The Last: Assention of the Prophet

Started by Phasedscar, February 29, 2008, 05:02:16 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Phasedscar

February 29, 2008, 05:02:16 am Last Edit: August 01, 2008, 02:41:45 am by Phasedscar

The world of Indavin has been slowly corrupting as a new religion has started up.  Over the last 16 years they have been slowly gaining followers, and becoming stronger.  And soon, they will wage a war the will leave the world changed forever...

Characters:

Allynia Landarus:

Allynia was born in the mountain town of Elinrue.  She was the last born of her race, and that was 48 years ago.  They have been slowly dying as time has gone on while the rest of the world remains ignorant of their existence.  To try and maintain a safe place for them, they errected a barrier to the outer world, where time cannot ravage them anymore, but the barrier is starting to weaken...

Continued Introduction Story: Allynia: ShowHide

The Council at Elinrue asks Allynia to recharge the barrier pylons.  When she ventures out, she meets a malicious man named Alburne, who destroys the last pylon, the Heart of the Stone, and the barrier collapses.  In the struggle against Alburne, Allynia is knocked unconcious, where she has a dream about the Oracle of Stones.  When she returns to Elinrue and reports, she is told by her elders that she must seek out the Oracle.

Class:
Valkyrie

Allynia specializes in spears and javelins, as well as Frost, Soul, and Shadow magic.  The Valkyrie's abilities are combat oriented though do contain some defensive abilities as well.

Allynia's spells and abilities include:

• Frostbolt:
    Deals frost damage to any target in front of the player.

• Shatter:
    Instantly deals frost damage to everything in an area.

• Soulfrost:
    Afflicts the target with the Frostbit condition, causing damage over time based on Concentration.

Screen Shot of Elinrue: ShowHide

Duran Edison:

Duran grew up in the desert wastes to the west of World Scar.  Many consider it a forsaken place, and lately so does Duran.  As a former Lawman, he has gained respect, and just in time.  His wife and daughter have grown very will, and he grows desperate to try and find a way to save them.  In search of medicines, he finds the town of Dustwind...

Continued Introduction Story: Duran: ShowHide
The physician at Dustwind cannot help Duran, but mentioned that gypsies have been through the area lately and have medicines that are usually not available.  In search of the gypsies, Duran crosses a dried canyon only to find that they also lack what he seeks.  But the gypsies tell Duran a tale about a magical woman who lives in the Arlain mountains, far to the east.  In his desperate search Duran sets out to find the Oracle of Stones.

Class:
Gunslinger

Duran knows how to use firearms.  It indeed is nearly a requirement out in the wastes, and so he's become exceedingly proficient at it.  But he has abilities that are hard for him to comprehend, and the show in the use of Fire and Earth magic.  Because he is afraid of these powers he tends to refrain from using them, but he's experienced in their deadly consiquences.

Duran's abilities include:

• Firebolt:
    Deals direct damage to a target, causing fire damage and a inflicts Burns.

• Flamewave:
    Deals fire damage to all nearby targets

• Flameheart:
    Causes Duran's FP to increase at a much faster rate for a short time, but inflicts Burns.

• Flamelash:
    Deals fire damage to any nearby and ajacent targets and inflicts Burns.

• Stone:
    Summons a small stone that inflicts minor earth damage and stuns the target for a short time.

Hammad Ab'har:

Born in the swamped areas on the South Coast, Hammad has always been used to the water and storms.  About 17 years ago when he and his father were transporting valuble cargo to the nearby town of Bellflower Hovel, they were ambushed, and the artifact was stolen.  In the event his father was wounded.  In his rage he decides to traverse into the untamed swamp in search of his of the thief...

Continued Introduction Story: Hammad: ShowHide

17 years had passed since the swamp and Hammad was still chasing the thief.  Now he has a name, Alburne.  The last known whereabouts of Alburne was heading into the Arlaine mountains, close to the World's Scar.  There he meets up with Allynia, Duran, and Ellie, and heads with them to find the Oracle, where appearently Alburne was last seen heading to.

