[XP] The Dimension Adventures

Started by lonely_cubone, April 29, 2010, 10:36:33 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

lonely_cubone

April 29, 2010, 10:36:33 pm Last Edit: June 26, 2010, 05:26:38 pm by lonely_cubone

Demo: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=3NWBTMFC

Spoiler: ShowHide

- From the Library of Shades, in the Shade Dimension

The Dimension Adventures follows the story of a small creature named the Little Humphis, a little blue guy who's gone from the protector of his small group of animal friends to being lost in another dimension, unable to return. His homeworld, the Zany Dimension, is full of strange creatures and characters, such as the giant orange Grasshoopers, a man named Grabnam, and talking animals. In the hundred and thirty years or so that he's been alive, the Little Humphis has led a relatively peaceful life. Twenty years or so before, Grabnam showed up with his friends Leppa the frog, Somethinf the shapeshifting cork thing, and the Ugly Toad, which provided a bit of excitement, but really not much has happened in his life up until the start of this game.

The Little Humphis is off to give Grabnam a visit at his hut, when he notices a strange, hooded man standing by a tree. He tries to have a reasonable conversation with the man, but the man, who calls himself a Shade Walker, attacks him and pulls him into a dark, dingy prison in another dimension. The Little Humphis manages to escape from his cell, and after wading through some guards, finds a man named Valerai. Valerai uses mystical powers to attempt to stop the Little Humphis, but in the end he fails and gets locked up in one of his own jail cells.

Soon afterwards, the Little Humphis finds a room full of strange crystals. He soon discovers that they are called Gatestones, and each one can take the Little Humphis to another dimension. Unfortunately, all but one of them appear to be closed somehow, so he steps through the open one and into another world. This is the true start of a grand adventure, one which draws together the most unlikely beings from across the multiverse for the most important purpose imaginable.

The Little Humphis
Homeworld: Zany Dimension
Appearance: A tiny, teal-coloured, chibi humanoid. His entire body appears to be made of spheres of varying sizes.
Personality: He is very outgoing, quirky, and childlike. However, he can be serious when he needs to, and he'll never back down from a fight if there's a good reason to be fighting in the first place.
Weapon of Choice: A pickle
Details: The Little Humphis is the main character of The Dimension Adventures. His background was discussed above, but for the entire length of the game he wanders through different dimensions using the Gatestones in the Dark Dimension's (distinctly different from the Shade Dimension) Gatestone Hall. Throughout the game, his courage and natural charisma get him out of almost any problem. He always carries his pickle with him. The only time it leaves his hand is when he's throwing it at an enemy. Eventually, he has the ability to enhance the pickle's power, so it doesn't become obsolete as a weapon.

Shade Walker
Homeworld: Shade Dimension
Appearance: A man in a dark green cloak. He has a hood over his face, which is never seen (or is it?).
Personality: He is a very serious, reserved fellow, and he has absolutely no patience for the Little Humphis and his goofiness.
Weapon of Choice: Claw Knives
Details: The Shade Walker is a deadly foe and valuable ally. He will appear many times on the Little Humphis' journey. Everything he does has a purpose, and his cunning and agility are his greatest assets. He seems to have a very important mission, but nobody knows what it is except for him and whoever sent him on it.

Ben
Homeworld: Medieval Dimension
Appearance: An ordinary-looking human boy. He has scruffy reddish-brown hair and wears an ordinary beige tunic most of the time.
Personality: He's a friendly, happy boy who gets along with other people very well. At first he doesn't respond well to things he doesn't know, which turns out to be quite the problem.
Weapon of Choice: Budd (See Below)
Details: Ben's personality is in some ways quite similar's to the Little Humphis', so they naturally get along well, but Ben has a certain aversion to things that he can't explain logically. Unfortunately for him, being taken to another world by a little blue guy with a pickle falls into this category. Eventually he gets used to the chaos he's been drawn into, enough even to use a living being as a weapon, at which point he becomes a valuable ally.

Grabnam
Homeworld: Zany Dimension
Appearance: Grabnam is an older man with wild purple hair. He wears clothing with vibrant purple, blue, and green colours.
Personality: Since he met the Little Humphis, Grabnam has gone from a little eccentric to completely insane. His thoughts and actions cannot be predicted by anyone, including him. Still, he is friendly to the Little Humphis and his animal friends.
Weapon of Choice: Staves
Details: Around twenty years before the beginning of The Dimension Adventures, Grabnam left his home on a mission to save Zibblo from the evil Gogindoodle. On the way, he met many interesting people and creatures, including the Little Humphis. When he finally saved Zibblo, he decided to leave his boring house and build a hut in the Grasshooper Hills, where he lived until the beginning  of this game. He now lives with his animal friends and the Little Humphis, and although the Little Humphis left the Zany Dimension, he and Grabnam will be reunited before long...

