Enemies chasing you even when you exit maps

Started by Vexus, August 02, 2013, 05:46:27 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Vexus

Hi. as some should know I'm doing a game named Alive and now that I'm doing chapter 2 of the game the infected will start showing.

Now, I haven't started exactly placing the infected on the maps (I test them on test maps at the moment) but this thing has been bugging me for a lot of time so here I am making a thread about it. I'd like that when you are being chased by the infected or even 1 only and you go inside a house or new map that they would keep on following you IF they were close to you when you teleported.

I'm pretty sure this involves switches and such but I'd like to know how to do this in conclusion if they were near you when you teleported or not.

I'm using blizz abs if that is needed to be known.

Thanks
Current Project/s:

KK20

Clearly, you will need to generate new events for every zombie "nearby" before going into the house, something Blizz-ABS already provides. You would also need to define what counts as a "nearby" enemy and be able to store those events somewhere in memory to be called back for the previous reason. Modifying the 'transfer_player' method may be best for this case.

In other words, hug your lead programmer.

Other Projects
RPG Maker XP Ace  Upgrade RMXP to RMVXA performance!
XPA Tilemap  Tilemap rewrite with many features, including custom resolution!

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: 8310-1917-5318
Discord: KK20 Tyler#8901

Join the CP Discord Server!

Vexus

I'm solo on the project sadly so no programmers that can help me that's why I thought on trying to do it event wise.
Current Project/s:

Zexion

I think I know a way to do it by events, but it's so complicated and if there are more than 5 enemies is extremely inefficient.

Vexus

I could try using this: http://forum.chaos-project.com/index.php/topic,9516.0.html

Tough I think it might lag with it. (Will check it out on a test map if it gives an error I'll use variables for the coordination of the enemy with the player or transfer map event)
Current Project/s:

Zexion

Yeah, was gonna recommend that. It's what backs my battle system lol

Vexus

Ok took long to try it out but it works with that script!!!

Now this is a small issue probably easily solved but wouldn't mind some quick help.

------------

I made it so when you touch the transfer event (Player touch) it sets a conditional branch of if event x is equal to range y turn switch on and transfer player else transfer player.

So far so good the small issue is on the 2nd map.

How can I make the event wait x frames before showing so I have enough time to move before it hits you?
Current Project/s:

Zexion

Right after transferring the event turn on self switch A and set it to parallel process. Put a wait for x frames and turn off self switch.

Vexus

August 09, 2013, 07:42:08 am #8 Last Edit: August 09, 2013, 07:49:12 am by Vexus
At the moment I was trying with a parallel process event with the switch ticked and the event placed with the switch ticked.

Tried set move route opacity 0, wait 100 and then opacity 255 then erase event.

But the event starts moving while being invisible I don't think the wait is stopping him at all.

[Edit]

I mean I could easily make it work using 2 switches instead of one but was trying to not make it cramped as there won't be 1 zombie on the map :/

Having to use 2 per zombie would be a lot of work.
Current Project/s:

Zexion

Damn, my post didn't go through my bad.
1. Right after transfering the event, turn on self switch A.
2. Make a new page, parallel process, no graphic, condition: Self Switch A
3. Put a wait for X frames.
4. Turn of self switch A

Vexus

Thanks but I don't really like self switches considering I'll have to make multiple events per zombie there wouldn't be enough for all.

I'll be using 2 switches per zombie there's no other solution I can think of.

(Tough now I having some weird error from proximity script will need to check that out to see if more then 1 zombie following to the next map works or not)

Thanks again.
Current Project/s:

Zexion

Self switches are per event, that means each event has four switches, A B C D. :B

Source(s):
Event pro lolol

Vexus

Oh really? but do they persist if I exit a map and re enter? Will the zombie remain in the map?
Current Project/s:

Zexion

No self switches reset on every map load. That's the part you're going to have to figure out :b
Can you maybe provide a small demo of how your doing it?

Vexus

No need of a demo it's pretty simple.

In transfer event it's like this:

And in the next map I have a parallel process event per zombie with for example zombie test ticked ON and 40 wait frames then turn another switch and make a new page in the event with the new switch ticked ON and leaving it empty.

This new switch is then used as a mark for the zombie event to show on the map and continue the action.
Current Project/s:

Zexion

I don't get how that would even work o.o if it's set to event touch then the conditional branches wouldn't even activate until the event touches the player.

Vexus

Player touch not event touch.

The check happens when you step on the event to transfer you in the new map.
Current Project/s:

Zexion

August 09, 2013, 09:52:33 am #17 Last Edit: August 09, 2013, 10:07:52 am by Zexion
Ohh, alright that makes more sense. Then here's a better way to do it.
Spoiler: ShowHide

On the next map you can set up however many zombie events like so: (picture is a gif so wait a bit for it to change)
Spoiler: ShowHide

Basically set up however many events on the next map with those conditions and raise the variable by one for each one.

Edit: Also make sure to check "Handle when conditions don't apply" otherwise you will get errors or it won't work. Conditional branches need to be inside eachother for this.

Vexus

None of the pics update.

Also one has ZombieCheck the other has Random Variable as variable names if that is a mistake.
Current Project/s:

Zexion

Fixed, I had put the first one twice on accident. Then I realised I used random variable on accident so I updated the top one l0l, but I didn't know i used the wrong picture for the bottom. Anywho, it's fixed