Yeah, I wanna learn how to script-by pros who will teach nubs :|

Started by Chaze007, February 19, 2008, 10:17:09 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Chaze007

So I kinda wanna learn how to do simple scripting, like custom menus etc. catipillers and journal logs..stuff like that..any1 feel like helping someone who's never scripted before?
Always I Wanna Be With You! Make Believe With You!

Calintz

Nortos will probably give you some pointers here and there, as for learning to script...You're probably at ther wrong place. We don't have academies and stuff here, hint...hint...

I don't think anyone will go as far as to tutor anyone here, srry...

Fantasist

lol, just ask if you have a doubt and someone will try to help :)
Or just make a topic like 'Fallen Star's scripting doubts' or something like that.
Do you like ambient/electronic music? Then you should promote a talented artist! Help out here. (I'm serious. Just listen to his work at least!)

The best of freeware reviews: Gizmo's Freeware Reviews

winkio

Quoteany1 feel like helping someone who's never scripted before?

The fact that you have never scripted before means that you would need to be taught more than just the language and the system of rmxp, but you need to be taught the basics and syntax of coding in general.  I would suggest you learn a little bit of something basic like C before you start scripting.  If you don't know what C is, or where to go to learn it, use google.  The main things to get to know are variables, loops, functions, and syntax.  Then, you should have enough of a background to understand this awesome site (that Fantasist gave to me) http://www.phylomortis.com/html/rgss.html which teaches you about the scripting  system of rmxp.

Learning scripting is not something to be taken lightly.  You will not be able to make a journal script in your first week.
But if you really want to do it, go ahead.

Fantasist

Do you like ambient/electronic music? Then you should promote a talented artist! Help out here. (I'm serious. Just listen to his work at least!)

The best of freeware reviews: Gizmo's Freeware Reviews

Valcos

Lmao...that is so true!! :P You can find practically anything on google or wikipedia!! ;)
"We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars."
-Oscar De La Hoya

Fallen Angel X

Valcos

Yeh, that is a correct statement :P. Isn't it able to be editted by members or something like that?!? :-\
-Oscar De La Hoya

Calintz

I'm sure you could even find someone on Google thats willing to coat you down in a gallon of piss for a reasonable price, thats how easy these search engines are nowadays ;)

But I guess I may have overshot and maybe discouraged you...I was like you a while ago also. But I did not ask for help here, I first checked out the tutorials from various sites like RPGRevolution and such...They have nice Tuts...

Valcos

Quote from: Calintz16438 on February 20, 2008, 09:47:59 pm
I'm sure you could even find someone on Google thats willing to coat you down in a gallon of piss for a reasonable price

Lmao!?!?! ;D What the F?!? :P But he is right to everything in that sentence!!!
-Oscar De La Hoya

Chaze007

yea the onyl thing i seem to be good with is story editing and a little graphic.

Fallen Angel X

lol well read a couple tuts... May take some time but heck its helpful  ;D

Nortos

Juan

I guess you and me Nortos Both have something in common. Through I edited scripts and then read tuts.
Dropbox Who need luck when you can make your own.
3ds Friend code: ShowHide
 4468 1422  6617

winkio

yeah, C is not necessary.  But for most/some people, it is easier to use to learn the basics, because of the syntax. 

The only downside to it is the semicolons.

Calintz

I think I am going to try to learn C...

Anyway, I'm gonna go to Tech school for CPU Programming, so they'll teach me from the ground up.

Nortos

I'm hoping to get a bachelor of interactive entertainment with majors in level design there's a uni in my country but I'll have to go interstate

Valcos

---- "Kinda pointless but read it if you want (contains no useful info, life story kinda)"
     l                                                                                                           
    V                                                                                                         

To be honest :-\ I dont have to much motavation to start a career in  video games and such. Sure I always wanted to make a game but really I only got into this because my friend (F.A.X.) was telling me about this game he was "going to make" with his friend from his old school. Then I started to make a idea for a game with him. Then it when we got older I looked around the internet for programs so we can start making it. (believe it started with A.O.M. expassion). Then I found Rmxp and printed him out a tut. of like 60 pages on scripting! :o. And now he still isnt to fluent on actually scripting, hes good at understanding and reading it tho. :P
-Oscar De La Hoya

Fallen Angel X

February 22, 2008, 08:35:10 pm #18 Last Edit: February 23, 2008, 08:45:35 pm by Fallen Angel X
lol life story  ;D Yeah I still don't quite get scripting  :P But yeah try experimenting and reading tuts and stuff  :)

Chaze007