Evil Man
Homeworld: Unknown
Appearance: A man with a red robe, a completely bald head, and when his eyes catch the light just right, they appear to be blood red.
Personality: He's ruthless, blunt, and appears to have no emotions at all.
Weapon of Choice: His mind
Details: The Evil Man is a dangerous and obviously evil character. Nobody is sure whether or not he truly is human, but he appears to be. He runs the dungeon in which the Little Humphis was held briefly, but his sphere of influence likely goes much further than that. He is able to destroy the body and soul of someone just by thinking it.

Valerai
Homeworld: Unknown
Appearance: A young man with jet black hair. He wears a primarily black suit with red trim.
Personality: Valerai doesn't appear very often, so his personality is a mystery at first.
Weapon of Choice: Mage Shield
Details: Valerai is one of the Evil Man's elite servants. He is the final obstacle that the Little Humphis has to get through before leaving the dungeon in the Dark Dimension. He uses magical powers to create a shield around himself before attacking the Little Humphis. Once the Little Humphis defeats him, he gets locked in a jail cell.

Budd
Homeworld: Mist Dimension
Appearance: A wisp of vapor that fluctuates between different pastel blues, pinks, and greens.
Personality: Budd never says anything that the player hears (or reads), so its personality cannot truly be deciphered. However, its actions indicate that it's co-operative and helpful most of the time, and its coloration changes with its mood.
Weapon of Choice: N/A
Details: Budd is a vaporous being from behind the barrier of Last Post, a city with only a glass wall between it and a strange mist. This mist is not all alive, but there are other mist creatures like Budd in it, and not many of them are as benevolent as Budd. Budd formed a strong bond with Ben when they first met, and they are capable of communicating to each other telepathically. Budd also serves Ben as a weapon, as it floats around and inside Ben's hands most of the time. It is capable of damaging anything it touches, but never does this to Ben. Although Budd is a weapon, not an Actor, it still "levels up" whenever Ben does, increasing its damage output and special abilities.

The Elementals
Homeworld: Various
Appearance: The Elementals each look completely different, but all of them are large and in some way embody the element that they represent.
Personality: Each Elemental has his or her own distinct personality, but they are all at best self-righteous and at worst vain and selfish.
Weapon of Choice: Most Elementals do not use weapons, but attack with various body parts and magical abilities.
Details: The six Elementals are beings that are thought to be direct extensions of the will of The Order. Each Elemental represents one of the six elements; Fire, Water, Earth, Wind, Light, and Darkness. The Elementals are said to be the greatest forces of good in the multiverse. However, something about the destruction of a world seems to have had a large effect on their actions.

Kymph
Homeworld: Abyss Dimension
Appearance: A small purple imp with huge yellow eyes. When she's flying, she hangs slightly at an angle.
Personality: She's very haughty and proud. Before she met the Little Humphis, she didn't believe that anyone her size could best her in battle.
Weapon of Choice: Darts
Details: Kymph is a small but ancient demon. She has powerful black magic abilities, and uses them in combination with her darts to become a deadly warrior. Contrary to what most people expect, the demons of the Abyss Dimension are fairly neutral to the Little Humphis' group. They don't care much about any other worlds, and the Little Humphis and his friends seem harmless enough. However, Kymph seems interested in them for some reason, and the Little Humphis' actions will determine whether she becomes friend or foe.

Mr. Ghostie
Homeworld: Ether Dimension
Appearance: A floating white blob that Ben thinks resembles a ghost, thus his nickname. He has a quirky smile on his face at all times, even when he's enraged or crying.
Personality: Mr. Ghostie is very friendly, and really finds the Shade Walker interesting, much to his frustration. Some people mistake his constant smile for constant happiness, but this is not true.
Weapon of Choice: Blobs of Ether
Details: Zyl-Kak-Viirln, more commonly referred to as Mr. Ghostie, is a creature born of raw ether. He is not completely unique, but not many of his kind exist. He floats freely all over the place. He enjoys long, pointless conversations with people he's never met before. He can absorb blobs of ether into himself, and then fire them out with incredible speed. He eventually joins the Little Humphis just because it seems like fun, but soon after discovers the seriousness of the situation he's entered into.

