My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic - the RP

Started by WhiteRose, June 13, 2011, 10:09:42 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteRose

June 13, 2011, 10:09:42 pm Last Edit: June 14, 2011, 11:41:40 am by WhiteRose
Yes, really.

The first thing I want to say is a small disclaimer: I know that many people aren't into this type of thing. This is perfectly acceptable, however, I do ask that you leave the RP threads alone, and don't be rude to people who decide to play.

Before posting the information about this RP, I would just like to say that I fully intend to keep this RP running no matter what - RPs here lately have been having serious trouble getting off the ground, and so I'm going to set up rules not only for the players, but for myself. The terms:

• I promise to post once a day at the very least, regardless of my personal circumstances.
  • I will be beginning the game immediately, even without any players. As people sign up, they will be added to the game world. Due to the nature of the game, this should work out just fine.
  • In order to prevent the RP from being unable to continue, if it is necessary that a player take action and they are not available for quite some time - thus preventing other players from continuing - I will take control of their character for that sequence of events. I will pay very special attention to how everyone acts In order to maintain the feeling of player control, however, I will allow the player, upon their return, to revise the actions that I have taken to an extent. There will be limits on how much you may revise your actions in this case - any story events that have happened between my taking control of your character and your revision must remain largely unchanged. With that restriction, you are free to revise your actions as you see fit. (I know that some people may not like this rule - feel free to bring it up if it concerns you, and we can discuss it.)
  • Though this isn't directly related to keeping the RP running, I thought I'd list this here as well: I will plan to stick to the original canon as much as possible. However, due to the nature of RPs, I will have to take some creative liberties with regard to certain history, minor characters' personalities, and other aspects that can't be determined by current canon information.

Backstory

(For those familiar with the TV Series, this RP takes place immediately following the events of the first season. For those unfamiliar with the series, don't worry - knowledge of past plot events aren't necessary. However, I do recommend that you watch the show simply for the enjoyment of it.)

One thousand years ago, the land of Equestria was ruled by two sisters. The elder, Celestia, would raise the sun at dawn, and the younger, Luna, would raise the moon in the evening. As time passed, however, the younger sister began to become resentful - the ponies of Equestria played and worked during her sister's day, but during her night, they would only sleep. Slowly, the hatred built up inside of her, and eventually manifested itself by transforming her into the evil Nightmare Moon.

With her newfound power, she sought to overthrow her sister, and become the sole ruler of Equestria. In order to stop her, the elder sister utilized a long sealed power - the Elements of Harmony. Using the six elements, she defeated her sister and, with some regret, banished her to the moon for a thousand years. Now ruling alone, she took responsibility for both the moon and the sun, and maintained peace in Equestria for a thousand years.

However, even she knew that the seal on her sister's banishment wouldn't hold forever. As the thousand years drew to a close, she sent her prize student, Twilight Sparkle, to gather a group of ponies able to revive the power of the Elements of Harmony. As predicted, Nightmare Moon appeared once again with a vengeance, striking against her sister and sealing her away, trapping the world in eternal nigh. Along with her five other pony companions and her assistant Spike, Twilight managed to recover the Elements of Harmony and defeat Nightmare Moon, stripping away the hatred that had built up inside her and turning her once again into the princess Luna, and breaking the seal that trapped Celestia, allowing her to return.

Not long later, however, Celestia vanished without explanation. Luna, who had returned to her role of controlling the moon, contacted Twilight Sparkle and her friends, letting them know of the problem at hand. They agreed to search and find out what had become of Celestia, and left on their homes in the town of Ponyville. In the meantime, Luna took up responsibility for the raising of the sun as well as the moon. As news of the princess's disappearance spread, rumors began to grow. What possibly could have happened to her? Had Luna, her supposedly reformed sister, gotten rid of her, seeking to rule Equestria by herself?

