Twb6543

Class Game
Authors: Twb6543
Version: 1.2
Type: Scripting Tool and Game Utility
Key Term: Scripting Tool

Introduction

QuoteCreative Commons - Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported
( http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/3.0/ )

You are free:

to Share - to copy, distribute and transmit the work
to Remix - to adapt the work

Under the following conditions:

Attribution. You must attribute the work in the manner specified by the author or licensor (but not in any way that suggests that they endorse you or your use of the work).

Noncommercial. You may not use this work for commercial purposes.

Share alike. If you alter, transform, or build upon this work, you may distribute the resulting work only under the same or similar license to this one.

- For any reuse or distribution, you must make clear to others the license terms of this work. The best way to do this is with a link to this web page.

- Any of the above conditions can be waived if you get permission from the copyright holder.

- Nothing in this license impairs or restricts the authors moral rights.

This adds $game to the game and allows for registration and requirements for scripts...
This adds mostly the same features that RGSS had for registration and requires...

Features

• register(name,version)

• script?(name)

• version?(name,version,returnversion) // returnversion is 1 for return of version (return version number)

• deletekey(name)

• updateversion(name,version)

• clear

Screenshots

Screenshots N/A

Demo

No Demo just plugin and play

Script

Put this script above ALL custom scripts unless otherwise specified
//Download a .txt document of the script here //
SCRIPT: ShowHide

#===============================================================================
# Aliasing
#===============================================================================
# Alias the neccessary methods to change Game to $game // Is currently here do
# to strange errors if I place it anywhere else (might not happen to others)...
class Scene_Title < Scene_Base

alias :old_create_game_objects :create_game_objects
 def create_game_objects
   old_create_game_objects
   $game          = Game.new
 end

end

class Scene_File < Scene_Base

alias :old_write_save_data :write_save_data
 def write_save_data(file)
   old_write_save_data(file)
   Marshal.dump($game, file)
 end

alias :old_read_save_data :read_save_data
 def read_save_data(file)
   $game                = Marshal.load(file)
   old_read_save_data(file)
 end

end

# Class Game Ver 1.2
# by Twb6543
# Adds registeration and script? commands
# Mimics RmXp commands of register and requirements
# Adds has $Scripts with layout script => version ...
# Use $Game.command to carry out a command (replacing command with a command)

# Commands:
# - register(name,version)
# - script?(name)
# - version?(name,version,returnversion) // returnversion is 1 for return of
#                                           version (return version number)
# - deletekey(name)
# - updateversion(name,version)
# - clear

# - Versions are automatically use 1.0 for base version you may change this on
#   line 67 , 79, 107...

class Game

def initialize

$Scripts = {}
   register("Game",1.2)

end

def register(name,version=1.0)

$Scripts[name] = version

end

def script?(name)

return $Scripts.has_key?(name)

end

def version?(name=1,version=1.0,a=0)

if a == 1

return $Scripts[name]

else

if $Scripts[name] >= version

return true

else

return false

end

end

end

def deletekey(name)

$Scripts.delete(name)
   if script?("Game") != true
     register("Game",1.2)
   end

end

def updateversion(name,version=1.0)

$Scripts.delete(name)
   $Scripts[name] = version

end

def clear

$Scripts.clear
   $Scripts["Game"] = 1.2

end

end

Instructions

See script... (POST ABOVE ALL OTHER CUSTOM SCRIPTS)
Usage of commands

Register:
$game.register("Test",1.0)
// Registers the script

Script?:
if $game.script?("Test") == true
 $game_variables[1] = 1
end
// If script Test is registered then Game_Variables 1 is set to 1

Version?:
if $game.version?("Test",1.0,1) >= 1.0
 $game_variables[2] = 1
end
// If script version test is 1.0 or over then Game_Variables 2 is set to 1

if $game.version?("Test",1.0) == True OR if if $game.version?("Test",1.0,0) = True
 $game_variables[2] = 1
end
// If script version test is 1.0 or over then Game_Variables 2 is set to 1

DeleteKey:
$game.deletekey("Test")
//Will delete the info on script Test from $Scripts

UpdateVersion:
$game.updateversion("Test",1.1)
// Sets the version information about Test, in $Scripts, to 1.1

Clear:
$game.clear
//Clears $Scripts

Scripters
I recommend using a style like this to register your script in the initialize def...
if $Scripts["Game"] >= 1.2

$game.register("Script",Version)

else

print "Class Game is not found please install correctly Class Game 1.2"
 print "Visit http://forum.chaos-project.com/index.php/topic,9831";

end

Compatibility

Should be compatible with most scripts.

