Quantum Core CMS: Suggestions and criticism needed

Started by Fantasist, January 15, 2009, 12:38:36 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Fantasist

January 15, 2009, 12:38:36 pm Last Edit: January 15, 2009, 11:18:15 pm by Fantasist
Basically what the title says. Anything is appreciated, from graphics issues, layout issues, functionality, visibility, ease of use and of course, lag.

Things to remember while judging:
- That weird orb thing is the actual intended ring command, I'm using the command window temporarily.
- The graphics are still experimental, but those might be what i'll be using with some improvements. Mistakes like the green vertical stripes will be taken care of.
- The windowskin is pretty weird (with the metallic frame and the glass cursor...) sorry about that, I'll fix it asap.
- About the lag. Since this is still in development, the code is not optimized. If there isn't much lag, that's well and good. If it's too bad, then I'll have to look into it
- Thanks for taking the time, I appreciate it :)

Here's the encrypted demo (704 KB):

http://www.sendspace.com/file/3onz7z

And screenshots to spark interest:

Do you like ambient/electronic music? Then you should promote a talented artist! Help out here. (I'm serious. Just listen to his work at least!)

The best of freeware reviews: Gizmo's Freeware Reviews

King Munkey

Wow I like it alot. From what i could see from it I didn't find any kind of problems with it. Sometimes I think that the menu would load super quick and sometimes a little slower than what it should. I say maybe have either the regular animation for skills or maybe a specific skill so that it kinda seems to show that something happened. Or maybe just show a message. But this is because I think things look better that way and lets you know that actually happened. Then maybe perhaps a way to turn that off or on. But those are just my thoughts.

G_G Is my hero!
Munkey != monkey
Munkey > monkey

Blizzard

January 15, 2009, 02:45:47 pm #2 Last Edit: January 15, 2009, 02:48:08 pm by Blizzard
Nice work. You should maybe use a different kind of shading/blending on the edges. You should experiment with different types until you get a good effect. You might also want to make it go less into the center of the images.
Also, the menu window is slightly off to the left. o.o The last thing I noticed would be the irregular distribution of the green vertical stripes on the very left of the menu. You might wanna sync them with the status windows, it would improve the design.

Other than that very good work. :)
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

winkio

same thing with the green lines/stripes.  looks very nice and well put together. :)

Landith

This looks really amazing.
The only thing I would suggest (just an opinion) is the orb might look a little better if only the top left half is showing and as you scroll through the menu you see whats on there. I think that would look more professional but that's just an opinion of what I like.  :^_^':
But besides that it looks really great, I love the design. It all flows together.

Just wondering but could you use different windowskins to change the look or would you have to make your own pictures?

Starrodkirby86

Wow, this is really good script work. I expect no less coming from you, great Fantasist. A little stuff I may want to point out. Most of these have already been mentioned so I won't bother being redundant. I'm glad you're planning to set up the orb as a ring on the bottom right, as it will really fit the mood. Maybe you can have multiple options to change the coloring of the menu, so it can be in assortments of color? It'll look pretty that way. :P

I would feel you may need to have some textures or something. Like, there's a sci-fi feel to it, but not a real sci-fi feel...It's probably just a graphics nitpick. For something this high in skill, there should be graphics to accompany that, for example. But then again, this is used with the unfortunate default skin, so...I guess so, yeah.

Great job on this. :)

What's osu!? It's a rhythm game. Thought I should have a signature with a working rank. ;P It's now clickable!
Still Aqua's biggest fan (Or am I?).

Fantasist

Quote from: Kingmunkey on January 15, 2009, 02:14:36 pm
Wow I like it alot. From what i could see from it I didn't find any kind of problems with it. Sometimes I think that the menu would load super quick and sometimes a little slower than what it should. I say maybe have either the regular animation for skills or maybe a specific skill so that it kinda seems to show that something happened. Or maybe just show a message. But this is because I think things look better that way and lets you know that actually happened. Then maybe perhaps a way to turn that off or on. But those are just my thoughts.