Our story begins approximately a week after these events. There has been little word from Twilight and her friends, but despite this, things continue on as normal in the quiet town of Ponyville. There is quite a bit of excitement in the town at the moment, however - today marks the unveiling of the new residential area, meaning that many new guests are going to be moving into the small town. Though there were a few complaints about the new neighborhood, in general everyone is happy with the new development, and looks forward to meeting new residents and making new friends.

You are one of the new inhabitants of Ponyville. Will you make your mark on history, or live out your life quietly? It's all up to you.

Character Template

Name:
    Race: (Select one of the following:

• Earth Pony - a standard looking pony with no horn or wings. Easily the physically strongest and hardiest of the three races.

• Pegasus - a winged pony able to fly through the skies. Typically are light and nimble.

• Unicorn - a pony with a single horn on their head, allowing them to use magic. A unicorn's magical abilities are usually limited to his or her special talent, though there are some magical abilites, such as telekinesis, that are fairly standard among unicorns. )

Special Talent/Cutie Mark: (A pony's Cutie Mark is a representation of their special talent. A special talent isn't a super power; it's much more similar to a human talent - an area in which you excel. Note that if you are playing as a young character, you may not have your Cutie Mark yet, in which case it is not necessary to list it here.)

Appearance: (I recommend using the Pony Creator to create a pony as similar as possible to your character, and then either modifying the image or just describing any differences.)

(A few notes about appearance: in general, female ponies have eyelashes and more rounded noses. Male ponies have the more square noses and no eyelashes. You're free to create your character any way you would like, but I'm just letting you know the general conventions.)

Element: (Select which of the five Elements of Harmony is best reflected in your character. The five elements are Honesty, Kindness, Generosity, Loyalty, and Laughter. It is acceptable for multiple players to reflect the same Element.)

Stats: Distribute 10 points to the stats below. As you live your life in Ponyville, you may further develop these abilities. Pegasi are given an automatic four points to speed, Unicorns are given an automatic five points to magic, and Earth Ponies are given an automatic eight points to strength and hardiness.

• Strength:

• Hardiness:

• Speed:

• Charisma:

• Intelligence:

• Magic (unicorns only:)

Occupation (optional:)

Personality:

* Pony ages are a bit of a toss-up, as it is not agreed how their lifecycle relates to that of humans. The age you put here is the comparative age of your pony to that of a human. For example, maturity and the appearance of a Cutie Mark occurs between 8 - 12 years old, adulthood is reached 18 - 22 years old, etc.

I will be posting the first post of the RP in a few hours, regardless of whether anyone has signed up yet. Don't worry - you're free to sign up and join the game at any time.

Spaceman McConaughey

June 13, 2011, 11:41:43 pm #1 Last Edit: June 14, 2011, 11:43:34 am by WhiteRose
Name: Dark Swipe
Relative Age: 21
Race: Earth Pony

Special Talent/Cutie Mark:
The Cutie Mark is a sword. She is a masterful blacksmith, who specializes in blades.

Appearance:
Click Here: ShowHide

Element:
Laughter.

Stats:

Strength: 10
Hardiness: 9
Speed: 2
Charisma: 1
Intelligence: 4

Personality: Joyful, playful, and loves to joke around.

Taboo

June 14, 2011, 12:40:44 am #2 Last Edit: June 15, 2011, 10:52:38 pm by Taboo
Name: Storm Fall
Relative Age: 20
Race: Pegasus
Special Talent/Cutie Mark: Lightning bolts. Specializes in weather alteration. A good mediator between other ponies.
Appearance:
Spoiler: ShowHide

He's a larger pony, standing at least a head over most other ponies.
Element: Loyalty
Stats:

Strength: 2
Hardiness: 2
Speed: 4
Charisma: 4
Intelligence: 2

Personality: Fiercely loyal to his friends, generally serious, quickly frustrated.

