Pokket's Music Thread

Started by pokket, June 02, 2011, 12:56:55 am

Previous topic - Next topic

pokket

Why, hello there. So I'm new to this forum and I already posted a topic about some script help and I realized "what a jerk move to do, I should give something in return" so here I am. I wasn't sure if I should put this in resources, but I wasn't exactly sure where else to put it.

Anyway, I'm somewhat of a musician. My focal point is instrumental hip hop and trip hop. This means I do a lot of sampling and do some synth work and composition to make the best stuff I can make. I also do remixes. Right now I'm interested in doing music for games, so I actually have a question for you guys before I showcase some of my work. To those who compose for games, what programs do you recommend? I want it to sound game-like of course, so I was thinking of using a midi program but wasn't sure where to begin.

I've been using FL Studio for six years and I have a legal copy as I like image-line's work. I've played live shows before, but that's recently settled down as I've been actually focused on a netlabel I put together a few months back as well as studying philosophy and business in college, as well as creative writing. I guess you could say I'm a jack of all trades, my weak points in the game industry being programming (which I'm hoping to change as I get a better grasp on the ruby language) and art work. I suck at art haha.

So now, let me show you some of my work. My most recent completed stuff can be found on my bandcamp.I'm most fond of my Snoop Dogg remix I did for a contest. I earned seventh place for it though, but hey, that's pretty good for the probably 100 something people that entered. I didn't win anything though :( On the bandcamp you can also find my latest full length album "Two Clicks From Hades" which is instrumental and experimental hip hop. The mixing isn't very good though in my opinion, but I've received compliments on it. It's name your own price but if you want it for free just enter 0 for the amount. I won't be mad, I promise. The money helps though as always for me to continue my ventures. And lastly there's a remix of my friend's band which is a little more pop like. So I hope you dig it.

Next I have some demos for my next ep "The Lie". Remember, these are demos and are not finalized by any means. There's some problems with them, and I'm working on mixing them better as well as expanding. You can find the demos on my soundcloud.

And lastly, the netlabel I mentioned. It's entitled "The Oleum Fold" and is mainly donation based right now. We take submissions so if anyone's interested let me know. You can visit the site to get more info on that as I don't want to pass myself off as rp rep. I plan to do more with it once I finish up this business degree, but right now all my money just goes to supporting the site, bandwith, etc. Which is what the donations are for and buying any of my music. You can visit it here.

Oh, and I do write but I don't have anything of value to show you as of now. I'm attempting to get published, though most of it is poetry and short stories. But with publishing I can't really just post whatever up on the internet as some publishers like the material exclusive. I also do essays from time to time, mainly boring philosophy and political stuff. :D

That's about it. If anyone is interested in having me do work for them feel free to contact me. Just be warned that for composing game music I'm still new and haven't got my foot in the door for this genre yet, but hopefully you think I'm talented enough. And hell, you don't have to pay me at all unless it's a lot of work. Or we could do a trade off for artistic or programming abilities. I'm always happy to have a nice sit down and chit chat. Your best way to reach me is my email oleumfold@gmail.com. I'll consider it business and oleum fold work more than likely if it's music related.

Sorry for the essay, but I hope you dig my work.

Oh and just to let you know my work is available for whatever program you're using. So ask your questions and I'll be looking for a program I can use to make some kick ass game music. I think though some of my synth work would be good for say a science fiction piece as I used to do some more ambient stuff and I think the styles I'm showing now could fit, maybe a little more spacey. I wish I had some ambient stuff to show you, maybe I'll get to work on some quick pieces if anyone's interested.

Twb6543

There's a good website with a helpful community, containing Image Editing programs and Music creation/editing programs all on the cloud (all on the internet)... Try joining FTMI (For The Musically Inclined) or Myna's Songbirds for help and to post your creations in that community...

Aviary.com or Register to quickly register.
If you put a million monkeys at a million keyboards, one of them will eventually write a Java program.
The rest of them will write Perl programs.

pokket

Oh, why thank you. I shall definitely check that out.

Twb6543

June 02, 2011, 05:24:45 am #3 Last Edit: June 02, 2011, 05:30:15 am by Twb6543
Their Roc Program recently (or at least since I logged back in a few weeks ago) got some 8Bit Game sounds even through that might not be really relevant to your music style they have a huge library of different sounds including Bass Drums, Harps, Hip-Hop style, Vocals, etc.

Currently includes 1164 sounds (97 sets of 12 sounds) in each Roc creation you can use 12 "Sounds"...
Try their Youtube Channel for tuts and info.
If you put a million monkeys at a million keyboards, one of them will eventually write a Java program.
The rest of them will write Perl programs.