Class:
Templar Knight

Hammad has always had a strict and religious life.  Though many outsiders do not like Templar Knights, it's mainly through misunderstanding.  They fight for truth and justice, and are considered the upkeepers of peace in the swamps.  The pray directly the Indaleace, and draw their power apon them.  Hammad was different however, and his power was more literal instead of metaphorical, and so he controls the powers of Light.

Hammad's Abilities Include:

• Healing Light:
    Heals a person at a prodigious rate.

• Frostward:
    Increases a person's resistance to Frost Magic.

• Fireward:
    Increases a person's resistance to Fire Magic.

• Strength of Mind:
    Increases FP regeneration on one person.

• Strength of Body:
    Increases a person's Strength and Physical Defense.

Ellie Làsule:

Ellie was always the top of her class in the capital city of Car'daine.  And often looked up to by her piers.  But as graduation neared and it was time to leave, something was troubling her.  More and more often she has visions of a man with a scarred hand holding a spear.  Though normally a fun and enthusiastic person, these visions disturbed her.  Little did she know that her final test at the Car'daine Abby would lead to...

Continued Introduction Story:  Ellie: ShowHide
During her trial for graduation at the Car'daine Abby, she is struck by her vision again.  Only this time it's stronger than ever.  She invisions an army of hundreds of thousands on the march.  They were misshapen and grotesque, but still vaguely human.  She sees a mountain far to the west being destroyed as the man with the scarred hand raises a spear.

Ellie knows what needs to be done, and these were no longer mere flights of fancy and an oddity in her character.  She must travel to the Arlaine mountains and speak with the Oracle.  Her vision may hold the key to saving an entire race's survival.

Class:
Seer

The Seer specializes in a combination of support and offensive magic.  The source of their power is the draw from the Indaleace themselves, and so the magic of a Seer is stronger than the average.  Though many people in the world of Indavin cannot use magic, the people of Car'daine have not lost all of their power.  Strangely enough, Seers are common there, and so they have the Car'daine Abby to teach young people in the use of these powers.

Ellie's Abilities Include:

• Empowered Staff:
    Increases FP regeneration for the entire party for a short time.

• Seed of Life:
    Heals the entire party and cleanses Venom.

• Tornado:
    Deals wind damage to everything in front of the caster.

• Lightning:
    Instantly damages one target and has a change to induce Zap.

Taldan Borus Alburne:

Little is known about Alburne, other than his rise to power 16 years ago.  The leader of the New Faith, he is often seen wielding a spear.  On occasion he has gone into seclusion and his Vice Chaplin takes charge of the Faith.  Little is known about what he does in these moments of absence...

His rise to power was swift, some believe he brainwashed his follows.  Others think it's his power of persuasion.  Either way his following has quickly grown powerful.  As the New Faith grows, the stability of the surrounding reagons is weakening.  As countries try and push the new Order from their lands, an undoubtable war will insue...

Features:

• Fast action paced combat brought to you by Blizz-ABS.

• Unique and totally custom 2D graphics.

• Completely unique story that doesn't involve the end of the world!

• Expansive world full of many side quests that can greatly increase the strength of your party.

• Custom spells and abilities that give each character a unique feeling.

• Large inventory full of many unique weapons and armors all with their own icons.

Monsters:

Warg

All about the Warg: ShowHide

Type: Beast
Location:  Arlain Mountains, Gaul Desert, Transcendence, and The Dead Wastes.
Strengths:  Massive amounts of health make them tough to kill, often outlasting their pray in combat instead of overpowering them.  Some carry viruses and diseases that make them particularly dangerous.
Weakness: It has been refuted that Wargs are weak to fire, though stories of Desert Wargs contradict the notion.  In the end not much is known about their weaknesses.
Information: 
  Wargs are corrupted wolves and foxes that live off death.  They don't bother with active hunting for food, but instead do it for sport, often leaving the carcases of their recent pray to rot.  More often then not they're caught eating carrion.

