Weird people

Started by Blizzard, June 18, 2011, 04:00:21 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Blizzard

Quote from: Taboo on June 19, 2011, 03:56:45 pm
lol@ the idea that Blizzard actually gets women.

Don't look me up on Facebook. I'd hate to crush your sense of reality.
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

winkio

who are you kidding Blizz, you'd love to do that.

Blizzard

You're so right. <3

Shattering realities is awesome. Kinda like the red pill. And once you do it, you can't go back to be blissfully ignorant.

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

winkio

unless you also take the blue pill with the red pill.  Also, I'm not sure, but I think the colors are backwards.

Blizzard

Damn, man! That's some crazy shit you got there!

EDIT: Seriously, what would that be like? You wake up from the Matrix, but you forget everything that happened? xD

winkio

you would both wake up from the matrix in the real world, and wake up in your bed like nothing had happened.  Then you would go about meeting morpheus and learning kung fu as well as going into work by day and hacking by night.

Either that, or it would cause a fatal error in the matrix and you would die.

Blizzard

Or it would cause a fatal error in the Matrix, everything would be over, everybody would wake up and they never had to shoot the second and the third movie.

Vell

Damn it, people!. >:/

Next time I see my friend I'll see if they have anything that's a bit more, like, analytical / scientific, rather than introductory.

legacyblade

To join the discussion a bit late and go back a bit, only some girls want the guy other guys have had. Other girls will never want to be with you if they've even seen you hold hands with another girl. Figuring out which a girl is early on is the key to wooing them (I'm christian, so I don't do one night stands or the like. Thus wooing instead of seducing :P). Though from the sound of it, Blizz's type likes that, so iz good.

Quote from: Blizzard on June 18, 2011, 04:19:15 pm
@Ulta: Actually I do notice a lot of similarities in behavior and I keep learning. It's just that my main focus is appliance of the kind of knowledge and skills in seduction rather than social interaction, but I do use social interactions to test hypotheses and find new patterns.

Lol, this sounds like I am a total professor-manipulative bastard during social interactions. It's more like "let's try this kind of reaction.", "I'll smile this time.", "I'll just stop talking now." and afterward I think "Ah, interesting reaction. So doing this generally yields these results.". I'm altering my own view of the world to understand it better and create a model in my head that responds to the actual system rather than being blissfully ignorant. I can't go back anymore.

I'm a sociopath, so I had to do that just to figure out how to interact with people. I used to be totally alone, have no friends, not know what to do with girls (even though a lot liked me due to my supposed mysterious silent aura, lolz). Now after reading lots of psychology books and studying reactions to the reactions that I make based on the emotion the person is feeling, I'm a leader, can get just about anyone to do anything I want, have lots of friends, and have gotten seventy something women to confess their love to me! And these are hot women too, lol. Sometimes I say "awe just screw it" when trying to woo a girl and see what the result of all the wrong choices are. Sometimes I discover a better way to get a certain personality type to fall for me by doing this.

PhoenixFire

Rather than quote entire posts, I'll simply state, I used to be the same way, having to observe what everyone else reacted with, etc. I now have the exact opposite type of life than I started with. So, I can honestly say I know what that's like.

Alos, in regards to the original topic post: LMAO
Quote from: Subsonic_Noise on July 01, 2011, 02:42:19 amNext off, how to create a first person shooter using microsoft excel.

Quote from: Zeriab on September 09, 2011, 02:58:58 pm<Remember when computers had turbo buttons?

The Niche

Well, it's getting to about the time I should post here. I'm not sociopathic and contrary to what a lot of people who don't like me would like to believe, I don't have asperger's or any other form of autism. I just don't like them.

So yeah, I really haven't been there. I've recognised patterns in people, but a lot of my development has come from puberty, blogs about getting girls and Blizzard. Also my friends.

>>Utterly irrelevant but mehmehmeh.
Level me down, I'm trying to become the anti-blizz!
Quote from: winkio on June 15, 2011, 07:30:23 pm
Ah, excellent.  You liked my amusing sideshow, yes?  I'm just a simple fool, my wit entertains the wise, and my wisdom fools the fools.

I'm like the bible, widely hated and beautifully quotable.

Dropbox is this way, not any other way!

winkio

Wait, this is interesting.  How many of you read books or articles in order to study practical social behaviors that apply to real life?  I've never heard of that before, but it is very cool.  Is there a standard that all these sorts of books use, or is each author presenting their own theories and content?

Vell

I've had classes for about five years on this, Wink. It's - actually, my entire life. I've always had someone professional trying to teach me how to fit in. >.> The only successful class began five years ago, though. I just finished, and I'm going to keep in touch with those people because yes. SO YEAH.

And I've read a number of books on how other autistic people fit in and such. That book I mentioned before is one. Another interesting read by a semi-well-known aspie is "Atypical" written by a guy named Jesse Saperstein. Give it a read if you're interested. Another one I remember from a while back is "Freaks, Geeks, and Asperger's Syndrome."

If you ever get a chance to see Temple Grandin speak, take it. Alternatively, read one of her books. She's quite a good story. The movie on her is interesting, too, and the actor surprisingly does well with showing how Temple talks. I got to see Temple speak, and it was an amazing thing.

winkio

Oh yeah, I remember hearing about that before.  But it sounds like there is a more broad audience than just autistic/asperger's people.  I mean, I've always known that there's people who write books on how to handle relationships, or self-help, or how to be professional in the workplace, etc.  Basic interactions, on the other hand, are much less restricted, and thus much more free flowing and complex.  I might find one of these books, just because I'm curious what they say.