Credits and Thanks

• Twb6543

• Enterbrain - for original in RMXP

Author's Notes

Nothing really to add - Sorry for the section at the top but really it's the only thing that makes it work for my pc... You may have to use $SCRIPT = SCRIPT.new for the commands to register (You may have to run your script). To all scripters their is little comments but all commands should be fairly easy to understand.

Change Log

• Registered the script itself to correct version

• re-register if the key is deleted

• Registered the script itself

• Re-Register the script if $Scripts is cleared => Does not re-register if the key is deleted
If you put a million monkeys at a million keyboards, one of them will eventually write a Java program.
The rest of them will write Perl programs.

G_G

I placed your usage commands in the instructions where they go. If you would like to add updates either add a new header, or list the updates under the spoiler for your script.

Twb6543

Sorry, I just find it easier to edit if it is a different post... // Less Text to go through..

Version 1.1 will be up in a minute...
Change Log
- Registered the Script itself so it can be checked for see the scripters notice above.
- Re registers the script if cleared // Have not done delete key as there is no real point at the moment //
- Also changed thread title due to spelling error...
If you put a million monkeys at a million keyboards, one of them will eventually write a Java program.

G_G

I would like to point out that this is useless. You don't need an entire script to keep track of scripts you have. You just set a global variable to know whether a script is defined or not. Look at most of Blizzard's scripts, example Blizz-ABS. He has a variable $BlizzABS. Having a script to keep track of them all is a bit useless.

Blizzard

Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

Twb6543

SDK is like that as Blizzard pointed out, but the main purpose of this script was to replicate a few commands from XP that I thought were missing from VX, this being the require and register command...

G_G

The SDK still sucks and shouldn't be used. There is no need to have one script keep track of them all. And the way you're doing it, it looks like Game_Class gets saved. So it could save a script, later it would be removed, load up the save game and it'll act as if it still has it.

Twb6543

Practically yes, I still need to do some work on it, but the main purpose of it is just so the scripter can check if loads of different scripts are installed... lets say theirs a compatibility problem in one script with 5 overs rather than using global variables for all of the scripts all that's need is one script (if all scripts register). Currently I need to tweak it a bit but as a base you can use it to warn user of compatibility problems, say if the user has forgotten to install a script, and also do some simple functions easily (e.g. run a fake support script, if script a requires script b, but script c can do the same job as b then they can rewrite it / fake a script (I know this can also be done as a variable))

ForeverZer0

Yes, but the only way this would ever work is if every scripter either did this from the start, or went back and updated all their scripts.
This is really no different than a SDK log, which was really just used so people could feel cool putting a fancy header to their scripts. It is not hard to test if a script is present, even without using global variables or "registering" it. A simple "defined?(Some_Class)" works very well for the 3% of the time it is needed. For the most part, the global variables a scripter might add are usually used by their own other scripts, or smaller add-ons by others, in which case they already know what it is. 95% of scripts have no need to "register" as it is just a waste of memory, since there is really no need to check if is present or not. On top of that, the person who wrote the script can simply raise their own exception if a script is not found. I did just this in Zer0_CMS. It requires either ATES or CCTS, so made a simple if..end to make sure one of the two were there, and if not, tell the user that one of them has to be.
I am done scripting for RMXP. I will likely not offer support for even my own scripts anymore, but feel free to ask on the forum, there are plenty of other talented scripters that can help you.

Twb6543

sigh really I give up, I'll keep a back copy of the script, so can a mod just delete the thread seeing as no one really wants this...

InfinateX

This is a really good script! This can help me out a lot! Thanks for making it.
I made a signature!

Zeriab

This is different from the SDK log. (Checking for the existence of the SDK log and registering if it's there is really nothing more than a minor nuisance)
The fact that the registered scripts are saved into the save files means that you use that knowledge to do maintenance on saves made with older versions of scripts or saves that do not have a new script you added.
There are several scripts which renders old files unusable. You can use this script to help you load those saves.

*hugs*

Ryex

this is a very good point Zeriab. I never really considered that use.  from that perspective it's also good if your planing on making a game the supports modding, in such a case keeping track of scripts used in a save file would be endlessly helpful.
I no longer keep up with posts in the forum very well. If you have a question or comment, about my work, or in general I welcome PM's. if you make a post in one of my threads and I don't reply with in a day or two feel free to PM me and point it out to me.<br /><br />DropBox, the best free file syncing service there is.<br />

Twb6543

Finally someone actually got it, I actually realised this after every one said it was totally pointless, seeing as nobody really took interest in this much I decided not to post any updated information about it. If anybody wants to use any part of this feel free, I'm currently trying to write a version based off this for a game I'm making.

The version I'm now writing will hopefully be used for the patch system allowing previous saves to be updated to the new game version hopefully stopping the save from breaking.