Simulated Environment

Started by Vell, May 30, 2011, 12:02:38 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Vell

Nice, short, sweet, to the point, and gets the message across.

What is power? If one could train their body beyond its limits, would it make them more? Would attaining a level of raw strength above that of average men make one any different? They would still be human, would they not? Questions ever abound in the human mind. If you could think faster than any other, compute any equation as swiftly as a machine, what would that mean? To have the mental acuity to learn anything. Isn't that what humanity dreams of? To advance to a point where no obstacle can impede them?

It's been reached. Hasn't it? There's been tales throughout the ages of men who were unkillable. China's Lu Bu. Japan's Tadakatsu Honda. Is it something of oriental origin? Is it not also true that there've been enlightened people? Those who the world seemed to have opened up to, and who saw many truths? How could we hope to reach an evolution where all of humanity is as advanced as they? Will technology lead us to the answer? Many think so. But not some. Some believe it can only be a natural progression; to force it forward would be to lead to disaster.

These questions are irrelevant. In a facility, far from the planet they call home, scientists and men of arms train, study, and learn. It is a testing facility, testing both science and tactics. One man in particular, a simple soldier, is the focus of our detail. What he sees is an illusion. Palm trees, digitally rendered, and a beach; an ocean extending infinitely off to the left. A weapon in his hands, and a foe across from him. How does he handle the situation? He must defend himself. The location is given, the scenario is now delivered.

He was to deliver a package, covertly. He was discovered; now he must make his way off the beach into the city. Nobody who sees his face must be left alive. His task is now: Escape. His weapons: two sidearms, a package of explosives in a pack on his back, and a rifle. Ammunition is limited. A red laser lights on his chest, and he hears a language he cannot understand. Presumably, he is being told to put his hands up.

This is your situation, soldier. Respond appropriately.

Blizzard

(This is NOT going well...)
"Easy there, buddies. Everything's fine. I give up."

Samuel puts his rifle on the ground along with the rest of his weapons and ammo. Out of the bushes 3 men appear. One is holding the weapon with the laser pointer, the two others have normal handguns. But this doesn't seem to be a normal rifle with a laser pointer. Something's odd about it.
The other two men captivate Sam.

(I guess this means game-over... Damn, I was so close this time!)

The simulation ends. Sam has failed to accomplish the mission yet again. His superior is yelling at him again for failing, his collegues are laughing by the side.

"Sir, with all due respect, this is bullshit. I can't give my best if it isn't real. If there is no adrenaline, if there is no real danger, I don't care. I don't care if I fail or not because it doesn't matter."
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

Vell

"Soldier, you complete the simulation. Succeed, or you'll be shipped back to the planet in shame, like all the others. Your next test is in half an hour; you're on lunch break." Samuel was dismissed. When he returned to the mess, a meal was waiting for him, as it always was. A few select other soldiers had their meals waiting for them, as well.

Soon, he was called back. He'd had ten minutes.

"Soldier. This is your last chance. Fail again, and you're through." As Samuel was about to head into the simulation, "That real enough for you? Tcheh."

Blizzard

Suddenly something seemed wrong. Something seemed different.

(What the?! Is this really a simulation?)

Samuel went to some plants and smelled them.

(How is this even possible? These plants actually have a smell. They never have a smell in these simulations... Wait a moment... I had half an hour for lunch, that was just 15 minutes ago. Something isn't right about this...)

This time Samuel's mission was not to deliver a package. It was not to laserpoint an airstrike target from afar. And it was certainly not simple body-guarding. It was dangerous this time.

(What is this?)

Sam pulled out some small kind of device.

(I didn't even notice the general putting that there.)

A small hologram appeared from the device.

"Soldier. If you are receiving this message, it means you sensory input was restored for a moment. To restore your body to its full functionality, you have to stop the illusion right now. There is no time for explanation. This is not reality. Find the flaw in the illusion. How did you get here in the first place? You will not have an answer as this is not real." The hologram gets cut off.

"Alright, general. This isn't funny. You wanna give me a lecture? I get it. I pissed you off. I think your simulations are crap. What are you gonna do about it? Hold me here? For how long, 15 minutes until my break's over?"

(What a jerk.)

Sam takes another look at the device and find something that looks like an opening. He takes his knife and manages to open it up. The contents of the small device would reveal a shocking revelation.

(Empty?! This can't be! A hologram just came out of this, it can't be empty! There has to be a shitload of electronics in here to accomplish that! What if...? No way...)

Suddenly Sam hears somebody approaching.

(Damn, no time now... That must be at least 5 people and they're just behind those trees. I gotta get moving.)

Sam starts running in the opposite direction with the little bit of gear that he has on his back.

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

Vell

"Sir, you shouldn't disengage the safeties!"

"He said he wanted it to be real."

"But you didn't even alert him."

"He's smart. He'll figure it out. If he doesn't, this whole thing is a failure anyway!"