Some Wargs are reputed to have nearly unnatural stamina.  Though not physically strong, their very endurance makes them extremely dangerous.  Some stories mention that the more ancient of the Wargs often have poisonous bites from the years of feeding on the dead.

Elk

All about the Elk: ShowHide

Type: Beast
Location: Arlain Mountains, Arlain Forest, Keeper's Grove, Assendence Glacier, and The Highlands.
Strengths: Elks are docile creatures, however when intimidated or caught in the Running Season, they become very hostile.  Often utilizing the massive antlers that crown their head.  Some even say that the Elks are linked with the Indaleace of life, O'lisha, though the impact of said link are truly unknown.
Weaknesses: Elks are a tad ungainly, and often are slow to recover from their most powerful abilities.  This means if you can weather the onslaught, the fight is already won.  Caution and smart planning tends to lead a critical element against Elks.  Also their docile nature often lets their enemies gain the advantage.
Information:
  The Elks are an ancient race of deer from the creation of the world.  And are considered the favored animal of the Goddess O'lisha.  This leads some to believe that O'lisha herself takes the form of a massive gilded Elk, though no real evidence has come to suggest this.  People often leave them alone, due to their massive size.
Spoiler: ShowHide
My own game project & My resource workshop! (respectively)
http://forum.chaos-project.com/index.php?topic=608.0 http://forum.chaos-project.com/index.php?topic=682.0

What that is? Affection area for flails. - Blizz-ABS, the ultimate ABS

The pictures in your signature may altogether be no more than 200kB. The height must not exceed 200 px and the width must not exceed 800 px. Altogether they may take up an area of 160000 px2. Every signature not matching this criteria is a subject of the moderator team to remove and leave this rule as message in your signature.

nerissya

Click here to feed me a Rare Candy!

I demand you to level up my pokemon. :<

Phasedscar

Thank you, I still have some cleaning up to do, especially on the cat tails, but so far it's looking good.  Soon I'll have a few more plants, a couple of bridges, and cliffs ready to use.

Photoshop is excellent for making the shadow effects that I used in everything in here, though it doesn't quite show up too well in these screenshots.  When I get some more completed I'll throw up another screenshot showing the shadow effects.
http://forum.chaos-project.com/index.php?topic=608.0 http://forum.chaos-project.com/index.php?topic=682.0

The pictures in your signature may altogether be no more than 200kB. The height must not exceed 200 px and the width must not exceed 800 px. Altogether they may take up an area of 160000 px2. Every signature not matching this criteria is a subject of the moderator team to remove and leave this rule as message in your signature.

Fantasist

Interesting, and the screens look good, especially with those trees and plants in the tileset. Do you think I can have that (pretty please) ^_^
Do you like ambient/electronic music? Then you should promote a talented artist! Help out here. (I'm serious. Just listen to his work at least!)

The best of freeware reviews: Gizmo's Freeware Reviews

Phasedscar

March 04, 2008, 07:26:41 am #4 Last Edit: March 04, 2008, 07:46:20 am by Phasedscar
Sure thing, I'm still quite a ways from finishing my tileset however and it's still very limited in what you can do with it.  But when I'm finished with it I'll bundle it up and post it on here  :D

Oh, I got a partial of my map done, enough to give you an idea of the "layout of the land" sort to speak hehe.

Fantasist

I like your avtar btw ^_^
And good luck with the game :)
Do you like ambient/electronic music? Then you should promote a talented artist! Help out here. (I'm serious. Just listen to his work at least!)

Phasedscar

March 04, 2008, 08:07:19 am #6 Last Edit: March 04, 2008, 08:54:20 am by Phasedscar
Thanks!

BTW I added a resource section to the bottom of my game's main post.  All I ask for is credit since it's a completely original creation by me.

Oh, and I use a mixture of Gale and Photoshop to get some pretty specific effects to happen, however it often leaves white dots in parts of the unfinished tileset.  It takes a bit of time to clean everything up and get it looking nice.

