Does anyone here play Team Fortress 2?

Started by WhiteRose, May 20, 2011, 08:04:39 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteRose

It was on sale on Steam so I bought a copy, but I haven't played it yet because I'm worried about playing a team-oriented game without having any knowledge about it or how to play - I'll probably just get yelled at and kicked for being such a bad teammate. If I had someone else on my team that I knew, though, then I wouldn't feel so nervous. Does anyone else here play, and if so, would they like to try a round or two with me?

winkio

actually, one of my friends from school convinced me to buy orange box, so I now own TF2, although I haven't installed it yet.  I'll start downloading it tonight, then I'd be happy to play later.  While I haven't played TF2 before, I used to play Wolfenstein ET all the time, and the two games are very, very, very, very similar (it's almost like TF2 is an expansion pack of ET), so I should be able to help you out with tips and such.  My steam ID is winkio, but if that doesn't work, the email linked to the account is christiansenryan@gmail.com.

WhiteRose

Quote from: winkio on May 20, 2011, 08:34:06 pm
actually, one of my friends from school convinced me to buy orange box, so I now own TF2, although I haven't installed it yet.  I'll start downloading it tonight, then I'd be happy to play later.  While I haven't played TF2 before, I used to play Wolfenstein ET all the time, and the two games are very, very, very, very similar (it's almost like TF2 is an expansion pack of ET), so I should be able to help you out with tips and such.  My steam ID is winkio, but if that doesn't work, the email linked to the account is christiansenryan@gmail.com.

Alright, I'll go ahead and add you. Hopefully we'll be able to figure things out together.

winkio

May 20, 2011, 08:43:01 pm #3 Last Edit: May 21, 2011, 08:43:03 pm by winkio
cool.  It downloaded 20% in around 20 minutes, so I'll definitely be on tomorrow, if not later tonight.

EDIT: so I've been playing more, but the game feels like there is not enough depth.  Like, I'm sniping, or using demo grenades to hold a choke, and I'm moving around constantly to keep from being hit, and then I die in 1 hit from a spy.  The sniper rifle itself is useless, because you have to move slowly for two full seconds before each shot and get a headshot to be able to kill anybody, and if you try and take that time, you die.  Medics heal so fast that I often find myself emptying a full clip of ammo into an enemy while he has his back to me and then retreating once he turns around because he is back at full health.  Yeah, lots of complaining, I know, but I was just expecting better because of all the good things I've heard about the game.  It's certainly nowhere near the quality of Wolfenstein ET.

There are good things though.  I think the pyro, soldier, demo, and engineer are very well thought out classes, and I like the simplicity of objectives and weapons.  I guess what I'm saying is that it could be redesigned to be a truly good game, but right now it feels quite hectic and shallow.