Hm, I did it the way the DMS does it. In all the CMSes I've seen, the sound plays and that's it, right? Anyway, you gave me an awesome idea about the menu cursor, thanks :)

Quote from: Blizzard on January 15, 2009, 02:45:47 pm
Nice work. You should maybe use a different kind of shading/blending on the edges. You should experiment with different types until you get a good effect. You might also want to make it go less into the center of the images.
Also, the menu window is slightly off to the left. o.o The last thing I noticed would be the irregular distribution of the green vertical stripes on the very left of the menu. You might wanna sync them with the status windows, it would improve the design.

Other than that very good work. :)

Make it go less into the center of the images, I didn't get you there. The menu window slightly off to the left, you mean the actor status or the command?
I'll improve the graphics eventually, those are the first iteration of images. I made them look kind of good to keep myself motivated :D

Quote from: winkio on January 15, 2009, 05:35:13 pm
same thing with the green lines/stripes.  looks very nice and well put together. :)

Quote from: FTSI'll improve the graphics eventually, those are the first iteration of images. I made them look kind of good to keep myself motivated :D

Quote from: Landith on January 15, 2009, 06:26:29 pm
The only thing I would suggest (just an opinion) is the orb might look a little better if only the top left half is showing and as you scroll through the menu you see whats on there. I think that would look more professional but that's just an opinion of what I like.  :^_^':
But besides that it looks really great, I love the design. It all flows together.

Just wondering but could you use different windowskins to change the look or would you have to make your own pictures?

Good point, that leaves more space for other stuff. I wanted all the options to be visible, but I'll remember this, thanks :)

Well, at first, I meant it to have its own pictures but I think that windowskin on the command window looks pretty good. I don't know how it'll turn out. Since this is specific to my game, I'll have no problem, but if I release it (not very likely :P), I'll make it windowskin-friendly.

Quote from: Starrodkirby86 on January 15, 2009, 06:46:01 pm
Wow, this is really good script work. I expect no less coming from you, great Fantasist. A little stuff I may want to point out. Most of these have already been mentioned so I won't bother being redundant. I'm glad you're planning to set up the orb as a ring on the bottom right, as it will really fit the mood. Maybe you can have multiple options to change the coloring of the menu, so it can be in assortments of color? It'll look pretty that way. :P

I would feel you may need to have some textures or something. Like, there's a sci-fi feel to it, but not a real sci-fi feel...It's probably just a graphics nitpick. For something this high in skill, there should be graphics to accompany that, for example. But then again, this is used with the unfortunate default skin, so...I guess so, yeah.

Great job on this. :)

Change of hue, I'll remember that. And the graphics thing, well spotted Star :D I began with a glassy look but as I kept working on the graphics, I thought glass has become pretty much a cliche these days. I don't know, I might end up with glassy or metallic. Thanks :)
And yeah, the feel is supposed to be sci-fi.

Thanks guys :) But I'm kinda delighted that you don't have problems in usability or ease of use. Let's see how this'll turn out.
Do you like ambient/electronic music? Then you should promote a talented artist! Help out here. (I'm serious. Just listen to his work at least!)

computerwizoo7

those are pretty good!
what about the rest of the menu?

Starrodkirby86

Quote from: computerwizoo7 on January 15, 2009, 10:23:15 pm
those are pretty good!
what about the rest of the menu?
Download the demo he has if you want to see the menu in action and all of it. If you did, sorry. ;X

http://www.sendspace.com/file/3onz7z

Quote from: Fantasist on January 15, 2009, 10:10:01 pm
Change of hue, I'll remember that. And the graphics thing, well spotted Star :D I began with a glassy look but as I kept working on the graphics, I thought glass has become pretty much a cliche these days. I don't know, I might end up with glassy or metallic. Thanks :)
And yeah, the feel is supposed to be sci-fi.
You thought glass is cliche? Nothing graphics wise is cliche unless you barely copy anything from Mogs' Menu or you're using the default Windowskins. That's cliche. Making something look glassy or metallic, rough, rusty, old, whatever, as long as it's some graphical change, then it's acceptable...There's something about graphics that can keep coming over and over and is more acceptable than story elements...

What's osu!? It's a rhythm game. Thought I should have a signature with a working rank. ;P It's now clickable!

computerwizoo7

no i must not look at his code or i will end up copying it.

Starrodkirby86

Quote from: computerwizoo7 on January 15, 2009, 10:29:01 pm
It's encrypted. You can't look at his code if the project is encrypted unless you do illegal methods which we will not discuss.