"Sir..."

"Just deal with it, soldier."

"...Yes, sir."

Samuel was being chased into a corner. There would be nowhere to run; the general's voice warns him of this, disembodied somehow.

How could he respond? He must make a stand, or die.

Blizzard

(Wait, wait, wait, this doesn't make any sense! I don't even remember coming to the training grounds! Am I dreaming or what? But it can't be... Everything feels real...)

"Alright, fine... This has to be a dream. I don't remember getting up this morning. This isn't real. I will wake up now."

The soldiers come closer and closer. Samuel will be shot any moment if he doesn't do something.

"C'mon, c'mon!"

The soldiers take their positions and start shooting.

"FUUUUUUUUU-"

Samuel opens his eyes. He's lying on a table in a room with dim lighting. Onto his body there are electrodes attached, mostly over his face.

"What the..."

He takes off the electrodes slowly and gets up.

(Where am I? This looks a lot like the facility from before, but it's different. What happened...?)

Samuel tumbles through the room to a terminal console. He tries to access whatever data he can find, but everything is restricted. The only thing that he can find are his vital signs during "Operation Theta".

"... 156% muscle growth... over 250% increase in speed... 127% increase in mental capacity... and all parameters are growing..."

Just now Samuel takes a look at his body and notices the changes.

(What is going on here?)

Suddenly the lights turn on fully and somebody shoots several tranquilizer darts right into his back.

"Argh! What... is... the... fuck... ugh..."

Samuel loses consciousness.

Vell

"Samuel is coming along smoothly, it seems."

"That he is."

"I told you that man had potential."

"Amateur's luck, I assure you, general. Your precious little soldier may not live up to the strain."

"He'll pull through. The bugger just needs the proper motivation."

"Are we to trust you to provide this motivation?"

"Yes, doctor. Yes, you are. Because that's my job. You can't take me out of the equation."

Samuel would wake up in his quarters. After his breakfast meal, he would be expected to show up at the proper location for training.

His next simulation is thus:

He has a combat knife, and a sidearm for weapons. The background, delivered to him before the simulation begins, is that he was dropped behind enemy sidelines. His assault rifle was dropped with poor aim; he would have an option of attempting to retrieve it.

His mission here is to exact guerrilla operations, acting unseen and silencing any patrols he possibly could. He would have backup arriving in four hours, but he would have to do as much damage without being detected before then. THe military presence of the allies here is significantly smaller than necessary, and the success of Samuel's efforts would decide the outcome of the approaching battle.

The safeties are off; he is informed of this.

Blizzard

(Yet another task... What happened back there? Was I awake? Or was I dreaming? Am I dreaming now? I have to find a way out of this...)

Samuel has no other choice but to do the mission.

Vell

(sorry about taking so long. Distractions)

The first complication rose when he encountered his first patrol. They had significantly stronger armor than he'd been expecting. With what he's been given, how can he handle the situation?

Blizzard

Samuel decides that the only way he can get past those soldiers is to kill them. And the only way to kill the without dying, is to kill them one by one. Samuel sneaks up on one of them and takes him out. He proceeds to the next one. After a few soldiers are already dead, the remaining 2 notice that something is wrong. They start looking around and just when Samuel is about to take out one of them, the other notices and stops him with a smack with his rifle. Samuel is unarmed except for a combat knife. He left his gear nearby so he can more swifter and stealthier.

(Is this game over...? No... I can't lose this time...)

Suddenly the two soldiers prepare their guns to fire at Samuel.

(What the?! I have given up, what is this?! No time!)

Samuel jumps into the bushes while the soldiers start firing.

(Just great! First the safeties are removed from the simulation and now they're not taking prisoners.)

Samuel manages to get away and get his remaining gear. He gets out his rifle and starts hunting the remaining soldiers. He can sneak up on one of them, but has to take him out from a distance. He fires a few shots, but the armor protects the soldier too well.

(Damn...)

He grabs a grenade, pulls out the trigger and waits.

"Ok, ok, ok! Wait! I give up!"

The soldier has the rifle pointed at Samuel who comes out of the bushes with his hands behind his head, hiding the grenade.

"I give up."

He shows his hands. When the soldier notices something in his hand, Samuel lets it fall down and kicks it toward the soldier. The soldier still doesn't realize what's going on until he catches the grenade. Boom!

"One more to go..."

At this moment the other soldier surprises Samuel from the back. He engages into a fist fight and Samuel manages to kill the last soldier with his knife.
Samuel continues his mission. Soon he reaches a large warehouse...

Vell

There is a powerful explosive within, and stores of weapons and food. And a battalion of soldiers. Garbed as he is in allied gear, he wouldn't be capable of easily sneaking in.

But then, he just needs to light the explosives doesn't he? Does he fight his way through? Or does Samuel ignore it?

Or maybe, does he find a third option?