WhiteRose

Quote from: Taboo on June 14, 2011, 12:40:44 am
Name: Lightning Strike
Relative Age: 16
Race: Unicorn
Special Talent/Cutie Mark: Lightning bolts. Specializes in weather magic. Can be quite uncontrollable.
Appearance: I'm not sure how to post a picture so. He's a larger pony, standing at least a head over most other ponies. His fur is midnight blue, which slowly gets lighter and turns white as it goes down his legs. His mane is short and spikey. It's a slightly lighter blue than his fur. His tail is the same color as his mane.
Element: Loyalty
Stats:

Hardiness: 1
Speed: 1
Charisma: 2
Intelligence: 2
Magic:3
Personality: Fiercely loyal to his friends, generally serious, quickly frustrated.

Looks good, except that weather is actually controlled by pegasus ponies. Maybe you should change to a pegasus instead?

@Dark Swipe: Looks good.

@Everyone: I'll put up the first post first thing in the morning.

Ryex

June 14, 2011, 02:07:35 am #4 Last Edit: June 14, 2011, 11:30:40 am by Ryex
Name: Dormant Blast
Relative Age: 22
Race: Unicorn

Special Talent/Cutie Mark:
The Cutie Mark is... well I not sure what you would call it. and exploding clock perhaps? His talents are telekinesis and short range teleportation (no more than 1/4 of a mile, can be uses repeatedly provided there is enough of a wait that he can get his bearings before using it again and using it more than 20 time in a day would leave him beyond exhausted) he has some small talent in using other small spells that he picks up from books here and there. He is also really good at fixing just about everything. Doors, sinks, just about any broken item from spoons to cameras, you name it and he can fix it.

Appearance:

Element:
Honesty.

Stats:

Hardiness: 2
Speed: 1
Charisma: 2
Intelligence: 3
Magic: 5

Personality: Blast is almost as random as Pinky but far more down to earth and is likely to be a source of surprising wisdom in serious conversation. That said, he loves to pop around town with his teleportation magic sometimes pulls a small prank with it's aid. But more often or not he has built some funky contraption and is testing it out.

((Rose I think there is a problem here. Pegasus and earth ponies get starting stats that are reasonable but shouldn't the Unicorns get some too? say 3 to magic and 2 to intelligence? or just 2 to both?  other wise Pegasus ponies get a 4 point lead and can fly and Earth ponies get a 16 point lead while unicorns get nothing))
I no longer keep up with posts in the forum very well. If you have a question or comment, about my work, or in general I welcome PM's. if you make a post in one of my threads and I don't reply with in a day or two feel free to PM me and point it out to me.<br /><br />DropBox, the best free file syncing service there is.<br />

WhiteRose

June 14, 2011, 11:11:27 am #5 Last Edit: June 14, 2011, 11:14:52 am by WhiteRose
Quote from: Ryex on June 14, 2011, 02:07:35 am
((Rose I think there is a problem here. Pegasus and earth ponies get starting stats that are reasonable but shouldn't the Unicorns get some too? say 3 to magic and 2 to intelligence? or just 2 to both?  other wise Pegasus ponies get a 4 point lead and can fly and Earth ponies get a 16 point lead while unicorns get nothing))

Having a bonus to magic wouldn't be logical, as none of the other races have magic anyway. Stats don't really mean anything except in comparison to other stats. Thus, if all unicorns started with a magic bonus, because all other unicorns would have the same magic bonus, it wouldn't even mean anything.

As for a bonus to intelligence, unicorns aren't naturally any more than any other race of pony.

Due to the extremely useful nature of magic, coupled with the fact that no bonuses would really make logical sense, I figured unicorns would be fine without any statistical bonuses. If, however, this turns out to create balance issues in the the game, I'd be more than happy to work things out.

As for you character, he looks great - there's nothing you need to change.

I'm going to go write the first post right now.