Fantasist clearly didn't want anyone to steal the game's menu so he encrypted it only for people to just view the menu.

computerwizoo7

i hate that Chinese/Japanese bastard for cracking our game's encryption!  :evil:

Landith

Quote from: Landith on January 15, 2009, 06:26:29 pm

Good point, that leaves more space for other stuff. I wanted all the options to be visible, but I'll remember this, thanks :)

Well, at first, I meant it to have its own pictures but I think that windowskin on the command window looks pretty good. I don't know how it'll turn out. Since this is specific to my game, I'll have no problem, but if I release it (not very likely :P), I'll make it windowskin-friendly.

I was just wondering cause it would be cool to have an option menu with different versions of it.
But this is one of the best menu's I have seen, no lag that I can see which is really good for a 1-scene CMS.

This CMS makes me want to play your game lol  :)

Fantasist

@Star: Mog, I hear you :rofl:
I didn't mean cliche in RMXP terms, I'm talking about the internet. Tell me this, how many times have you NOT seen at least one glass effect for a whole day? Again, I lve glass but I thought I should more flexible on my tastes and this is a start ^.^

@Landith: Wow, that's nice to hear :D Reflective motivation, I make something, you see it and want to play my game, and I get inspired to finish it sooner and better. Thanks :)

Quote from: Starrodkirby86 on January 15, 2009, 10:31:31 pm
Quote from: computerwizoo7 on January 15, 2009, 10:29:01 pm
It's encrypted. You can't look at his code if the project is encrypted unless you do illegal methods which we will not discuss.

Fantasist clearly didn't want anyone to steal the game's menu so he encrypted it only for people to just view the menu.

Even if someone DOES take a look at the code, stealing it is pointless. It's very specific so it's easily recognizable, so it can't be used. And the code is super messy, I made things to just work for starters; there are many things which need caliberation.
Seriously, it's easier and smarter making your own version than trying to use this.

Aqua

Hehe I looked at it... and... fell in love <33333

Now I sooooo want moving windows (though I already planned it) for my CMS... :)
And now I know it shouldn't lag!!! :D

Great job!

Fantasist

Thanks Aqua :)
And wow, no lag... I'm surprised, and delighted of course. I thought lag WOULD be a problem.

Anyway, any suggestions on the orb and the surrounding picture? See those two boxes besides the orb? That's where the gold display would go. It's taking a lot of space all in all, there might be some way to use it.

Starrodkirby86

Maybe that box there can periodically show you some numerical statistics, such as Gold Count, Play Time, and etc.

It's hard to say verbally, but I can always try since I don't want to make an animated image.

Let's say the right, smaller box is with a gold icon, like a gold coin. The left box contains the number of gold you have. Then after a period of time, the boxes scroll up or down, like how some scoreboard does it, and then the right smaller box is replaced with...say, a clock. The left box is replaced with play time. You get what I am saying? :o

Fantasist

January 16, 2009, 12:14:45 am #17 Last Edit: January 16, 2009, 12:17:50 am by Fantasist
Wow, that's exactly what I had in mind! Great minds think alike, eh? :naughty:
Wouldn't that be a visibility/ease-of-use problem? Very little, but still, i'd avoid it if I can.

EDIT:

Check my post count folks, I've just gone super :naughty:

Starrodkirby86

Congratulations Fantasist. :) I remember the moment when I had 1337 posts...It was mainly hush hush but I think I got it during my Tears' breasts avatar (The melons).

It actually depends on how long each stat will last. I honestly don't see the problem with this, people can be hopefully very patient guys, and all you really need to do is think of the order the scrolling box should go in...

Gold should come first, so when you open the menu right off the bat, you'll see gold in the two boxes...Then Play Time or something, and then other items that are less important. It's all dependent on priority.

We'll just wait for the rest of the people to come in and give their talkings.

Blizzard

Make it go less into the center of the images, I didn't get you there. The menu window slightly off to the left, you mean the actor status or the command?
I'll improve the graphics eventually, those are the first iteration of images. I made them look kind of good to keep myself motivated :D

Command window. Also, the sphere/ball should be in green as the stripes. It would give a very sleek additional effect with a more techy design and more consistent color choice. Also, I can put you a sphere together with a crystallic blending effect (much like the rubies on the forum's theme or in your case the green rubies xD) and send it to you so you can use it. :)
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.