I will be adding in new items, doodads and various other things to polish the tileset as I go. In other words, I'll update it every so often when I finish parts and have it nicely polished up.

Fantasist

How nice! Thanks a bunch, I'll add these to my resource dump with the postfix '_Phasedscar' (like I always do) :D
Oh, and power up for the nice graphics :)

Nortos

Nice job on the tilesets, you might want to get different chests though they look too square for your tileset

Phasedscar

Eventually I will, right now they're just placeholders until I can upgrade them later.

I also plan a pretty ambitious plan to make "swinging bridges" that sway when you step on them, but that's a LONG way off yet.  Right now I'm just trying to get enough of the tileset completed so I can finish the tutorial and maybe about 20 minutes of the actual game so I can have an alpha build demo available.

nerissya

Quote from: Phasedscar on March 05, 2008, 01:24:12 am
Eventually I will, right now they're just placeholders until I can upgrade them later.

I also plan a pretty ambitious plan to make "swinging bridges" that sway when you step on them, but that's a LONG way off yet.  Right now I'm just trying to get enough of the tileset completed so I can finish the tutorial and maybe about 20 minutes of the actual game so I can have an alpha build demo available.

i agree on the chest thing, and i like your idea with the bridges...

keep up. =)

Click here to feed me a Rare Candy!

I demand you to level up my pokemon. :<

Sally

you should do a total revamp of most tilesets :P

Phasedscar

I actually had a plan to do that, though quite a bit more shaded and a LOT more doodads.  8)

Phasedscar

Updated some sections and added in some more backround information :)

darklight

I like the hybrid classes idea a lot. If I can help it I'd rather not have a pure offensive or pure healer when I play - I always try and balance everyone in my teams out.

The demo release has been pushed back. In the meantime, you can check out my resources thread.
I'm also working on the project site - stay tuned for a launch very soon!

Phasedscar

March 16, 2008, 04:28:28 am #15 Last Edit: March 16, 2008, 04:31:33 am by Phasedscar
Yeah, I'm trying to make all the classes play different.  My fighter classes just wont rely on magical abilities, but instead they have a slow SP regeneration, offensive based buffs (or debuffs) and steal or recharge SP based on the class.

The casters are similar but in an opposite way, they regen a lot of SP but have direct spells or AoE spells.

The main idea is to basically make the skills used on each class have it's own twist to it.  For example the Assassin class is going to have a large number of debuffs to cause damage over time and lower a monster's damage, but they're physically weak compared to the Gladiator, which will have +50 to +100 strength and dexterity buffs, as well as abilities that swipe and hurt EVERYTHING around them.  Assassins will also be the only fighter class to have a high amount of SP regeneration since their gear is optimized for a lot of consitution (the stat that determines the amount of SP regen), but in exchange for their massive single target damage they will have a low amount of armor.

My next update will give class specifics and functionality.  I'm still working on a lot of the database and I haven't come close to balancing these classes yet, but I will in a week or two.

Phasedscar

Ok, I just updated a few things, gave you more backround info, and I'm hoping in a few days to have a working demo for all of you to enjoy  ;D

Anyway, I'm going back to work on it, I got a long way to go yet.

Phasedscar

Ok, it's been a LONG time since I posted on here.  Now that I have the details finally fleshed out, I'm releasing them!

I removed the current Screen Shots since I haven't finished the tilesets yet, however I will get one out as soon as possible.

Lost_Hope

dude this sounds like it will be good

I like the title! The Last. that is an original name dude and it makes the game sound mysterious and unique! Don't nake me mad dude! I want this game to be sweet!

Phasedscar

Working on it.  Still trying to flesh out some of the storyline details but for the most part of have the overarching story in place.  The only thing that will really take long from this point is making all the graphics.  And speaking of I just edited the post to have the first REAL screenshot of Elinrue.  It's really coming together nicely now that I have the style and technique down, and I'll be adding in more soon, hopefully NPC's to start livening up the place.