Earthbound Battle System (not that hard)

Started by Andy, May 24, 2008, 01:23:57 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Andy

Hi, Chaos Project! I came here with my request because quite frankly I think Blizzard is the best freakin scripter ever to exist. I wish I could script like him  ;D

However, I can't, so I came here with a fairly simple request. It hopefully shouldn't be too hard (that's what she said.  ;))

I need an Earthbound Battle System, but not many people know what Earthbound is. It's a really cool game made by Nintendo. It works just like RPG Maker XP's default battle system, it just looks a bit different.

Here's what I need:

-Earthboundish layout (See picture above)
-"Skills" name changed to PSI, "Attack" renamed to Bash, and "Items" renamed to "Goods"
-Character Boxes that raise up a tad when it's that character's turn to attack.

I'm not great at explaining it, so here are some videos.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9WIFaZKXSE4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5MJyi-t9H4

The first block is the Bash block. you select it and then choose which character you want to bash. Same with PSI and Items.

I really hope this isn't too big a request, but I'm a terrible scripter, but someone of Blizzard's amazing skill could do it with ease (I think lol). Thanks for reading my request ^o^

-Andy

Starrodkirby86

May 24, 2008, 01:29:33 pm #1 Last Edit: May 24, 2008, 01:30:28 pm by Starrodkirby86
You're missing the main part of the Earthbound Battle system, especially if you're showing a Mother 3 thing.

I want this too.

Now we need this:
-Trippy background of drug-like intention
-A Rhythm battle part. Mother III takes care of this greatly. In fact, Itoi patented this. It's where you press A or something when attacking in rhythm to the music to get extra damage. Of course, this may not be possible.
-The rolling HP and PP Meter. This is a classic!
-Don't forget about "Enemy and its cohorts!" :D

That's what makes Earthbound so classical. :3 I second to this dearly, as being a huge fan of Earthbound despite not having an account on Starmen.

Blizzard probably won't have time to do any of the two CBS requests in the near future. He has plans.

What's osu!? It's a rhythm game. Thought I should have a signature with a working rank. ;P It's now clickable!
Still Aqua's biggest fan (Or am I?).

Andy

Oh my gosh, thank you!

I completely forgot to add those things XP

Well if there are any other scripters that would like to tackle this for us, we'd love it!  ;D

Blizzard

You can always use my Animated Battle Background add-on from Tons of Add-ons. If you want "Rhythm battle", you will either have to use Fourier transformation on the music files which is complicated to make on paper, not to talk on for a PC, and do a frequency analysis plus a rhythm analysis which you would have to implement then. But all of this work would go to vain anyway if you just change the from the RMXP screen to another and then back so the music would be ahead of the analyzed data. #_# It's not completely impossible, but very hard to make and even then most probably not flawless.

And yeah, I lack the time to work on this. ._. Somebody else might wanna try it though. Since this site was down/had problems until a few days ago, it will take some time before all the scripters that were active here come back. -_-
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

Andy

Ok  ;)

Thanks for that background script, though, Blizzard. That'll help with those cool backgrounds ^o^