Spriting school lesson one: Recolouring

Started by The Niche, May 25, 2011, 06:51:41 am

Previous topic - Next topic

The Niche

Ok, so. There are a lot of ways to do recolours. But since you're learning pixelling, do it manually. I'll do another lesson on techniques for doing these things quicker later on.

So. We are going to take this:

And make him blonde. Yeah, I'm starting easy.

So. First off, download the image and open it in GIMP/Photoshop/Whatever you have. I'm using gimp, so sorry if my language is alien to you, I'll try and speak basically.

Now then, choose a colour for your darkest shade. Mine is HTML a19300. Select all pixels with the same colour as the darkest colour in the hair and fill your whole selection with your colour. Mine came out like so:

Now repeat the process, making your way up the colour scale.

New colour: HTML bcab00

New colour: HTML d2c000

New colour: HTML e4d100

New colour: HTML edda13

Assignment: Taking the same sprite, change the colour of the jumper. Post your end result and all the colours you used. Make the jumper whatever colour you want.
Level me down, I'm trying to become the anti-blizz!
Quote from: winkio on June 15, 2011, 07:30:23 pm
Ah, excellent.  You liked my amusing sideshow, yes?  I'm just a simple fool, my wit entertains the wise, and my wisdom fools the fools.

I'm like the bible, widely hated and beautifully quotable.

Dropbox is this way, not any other way!

Blizzard

Why are you calling the colors "HTML HEXCODE" instead of just "HEXCODE" or at least "#HEXCODE"?
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

Subsonic_Noise

I already finished the task, but then again I'm a professional spriter anyways so it was to be expected that  I'm better than everyone else.

Spoiler: ShowHide

The Niche

@Blizz: Dunno, felt like it.

@Sub: Top of the class!
Ah, excellent.  You liked my amusing sideshow, yes?  I'm just a simple fool, my wit entertains the wise, and my wisdom fools the fools.

LazyViking

May 25, 2011, 02:42:15 pm #4 Last Edit: May 25, 2011, 02:44:03 pm by LazyViking
O.K, i dont know if i am allowed to post here or not, because i havent signed up, but ill post what i did anyway :P

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Worki'n on my first game! gotta say its a lot of work, trying to figure it all out xD but its so awesome! it's Legen
dary!

The Niche

May 29, 2011, 02:30:42 pm #5 Last Edit: June 29, 2011, 10:36:31 pm by The Niche
@LazyViking: Would you mind uploading to photobucket? Imageshack is blocked for me. If not, that's fine, I'll have a look when I get home on wednesday.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand we're back.
Now I've finally had a look at your sprite, I'd like to point out that the assignment was to recolour the jumper.  :facepalm: