Cybele Development Thread

Started by G_G, June 13, 2011, 04:53:01 am

Previous topic - Next topic

G_G

Ugh. I soiled my twitter account! Soiled it! D:

Anyways small update. While I am unable to work on the program right now I have been working on it, just haven't reported it. Almost have the Resource Uploader done. Which is awesome. But I've also created a concept and will implement it immediately. It regards updates.

I remember I eventually had updates Optional or Required but before all updates were automatic and required to run. I will keep it optional unless the version you are on is bugged in a bad way at all. Now you may or may not need to go through multiple updates depending on the version you are on. I'm setting it up so each version has to go through specific versions before reaching the latest. For example I wouldn't want 1.0 to update to 3.0 and skip 2.0. Why? Its most likely 2.0 will have new settings that it needs to apply before going to 3.0. This will avoid crashes and errors later on with the settings.

Another reason its doing this would be in an example where everyone is at 1.0. I release an update 1.1 that adds some new stuff/bug fixes. Now 1.1 has a huge bug. So in that case I'll first disallow the update from 1.0 to 1.1 so everyone who is still one 1.0 will be fine. I will then most likely force 1.1 users to downgrade depending on the bug itself. Now so people don't have to go to 1.1, I'll keep the block on it and simply force 1.0 users to go to 1.2. And people on 1.1 will be forced to go to 1.2. So you'll be able to go through versions without experiencing bugs a whole lot (hopefully) and updating will be a lot smoother.

All versions will be controlled through the database. It'll look something like this.

Old |New |Blocked |Force
1.01.1truefalse (this row would be an example of blocking 1.1 until 1.2 was released, the 1.1 in this row would then be changed to 1.2 when released.)
1.22.0falsetrue (forcing would take place here. This would most likely be forced due to changes in database etc...)
2.02.1falsefalse (not forced due to the update fixing minor GUI bugs)

So I'm hoping this prevents silly recursive update issues. The version will be stored in the program itself. No longer in a version.txt or the registry. Never will you need to run the program as administrator unless its in a secured location. Also say someone is still one 1.0. And 3.0 is released. Any required updates will be changed to forced to make sure it gets to 3.0. This is due to new settings or changes to the database and how it works.

Anyways just letting everyone know this isn't dead. I had to post the update concept so I wouldn't forget about it when I start working on it again.

Twb6543

August 16, 2011, 05:17:52 am #21 Last Edit: August 16, 2011, 06:51:21 am by Twb6543
Are you still looking for a Logo for this?

If you are then here is 1 which I made quickly:

Spoiler: ShowHide

Normal:

It's a .png as the .jpeg had text added due to the site hoster I used (I can always pm you a dropbox link)
Smaller Version:

Also I can see this being very useful to all users, definitely make it easy to find the resources needed for a game.
If you put a million monkeys at a million keyboards, one of them will eventually write a Java program.
The rest of them will write Perl programs.

G_G

I may or may not take it. Depends if anyone else would be willing to make one. Thanks Twb. :3

G_G

I'm about to disappoint a lot of you. I've decided to quit development on the program. Every time I wipe my HDD I have the most difficult time getting the project to work properly with the Ribbon library. Not only that but the program has compatibility issues with the libraries on anything lower then .NET 3.5.

So what does this mean for Cybele? Its not dead. I already planned on creating a web version and still do. I'm just dropping the program. In fact I might pick it up later on down the road. But the web version will be 10x better. Instant updates. Cross platform. And it'll probably a lot more secure. When I first made Cybele, this is what it should have been. Oh and one of the best things about the web version? I can code it from anywhere. Look forward to it. Cybele will be hosted in Decisive Media and will support more then just RPG Maker XP/VX. Probably the other RPG Makers, ARC of course, Game Maker, Stencyl just to name a few.

So be looking forward to the more friendly version of Cybele. :3

PhoenixFire

So that's why it suddenly appeared on my screen lolz.. I like the way it's integrated as a tab already, and, I think i know a way to make it -almost- a stand alone program. It will still open in the browser, and, require internet access, etc. I'lll work on that end of it, and, see what I can do with it...
Quote from: Subsonic_Noise on July 01, 2011, 02:42:19 amNext off, how to create a first person shooter using microsoft excel.

Quote from: Zeriab on September 09, 2011, 02:58:58 pm<Remember when computers had turbo buttons?

G_G

Theres a really good chance I'll make it standalone in the future. Its just become too much of a hassle to work with right now. I've actually already started development. Everyone can see the tab but only Admins can actually go to the page and view whats been done.

PhoenixFire

Ah, I see. Well, that's yet another reason to make meh an Adminitaur over there, so I can see what's going on with it, and, get proper links... not links to a page that cannot be viewed -_-
Quote from: Subsonic_Noise on July 01, 2011, 02:42:19 amNext off, how to create a first person shooter using microsoft excel.

Quote from: Zeriab on September 09, 2011, 02:58:58 pm<Remember when computers had turbo buttons?

G_G

Alright guys I have some neat stuff I hope you'll enjoy. I'm going to be using a couple of javascript libraries to improve Cybele even more.

First one is jQuery. I'll be using this to load PHP pages into divs without navigating to a different page. Hopefully this will make it less database intensive without having to load everything else on the page repeatedly. I'll also be using it for an auto refresh for recent resources. We'll have a list of recent resources on the right side, it'll display either 5 or 10. Using both of these functions you'll be able to navigate through Cybele and keep up to date on the latest stats on the fly without refreshing. How fucking awesome is that?

The second library is highslide. It creates pop up images that hover over the web page. Like Facebook's gallery popup thingy when you view someones photo category. This will work perfectly with Cybele's ability to allow you to upload multiple graphics per resource. I remember that this was the feature legacyblade wanted most.

So if guys like these suggestions lemme know or if you have any PLEASE lemme know!

Also I've decided! I will do the standalone program later on down the road. I see so many sites, especially RM ones, that have resource galleries, but I don't see any of them that have their own standalone program with a nice ass ribbon. By the way, Cybele won't be just for RPG Maker. I plan on setting up engines for ARC, Game Maker, and possibly more.

You can view progress here.
http://www.decisive-media.net/index.php?page=cybele

The page is public to anyone who wants to view it but I will make it private when I get to the uploading part.

G_G

Legal double post and I have news so!

QuoteI've been implementing jQuery everywhere on the page to avoid heavy navigation when performing simple tasks. And its practically everywhere! xD The statistics block is completely coded and functional and ready for resources to be uploaded. I also have the engines block on the left completely done. You can collapse/expand each engine, click each different resource and it'll load the respectable page. Also the page for resource types in engines are done as well. Starting on the upload form now so the page is private.

And since that post, I've done some more things. First of all the upload part is about 50% done. Still having some troubles with the uploader but its coming along. Second all links in Cybele were linked with "#". And there was no way to directly link to lets say RPGXP Animations. But I made a little snippet to pass all parameters from the URL to the cybele page so you can now link directly to any page cybele generates.

To explain some more.

Before:
http://decisive-media.net/index.php?page=cybele&engine=1

This would not take you to "engine 1" (RMXP)

After:
It now takes you to the RMXP page instead of being showed the homepage first.

And even though passing parameters through URLs isn't the most secure thing, Cybele does checks on everything. Basically it checks to see if everything exists, then it uses SMF to check to see if people are guests and whatnot.

Also I'd like to ask if you guys would like the option to make your resources private/public. Private resources don't show up in the public list or search. Its only accessible if someone has the URL. Only moderators can view private resources in a public list or search. And if someone adds a private resource to their favorites, only they can actually see the link in their favorites, no one else can. So when its private, its private.

And if you have any other suggestions tell me!

Apidcloud

August 24, 2011, 07:37:42 pm #29 Last Edit: August 24, 2011, 07:40:27 pm by Apidcloud
Quote from: game_guy on August 24, 2011, 07:25:14 pm
Legal double post and I have news so!

QuoteI've been implementing jQuery everywhere on the page to avoid heavy navigation when performing simple tasks. And its practically everywhere! xD The statistics block is completely coded and functional and ready for resources to be uploaded. I also have the engines block on the left completely done. You can collapse/expand each engine, click each different resource and it'll load the respectable page. Also the page for resource types in engines are done as well. Starting on the upload form now so the page is private.

And since that post, I've done some more things. First of all the upload part is about 50% done. Still having some troubles with the uploader but its coming along. Second all links in Cybele were linked with "#". And there was no way to directly link to lets say RPGXP Animations. But I made a little snippet to pass all parameters from the URL to the cybele page so you can now link directly to any page cybele generates.

To explain some more.

Before:
http://decisive-media.net/index.php?page=cybele&engine=1

This would not take you to "engine 1" (RMXP)

After:
It now takes you to the RMXP page instead of being showed the homepage first.

And even though passing parameters through URLs isn't the most secure thing, Cybele does checks on everything. Basically it checks to see if everything exists, then it uses SMF to check to see if people are guests and whatnot.

Also I'd like to ask if you guys would like the option to make your resources private/public. Private resources don't show up in the public list or search. Its only accessible if someone has the URL. Only moderators can view private resources in a public list or search. And if someone adds a private resource to their favorites, only they can actually see the link in their favorites, no one else can. So when its private, its private.

And if you have any other suggestions tell me!

Well, I agree on making that option :P Also, a friends one would be cool too. It would basically work just like in Facebook:
Private would work as you already said ยป only accessible by its url
Friends would only enable original host friends to view its gallery(resources)
Public would be for everyone that is registered on the website or even for guests.
Instead of wanting to be somebody else, rather become somebody else

"I will treasure the knowledge like a squirrel treasures acorns."

Gibbo Glast 2D Engine - The sky is no longer a limit

G_G

MOAR UPDATES! For those of you who want to see what the uploader will basically look like, go here. http://decisive-media.net/cybele/test/

The upload form is creeping towards completion. When list of engines and resources types come up, the fade in so smoothly it'll make your eyes orgasm.

@Apidcloud: Our forum has a buddy system, I'll just use that for the friend thing. If you have a private resource, anyone in your buddy list can see it under your profile.

Apidcloud

Ah, I thought you were going to make private only accessible by its link :P

Cool then =)
Instead of wanting to be somebody else, rather become somebody else

"I will treasure the knowledge like a squirrel treasures acorns."

Gibbo Glast 2D Engine - The sky is no longer a limit

G_G

I thought thats what you meant. :S

G_G

What to expect in the first public version. Well instead of having a private beta, I'll be heavily testing everything then I'll have an open beta. Hopefully I'll be able to get some bugs, ideas, suggestions, etc... This open beta will be the first public version of Cybele. This means not everything will be implemented and what you see may or may not be final. Things may be improved or taken out. So what can you expect in the first version? I'll tell you.

A live news feed. You'll be able to see live news on the home page along with statistics and links. The news will of course all be related to Cybele and whats going on with it. You'll be able to browse resources from the current engines listed. You'll be able to upload resources to the current listed engines. You'll be able to view resources and download the provided resources. And because I am awesome, hotlinking directly to images will be allowed. But if you do link we'd appreciate it if you'd link to the resource page and from there people can get the resources. We will have textboxes under the resource info containing links and the sorts. On the side there will be blocks that will be updated every 30 seconds while you're on the page bringing you live statistics without refreshing or navigating to a different page. Any link you click can be copied and pasted and shared and it will have the same effect as clicking on it. Clicking on a link on Cybele will not navigate to a different page but instead change the middle blocks page. Not only will this save loading time on your side, it will also relieve some stress off our database so its not constantly doing several queries on every single block.

What can you expect in later versions of Cybele? You'll be able to edit your resources. You'll be able to manage favorite resources, manage your own resources. You'll be able to mark resources as private so only people with the link can view. However, the resource isn't completely private and anyone with the time and will can find it. I'll also be adding several game creating engines as time goes by. Moderators will also be assigned. Moderators can edit any resource, see any resource in the search and categories even if marked Private. And has to confirm the removal of resources. Speaking of which, you will be able to delete your own resources, but you must have a valid reason for doing so and then it will go into the pending area where staff must confirm it. A comments system will be created as well. The comments and description of resources will both allow bbcode.

As you can see Cybele is going to be a pretty nifty program. And I still plan to make a standalone program for Windows users just for ease. Anyways I hope you guys are looking forward to this as much as I am.

G_G

Quick question. Anyone here think I should implement Twitter into the web version as well? Send a tweet every new resource. And so on and so fourth.

PhoenixFire

I think you should have it included, but, if it gets to be a problem with how many tweets people are getting, disable it.. If that happens, you could always have it send a tweet once a week, or maybe daily, simply stating how many resources there are ttoal, and, how many are new for that day/week...

G_G

It shouldn't be a problem. But yeah it'll be easy to disable. As for scheduled tasks, I really don't know how that'll work with PHP. I guess I'll look into it.

G_G

More updates! >:O The recent resources block has been updated immensely. Instead of fading out then fading in, it'll just pop in new resources at the top when there is one. I'm going to implement a similar structure into the Statistics block. Cybele's almost done. I just have to do the edit system and the profiles page. And a few aesthetic designs but its nearing completion.

PhoenixFire

It's looking very good. Can't wait to get the whole thing working with portable RMXP

G_G

Alright I am finally pushing an update. I want to start to code on this some more then finish up my Physics homework. All this homework is seriously stressing me out. I'm going to start the commenting system tonight. Should be pretty easy to do. I already have the tables setup and prepared for BBCode. I'm thinking about 500 characters per comment and about 15 comments per page. I'll be posting again when I have a good chunk done.