.

Taiine

ForeverZer0

Probably won't be until tomorrow. I'm setting up a fresh install of an OS right at the moment. That's gonna be a few hours minimum.
I did get RMXP reinstalled already if thats any consolation. ;)

Taiine

*puts a sticky note on FZ's forehead as a reminder!*  :naughty:

Taiine

July 21, 2011, 10:43:13 pm #27 Last Edit: July 22, 2011, 06:36:10 pm by Taiine
*double posts to add another sticky note to FZ0's forehead as a reminder to check her last reminder!*

;)

>.>
<.<
Spoiler: ShowHide

*runs*

But really, have less then 7 days before my nets cut off, really hoping to have this before then. :(

ForeverZer0

* Updates script to v.1.3 *

It is now compatible with Blizz-ABS pixel-movement.

Taiine

*add's another sticky note with her thanks on it*

XD

Dweller

This script is fantastic and very use friendly.

I used to place a question mark on top of the NPCs that give quest to the player on my game. I discover a small bug when you use local switch. Example: When you talk to an NPC I add the quest to the player and use the comment to show the quest icon, then I active the first local switch so the NPC shows a different message, and I use no comments because in this case I don't want to show the icon (because the quest is already taken. Here is the problem, when the second conversation ends, the icon don't dissapear and begin to move when the players do.

I resolved myself this problem adding (in configuration) a new comment to the script with no content and adding in the second switch a comment with no content:
TAGS = ['quest', 'SEARCH', 'ATTACK', '']
  # These are th codes that will be searched for in event page comments
  ICONS = ['quest', 'search', 'attack', '']
  # These are the filenames of the respective codes, located in Pictures folder

Thanks to ForeverZer0, I was doing this with events and was a really hard work, now is so easy using this script.
Dwellercoc

AJNR95

I done goofed

Switched tags to TAGS = "['Event', 'Search', 'Enemy']" and all the Pictures corresponds.
The error begins after the title screen when entering a map. I disabled Glow_Only

Drago's Smooth Scroller probably conflicts with this.

by Blizz: Spoilered, because image is 2.6 MB.
by AJNR95: Unspoilered, because fuck you - ¡Viva la Revolución!
by Blizz: Spoilered again, and Banned.

Landith

I know this topic is kinda old and they necroposted but I just wanted to give ForeverZer0 props for creating this haha

I seriously requested the same thing but with windows like 2 years ago haha
old request lol: ShowHide

This is so much cooler though because it gives a whole new interactive element to your game.
Just nice job on such a simple script :)

Vexus

I edited the script coords so that the icon would show on your character's head and would like to know if how I made it is correct and won't give me any trouble in the future.

Lines are these (193-194):

@icon_sprite.x = $game_player.screen_x - 5
@icon_sprite.y = $game_player.screen_y - 58

It works but since I don't know how to script I'd rather ask to be 100% sure. (The minus values are there because without them the icon shows at the bottom of your character.)
Current Project/s:

Raziel 0128

After some more testing I've found that if a map contains more than one event proximity icon and you save and reload you get the following error:
"Script 'Proximity Icons' line 140: NoMethodError occurred.
undefined method '[]' for nil:Nilclass"

This occurs even in a fresh project with just this script installed. For example if you create two npcs with TALK or one npc with TALK and SEARCH either will crash the game when reloaded from a save.

Landith

I've been getting the same error Raziel has been getting.

Even if I don't have an event with a comment in it I still get the same error whenever I kill an enemy/use a skill that has a sprite on it.
(I use BABS)

flag = $game_temp.proximity_data[character.id][0]

That line is line 140 if that helps.

Fenriswolf

Hey F0, I'm thinking about using this script, but the bug that Raziel and Landith have been having,
makes this difficult, because I'm planning to have multiple quests in the same map in multiple locations.

Any chance you could try to fix this bug?

ForeverZer0

I'll take a look some after work and see if I can find a fix.

Fenriswolf

ForeverZer0

* Updates script and demo to version 1.4 *

Ok, all fixed. I made a rather amateur mistake when making this. I used a hash in Game_Temp to store sprite data, including the icons. I used Game_Temp simply because it does not get saved, since Bitmaps cannot be saved. That was rather stupid of me, I didn't need to store the icons at all, I can just use string and load them when needed with RPG::Cache using that.

I ended up moving @proximity_data to Game_Map so that it gets saved with and loaded with the game and no more "undefined" errors. Old save files you may try to use will be corrupted, so erase them if you plan on using the new version of the script.