- 17 completely different dimensions to visit, such as the Mist Dimension, the Sky Dimension, and the Dead Dimension
- 6 playable characters (7 including Budd)
- Dynamic characters and lots of plot twists
- Massive, powerful bosses
- A "New Game +" with lots of sidequests and 4 new playable characters (who aren't mentioned above)
- A side-view battle script (can't find a name on it), although since discovering this site, I've considered using Blizz-ABS instead
- Quite a few features of Tons of Add-Ons
- A few other scripts, such as one of the many environment scripts, Save File System, and Custom Stat Growing System

The Little Humphis in the Grasshooper Hills

Fighting the Shade Walker

Dimensional Teleportation

Valerai and the Evil Man

In the Dark Dimension, Colour is Nonexistant

The Gatestone Hall

Whoever made the side-view battle script I used for the screenshots
http://fojitt.com/BlankScroll.gif - For the scroll picture in the Background Story
Blizzard, for Blizz-ABS and the Party Switcher
Shining Riku, for the Little Humphis sprite (and more soon to come)
Jap Dudes, Dubealex, and Pylomorphis, for Advanced Message Script v4
Nortos, for his CMS
SephirothSpawn, Clive and Cogwheel for the slanted HP/SP/XP bars
earthnite, for the windowskins
DeathLock, for his inside a tent tileset
Me, for everything else

The Niche

You sir, are insane. High five!

Your delivery needs some work though. It took me a lot of effort to read past the storyline, but after that it was cool.
Level me down, I'm trying to become the anti-blizz!
Quote from: winkio on June 15, 2011, 07:30:23 pm
Ah, excellent.  You liked my amusing sideshow, yes?  I'm just a simple fool, my wit entertains the wise, and my wisdom fools the fools.

I'm like the bible, widely hated and beautifully quotable.

Dropbox is this way, not any other way!

lonely_cubone

May 01, 2010, 11:10:37 pm #2 Last Edit: May 01, 2010, 11:36:57 pm by lonely_cubone
Thanks :haha:. I agree that the writing was a bit... confusing, so I'll try to make it easier to understand.

EDIT: Sorry, I forgot. *High fives*

Fantasist

Pretty slick, the story and the characters. Nice work *levels up*
Do you like ambient/electronic music? Then you should promote a talented artist! Help out here. (I'm serious. Just listen to his work at least!)

The best of freeware reviews: Gizmo's Freeware Reviews

lonely_cubone

Thanks Fantasist! Love your pic, by the way ;)

I rewrote the "Game Plot" section, and (hopefully) took out all the confusingness. Is it better now?

King_Ooga_TonTon

That's awesome. Can't wait to see how it turns out in the end!

lonely_cubone

Thanks! If you mean the plot, I do know how it's going to end, but if you mean the game as a whole, I know as much as you ;)

The Niche

You got it! Level up button, move closer!
Ah, excellent.  You liked my amusing sideshow, yes?  I'm just a simple fool, my wit entertains the wise, and my wisdom fools the fools.

lonely_cubone

Quote from: The Niche on May 06, 2010, 02:48:55 pm
You got it! Level up button, move closer!

Thanks, but what do you mean?  :O.o:

Also, at the mods, do you think, if I got a demo up, this could get moved to the main project section, or would I need more detail somewhere?

winkio

lonely_cubone

Okay, I'll get working on that :D. I'm assuming it's okay if I use RTP graphics, even though I won't be actually using some of them in the real game?

winkio

We don't have any rules against RTP graphics over here (although we do encourage people to go beyond the small limitations of them).  So yes, you are fine.

The Niche

I meant you got the plot section right.

lonely_cubone

I was referring to the "Level up button, move closer!" part :P

The Niche

I was hungover and lying on a table. Beside my laptop.

The Niche

Stranger things have happened! How's production going?

lonely_cubone

Not bad! Still looking for a spriter or two (shameless advertising: http://forum.chaos-project.com/index.php/topic,6260.0.html), but the rest is coming along nicely. I should have the demo up by the end of next week, if not earlier.

The Niche

Yeah, spriters are in serious demand. CURSE YOU BLIZZ!!!!!! Only joking, I love you god!

If you're reading this and you're a spriter, join my project! (Sorry Cube!)

Shining Riku

Hey, Cubone, I can help with spriting. I may not be the best, but I think that I can help out!

Umm....How about this? What would you like me to sprite? The Little Humphis? I can send you the image after i've finished. That way you can critique my work and see if you want me working for you or not.  :haha:

BTW, I LOVE the game idea!  :D I would love to see it finished!