Vell

Basic interaction? That's covered, extensively, in that book I mentioned before. Socially curious and curiously social, or reversed... I can't recall exactly.

Blizzard

June 20, 2011, 02:59:45 pm #35 Last Edit: June 20, 2011, 03:17:18 pm by Blizzard
Quote from: winkio on June 20, 2011, 01:33:42 pm
Wait, this is interesting.  How many of you read books or articles in order to study practical social behaviors that apply to real life?  I've never heard of that before, but it is very cool.  Is there a standard that all these sorts of books use, or is each author presenting their own theories and content?

Well, I've sure as hell read quite an amount on that kind of literature, even though most of it was mostly connected to the seduction aspect of social interactions. xD To my knowledge there are a few philosophies of which each works in its own way. Some of the concepts are common for all of them, though. Three of the intersecting concepts are body language, perceived value and congruency. Body language basically covers everything that you communicate on a non-verbal level (often including also the para-verbal aspect, the way words are spoken, but that varies from author to author) while perceived value and congruency often work together.

The idea is that with perceived value you establish an interaction where you try to either increase, decrease or equalize your value or somebody else's value and the rest of the group. A very good example in this area (which has nothing to do with seduction) is that you can get on your knees when you talk to a child because being so much taller and bigger gives you a lot of perceived value in the child's eyes. With this action you lower your own value in its eyes and match it to the child's value so the child is less afraid to talk to you or open up. Having a little bit more perceived value than the rest makes them "like you" while having a lot more value than them makes them usually feel inadequate. Imagine somebody starts chatting you up on the bus station. You don't want to talk to them so you try to avoid answering, break eye contact, etc. Your value is much higher than the value of the other person, because the other person wants to have a conversation with you and as the other person continues to insist on a conversation while you are backing off more and more, the value of the other person in your eyes drops further and further.
Often when you have a higher perceived value, you have the option to give people chances to increase their value in your eyes. e.g. You can ask a person a question and depending on your answer, you control the perceived value of the other person. If you ask what they do for a living and you answer disinterested, their value drops or stays the same while if you answer with something like "Really? Wow, that's great!", you give them validation and their value increases.
The funniest thing about perceived value is that it's literally just perceived value. If a homeless guy would take a shower, put on a suit and show up at a wedding, people will say that he looks good, because that is how he is perceived. That's actually what people are always worried about what others think of them. They are more concerned about perceived value than actual value. It's more important that they look good in front of others than becoming or being a good person. This is why it is so easy to lead an interaction by understanding and applying the concept of perceived value.

The concept of congruency is the level of match between your actions or your words (so to speak). If you say you are a very confident person while you break eye contact often and look down, you are incongruent. If you say you want a relationship and the first time you make out, you feel her up really a lot, you are being incongruent. This is different from dishonesty, because you can be honest and incongruent at the same time. You can be honest and still keep things to yourself while if you say something, you should stand behind your words.

Those are just a few concepts and I'm just scratching the surface. Most of the concepts applied can't work alone (except for maybe body language). They usually work together and have to be applied together.

EDIT: One of the concepts most interesting to me is how our brains are hardwired to respond to certain things in certain ways. But beyond that, it's out conscious choice to allow that response. e.g. If you see a dangerous animal and your brain perceives the danger, it will activate an adrenaline rush. Now what you actually do with the adrenaline affecting your judgment is a different story. This is the main difference between animals and us. Animals will always do what their emotions force them to do while a human has a choice. Even when somebody says that they had no choice, this is plain ignorance. For a conscious being there is always a choice. The only thing that is not an option are the consequences of the choice (which aren't not necessarily negative, they can be positive consequences).
This example is mainly outside of the context of social interaction, but it's a general concept that can be applied to social interaction as well.

Just to add something else to the soup: If determinism was true, the concept of choice would be impossible. That's why I believe there cannot be determinism on a local scale, though, I do believe in Chaos Theory which shows that determinism on a global scale might just be working out as a whole.

winkio

=/  I'm just going to have to read one of these books myself.  The way you just described it sounds a lot like theoretical economics, by which I'm saying that it looks good on paper, but is pretty much bullshit when applied to real life.  Socially curious and curiously social looks decent, I guess I'll just have to find some time to read it.

The Niche

I think I'll do that as well.

@Blizzard: Your ability to have an answer to everything makes your percieved value skyrocket. Hence I'm often scared to approach you with anything. Have I got it right?
Level me down, I'm trying to become the anti-blizz!
Quote from: winkio on June 15, 2011, 07:30:23 pm
Ah, excellent.  You liked my amusing sideshow, yes?  I'm just a simple fool, my wit entertains the wise, and my wisdom fools the fools.

I'm like the bible, widely hated and beautifully quotable.

Dropbox is this way, not any other way!

Blizzard

LOL! I might be knowledgeable in some areas, but I don't know batshit in others. Feel free to ask me anything you want. :P

@winkio: This kind of theory really is just a theory. Often situations can be interpreted from several aspects. I mean it's easy to really get into this stuff and become some sort of social-nerd, but once you figure it out it's simple to understand and apply. The thing is that it's not obvious and it's not clunky in parts. It's a dynamic flow and learning how to handle this is not something you can learn from a book. You have to get out there and do it over and over and over and over again. Depending on your social skills at the beginning it might take you 3 months or 3 years to learn it. Imagine literally one thousand short conversations applying these principles. After that you should be set more or less.

winkio

wait, I think you got something wrong Blizz.  I'm not looking to learn basics here, my social skills are far above average.  I'm just interested in hearing new theories or ideas on the subject, and more specifically, sophisticated ideas and theories.