EDIT: After rethinking things a little, I do agree that unicorns might seem underpowered because they have a smaller number of actual stat points than the other races. Would it improve things if they all started with five points to magic? It wouldn't change the game at all, as stats are comparative, as I described above. However, it would make unicorn characters appear more powerful from a purely statistical vantage point.

Ryex

I no longer keep up with posts in the forum very well. If you have a question or comment, about my work, or in general I welcome PM's. if you make a post in one of my threads and I don't reply with in a day or two feel free to PM me and point it out to me.<br /><br />DropBox, the best free file syncing service there is.<br />

WhiteRose

Quote from: Ryex on June 14, 2011, 11:24:38 am
yes I think it would :P

Okay. I'll change the sign-up information and all previously created Unicorn characters accordingly.

Ryex

I rearranged my points a little bit. took three of magic and put them elsewhere. Also, I just realized Tugger didn't add his starting points to strength and hardiness

WhiteRose

Quote from: Ryex on June 14, 2011, 11:34:43 am
I rearranged my points a little bit. took three of magic and put them elsewhere. Also, I just realized Tugger didn't add his starting points to strength and hardiness

Looks good. As for Tugger's character, I'll go fix it for him.

Vell

WhiteRose

Quote from: UltaFlame on June 14, 2011, 11:50:30 am
Not sure if I want to join.

No one is forcing you. Join if you think you'd have fun playing. Don't join if you don't think you would enjoy it.

Ryex

so how exactly is this going to work? are you going to control the NPC's? is this basically going to be run like a DnD game?

WhiteRose

June 14, 2011, 01:42:38 pm #13 Last Edit: June 14, 2011, 02:57:43 pm by WhiteRose
Quote from: Ryex on June 14, 2011, 12:38:01 pm
so how exactly is this going to work? are you going to control the NPC's? is this basically going to be run like a DnD game?

Pretty much. There are quite a few other RPs that have been played on Chaos Project that you can look at if you need a reference on how to play. A good example would be Darkness Becomes. Gameplay will be similar to that.

EDIT: As people don't seem to be posting very quickly (which isn't a problem,) I'm going to create a character so that I can keep things moving when no one else has time to post.

Name: Sunny Radiance
Relative Age: 17
Race: Pegasus

Special Talent/Cutie Mark: Light placement through manipulation of clouds. She is very talented when it comes to placing clouds in the perfect position, allowing sun rays to shine through in a way that creates brilliant skyscapes. Her Cutie Mark is a cluster of sun rays.

Appearance:

Element: Kindness

Stats:
Strength: 1
Hardiness: 0
Speed: 6
Charisma: 4
Intelligence: 3

Occupation: Weather Control (holds a fairly mediocre position; weather control is a very common job among pegasi, and specific positions within the industry vary greatly.)

Personality: Generally bright and cheery, and very easy to get along with. However, she is quite lazy, and hates hard work, such to the chagrin of her supervisors, who often find her making pictures in the clouds or lazing about rather than doing her job.

Ryex

I know it's probably a long shot, but now that Rose is back anyone want to restart this? (Provided Rose both remembers the plot she was workign on and is willing to host again)

WhiteRose

Quote from: Ryex on July 23, 2013, 07:35:43 pm
I know it's probably a long shot, but now that Rose is back anyone want to restart this? (Provided Rose both remembers the plot she was workign on and is willing to host again)

If people are interested I would be happy to start it again. :)

Ryex

Well obviously I would love to continue it. but if everyone else has lost interest perhaps we could do something related 1 on 1 in PM or email?

Spaceman McConaughey

Yeah, I'm not really a brony anymore, so this isn't up my alley. :/

WhiteRose

Quote from: Ryex on July 28, 2013, 02:39:28 am
Well obviously I would love to continue it. but if everyone else has lost interest perhaps we could do something related 1 on 1 in PM or email?

Sure, that would be an option. Let's wait a little while to see if anyone else is interested, and if not, we'll get in touch over PM after a few days and figure something out. :)